Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IDE cabling question

IDE cabling question

Seamus J. Wilson

I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as slave.
Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the cable make
any difference.
Thank you,
Seamus J.Wilson

Dan C

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:26:40 -0700, Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

> I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as
> slave. Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the
> cable make any difference.
> Thank you,
> Seamus J.Wilson

Master on the end.

Old Codger

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
> I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as slave.
> Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the cable make
> any difference.

Don't know if this is definitive but I have always seen the master at
the end of the cable.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Evan Platt

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:26:40 -0700, "Seamus J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as slave.
>Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the cable make
>any difference.
>Thank you,

Chucktard should be along shortly to tell you the incorrect answer -
but for the most part, it's like this:
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/..._ide-cable.gif

Chucktard will tell you it's the opposite. Always. Full stop .

SteveBell

>I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as
>slave. Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on
>the cable make any difference. Thank you, Seamus J.Wilson

If you have the option, put them on different cables. Some systems
limit the transfer speed on the cable to that of the slowest device.
You don't want your hard drive performing like a CD-ROM.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Evan Platt

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:51:02 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you have the option, put them on different cables. Some systems
>limit the transfer speed on the cable to that of the slowest device.
>You don't want your hard drive performing like a CD-ROM.

I've never heard of that.

PeeCee

"Seamus J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yGCtl.83938$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as
>slave. Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the
>cable make any difference.
> Thank you,
> Seamus J.Wilson

Seamus

In Theory it should, in practice its usually ignored.

In essence if the cable has pin 28 (C Select) correctly configured 'and'
both drives are set to Cable Select then yes the position on the cable will
determine which is master and which is slave.

Confusingly 40 way IDE cables have the master in the middle, and 80 way
connectors have the master at the end.

In practice it was more normal to use the master/slave jumpers (thereby
ignoring the C Select pin) and explicitly set which was master & which was
slave irrespective of where the drive was on the cable.

This page http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html has the
details.
Best
Paul.

PeeCee

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:51:02 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If you have the option, put them on different cables. Some systems
>>limit the transfer speed on the cable to that of the slowest device.
>>You don't want your hard drive performing like a CD-ROM.

> I've never heard of that.

Evan

The theory goes if you put a device on an IDE cable that has a slower
interface speed then the interface slows down to the slower speed for 'both'
devices.

But as you can see from this Wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment it all depends...

The relevant section says:
<quote>
Two devices on one cable - speed impact
There are many debates about how much a slow device can impact the
performance of a faster device on the same cable. There is an effect, but
the debate is confused by the blurring of two quite different causes, called
here "Lowest speed" and "One operation at a time".

"Lowest speed"
It is a common misconception that, if two devices of different speed
capabilities are on the same cable, both devices' data transfers will be
constrained to the speed of the slower device.

For all modern ATA host adapters this is not true, as modern ATA host
adapters support independent device timing. This allows each device on the
cable to transfer data at its own best speed. Even with older adapters
without independent timing, this effect only applies to the data transfer
phase of a read or write operation. This is usually the shortest part of a
complete read or write operation. [15]

"One operation at a time"
This is caused by the omission of both overlapped and queued feature sets
from most parallel ATA products. Only one device on a cable can perform a
read or write operation at one time, therefore a fast device on the same
cable as a slow device under heavy use will find it has to wait for the slow
device to complete its task first.

However, most modern devices will report write operations as complete once
the data is stored in its onboard cache memory, before the data is written
to the (slow) magnetic storage. This allows commands to be sent to the other
device on the cable, reducing the impact of the "one operation at a time"
limit.

The impact of this on a system's performance depends on the application. For
example, when copying data from an optical drive to a hard drive (such as
during software installation), this effect probably doesn't matter: Such
jobs are necessarily limited by the speed of the optical drive no matter
where it is. But if the hard drive in question is also expected to provide
good throughput for other tasks at the same time, it probably should not be
on the same cable as the optical drive.
</quote>

Best
Paul.

chuckcar

"Seamus J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:yGCtl.83938$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as
> slave. Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the
> cable make any difference.

It doesn't matter. It *used* to matter with floppy drives when computers
had them. The cable had a flip in a few wires between the floppy drives.
That determined it. The drives do it with ide as you stated.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Seamus J. Wilson

Thank you all for the helpful answers.
Best,
Seamus J.
"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Seamus J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:yGCtl.83938$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a hard drive configured as master and a cd drive configured as
>> slave. Which one goes on the cable end? Does the drive location on the
>> cable make any difference.

> It doesn't matter. It *used* to matter with floppy drives when computers
> had them. The cable had a flip in a few wires between the floppy drives.
> That determined it. The drives do it with ide as you stated.
>

> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

IPS 4240 cabling question John Smith Cisco 1 11-17-2005 11:22 PM
Cabling Question Jeffery Miller Cisco 5 10-14-2004 03:09 PM
3550-pwr cabling requirements ZB Cisco 8 11-21-2003 07:40 PM
Network cabling question Alan NZ Computing 2 09-16-2003 02:00 AM
Newbie DSU WIC to V.35 (atlas 550) cabling question jamal Cisco 2 07-23-2003 06:51 PM

Advertisments