Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need Software Tool In Order To Monitor Total Download/Upload Volume

Need Software Tool In Order To Monitor Total Download/Upload Volume

Martin

Hello,

I have a term contract with my ISP, Sympatico.ca, whereby I can download
and/or upload a combined total of 60 GB per 30 days.

Anything beyond 60 GB results in additional charges.

The customer service rep informed me that the software tool that Sympatico
provides to clients does not report in real time; its stats are usually up
to 48 hours late.

I would like to obtain a *real-time* reporting tool, either on my desktop or
in my sys tray, so that I can see my volume usage as it occurs, and the
total to date per period specified.

If it's relevant, my OS is XP Pro SP2, and my browser is IE 7.

Thanks.

Martin

thanatoid

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:iEHtl.29908$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com:

> Hello,
>
> I have a term contract with my ISP, Sympatico.ca, whereby I
> can download and/or upload a combined total of 60 GB per 30
> days.
>
> Anything beyond 60 GB results in additional charges.
>
> The customer service rep informed me that the software tool
> that Sympatico provides to clients does not report in real
> time; its stats are usually up to 48 hours late.
>
> I would like to obtain a *real-time* reporting tool, either
> on my desktop or in my sys tray, so that I can see my
> volume usage as it occurs, and the total to date per period
> specified.
>
> If it's relevant, my OS is XP Pro SP2, and my browser is IE
> 7.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Martin

There are quite a few tools which monitor and log your time on
the internet, amount of material uploaded and downloaded, etc.
I suggest you go to a major software site and look under
internet utilities.

You might also consider a premium Usenet server. Usenet Rocket
and Astraweb (and possibly others) offer pay-as you go plans
which are extremely flexible and reasonably priced.

I have no experience with sympatico (except hating the idiotic
name) but judging by the general world internet provider trends,
their Usenet service's days are numbered.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

Martin

Hello,

To preclude any confusion, my 60 GB limit involves *everything* uploaded and
downloaded, not just NG posts.

That being the case, I don't understand your reference to pay-as-you-go
Usenet servers.
Were I to use one of them, wouldn't my usage still count towards the 60 GB
limit?

With respect to "Sympatico" as the name of my ISP, it's due to Canada being
an officially bilingual country.

With both English- and French-speaking clients, the ISP needed a name that
would be equally English and French, or neither English or French. It chose
the latter, which is
essentially a nonsense word.

Go figure!

Martin

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
: news:iEHtl.29908$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com:
:
: > Hello,
: >
[...]
: --
: "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
: (about thanatoid)

Keyser Söze

http://www.netlimiter.com/

--
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to
an understanding of ourselves. Jung

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,