Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Running out of disk space w/two partitions

Reply
Thread Tools

Running out of disk space w/two partitions

 
 
The Stone Crusher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP Pro SP2
operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and data. I run
programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that I am running out of
disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could it be?
Goodwill,
Luke


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 00:02:06 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP Pro SP2
>operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and data. I run
>programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that I am running out of
>disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could it be?


So what is saying that you are running out of disk space? XP? Some
other program? What is the exact wording of the message?

It's also unclear - is 15 GB free or 15 GB the total size of the C
partition?
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
wisdomkiller & pain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
The Stone Crusher wrote:

> I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP Pro
> SP2
> operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and data. I
> run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that I am running
> out of
> disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could it be?
> Goodwill,
> Luke


That question, according to Dan C, should be answered with
"immeadiately _partition_ and reformat your harddisk".

Who is sending the message (window title) if you can't link the message to
that top secret program you run at that time?
What is the output of "env >env.txt" and pasting the content of "env.txt"
into a message here?
What are the mentioned 15 GB - remaining free space on C: or total?
(Obviously the former would be of bigger interest to us)
What do you see in event viewer?
Any other consequences of the message?

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Holmes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
The Stone Crusher "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP
> Pro SP2 operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and
> data. I run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that
> I am running out of disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle
> bin. What could it be? Goodwill,
> Luke
>
>


If you're in a network, turn off offline files. Then delete the
c:\windows\csc folder. By default, offline files is enabled on Windows
2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional. It's a useless feature.

--
<snip>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
John Holmes wrote:
> The Stone Crusher "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP
>> Pro SP2 operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and
>> data. I run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that
>> I am running out of disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle
>> bin. What could it be? Goodwill,
>> Luke
>>
>>

>
> If you're in a network, turn off offline files. Then delete the
> c:\windows\csc folder. By default, offline files is enabled on Windows
> 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional. It's a useless feature.


Unless of course you are using a laptop and want to take files with you
and have all the changes synced automatically.

Oh look, the OP is using a laptop!

And offline files is not enabled by default either.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009

"The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49b4a2d0$0$22533$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP Pro
>SP2 operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and data. I
>run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that I am running
>out of disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could
>it be?



What could it be? You're kidding right? It could be almost anything! Just
for openers, do a search of your entire C: drive for "*.log" and you'll
begin to get an inkling. When was the last time you cleared events from your
event viewer? How about your MRU and MUI caches? etc, etc, etc


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Holmes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
Desk Rabbit "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> John Holmes wrote:
>> The Stone Crusher "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP
>>> Pro SP2 operating system and the E: partition has all the programs

and
>>> data. I run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that
>>> I am running out of disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle
>>> bin. What could it be? Goodwill,
>>> Luke
>>>
>>>

>>
>> If you're in a network, turn off offline files. Then delete the
>> c:\windows\csc folder. By default, offline files is enabled on Windows
>> 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional. It's a useless feature.

>
> Unless of course you are using a laptop and want to take files with you
> and have all the changes synced automatically.
>
> Oh look, the OP is using a laptop!
>
> And offline files is not enabled by default either.
>


By default, "offline files" is enabled on Windows 2000 Professional and
Windows XP Professional. I wasn't talking about your XP home or Vista
Basic OS's. If the OP has W2KPRO or XPPRO, offline files are enabled, and
if the poor sod is on a network his HD will be filled with useless
offline files. Those useless files are stored in the c:\windows\csc
folder.

--
<snip>








 
Reply With Quote
 
Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
"The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP Pro SP2
>operating system and the E: partition has all the programs and data. I run
>programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that I am running out of
>disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle bin. What could it be?


Crash a lot it could be .DMP files.

I use treesize to view my disk consumption.
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml


--

http://www.coffeeandcigarettes.com/w...thefuture1.jpg
 
Reply With Quote
 
Desk Rabbit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-10-2009
John Holmes wrote:
> Desk Rabbit "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> John Holmes wrote:
>>> The Stone Crusher "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>>
>>>> I set my laptop up with two partitions: the C: partition has the XP
>>>> Pro SP2 operating system and the E: partition has all the programs

> and
>>>> data. I run programs from E: and every so ofter I receive a msg that
>>>> I am running out of disk space on C: (15 GB). It is not the recycle
>>>> bin. What could it be? Goodwill,
>>>> Luke
>>>>
>>>>
>>> If you're in a network, turn off offline files. Then delete the
>>> c:\windows\csc folder. By default, offline files is enabled on Windows
>>> 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional. It's a useless feature.

>> Unless of course you are using a laptop and want to take files with you
>> and have all the changes synced automatically.
>>
>> Oh look, the OP is using a laptop!
>>
>> And offline files is not enabled by default either.
>>

>
> By default, "offline files" is enabled on Windows 2000 Professional and
> Windows XP Professional. I wasn't talking about your XP home or Vista
> Basic OS's.


FX: Looks at fresh install of XP Pro.

Nope, offline files is not enabled

> If the OP has W2KPRO or XPPRO, offline files are enabled, and
> if the poor sod is on a network his HD will be filled with useless
> offline files. Those useless files are stored in the c:\windows\csc
> folder.


Spoken by a person who has obviously never used offline files in a
business environment for their intended purpose
 
Reply With Quote
 
wisdomkiller & pain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2009
Desk Rabbit wrote:

> John Holmes wrote:

......
>> By default, "offline files" is enabled on Windows 2000 Professional and
>> Windows XP Professional. I wasn't talking about your XP home or Vista
>> Basic OS's.

>
> FX: Looks at fresh install of XP Pro.
>
> Nope, offline files is not enabled
>
>> If the OP has W2KPRO or XPPRO, offline files are enabled, and
>> if the poor sod is on a network his HD will be filled with useless
>> offline files. Those useless files are stored in the c:\windows\csc
>> folder.

>
> Spoken by a person who has obviously never used offline files in a
> business environment for their intended purpose


Every other day we have sh*%tload of problems with offline files at
w0rkplace, using a samba pdc and mostly xp clients.
We don't want them, have all the settings disabled and populated by policy,
but often when we deploy a new pc, due to some mysterios network flaw or
whatever, there is this offline symbol and user sees only half (if at all)
of his folders in the redirected home share. Logon script doesn't run, as
well, and, probably because of disabled offline user settings, even sync
doesn't work.
On the samba server, "csc policy" is turned to manual or off, but that
doesn't do anything either.
The only remedy is to start as local admin in safe mode with cmd, and then
delete the offline (csc) folder which already holds a truckload of sh$%t.
Replacing the csc folder with a file with the same name (and setting
system/hidden/readonly attributes like for the folder) as well as
deregistering/renaming mobsync.dll and mobsync.exe may help prevent that
occuring again.
Our pc's are not imaged, just setup unattended, and we certainly do not want
to deliberately enable offline files.
There *may* be some network or samba server flaw causing this problem, but
we were not able to find out till now. It does not happen every time
but ... well, just again yesterday

For laptops, we would like to be able to use offline files - but it doesn't
work with our multi location setup. Accessing the homeshare on another
branch office, with another (local) domain server - though the files are
replicated across locations or mounted - will not work because of the
different ip address/dns name of the server, keeping the client "offline".
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forte/Agent 4 running out of disk space The Stone Crusher Computer Support 11 08-11-2009 07:55 PM
Factory 002 write error when running full restore. Possibly out of disk space smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com Computer Support 3 07-28-2006 11:09 PM
Getting "not enough disk space error" when there is plenty of disk space Jas Shultz ASP .Net 0 12-03-2003 05:07 PM
Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of 8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok?? Christian Seberino Python 21 10-27-2003 04:20 PM
Stack space, global space, heap space Shuo Xiang C Programming 10 07-11-2003 07:30 PM



Advertisments