Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How many

How many

Old Gringo

How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?
--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

Whiskers

On 2009-03-08, Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

As many as have a person capable of carrying a stack of tape-reels or
discs from one news-server to another across an international border. As
it was done before the internet made it so much quicker and easier.

I suppose there are some individuals or communities who have no means af
accessing usenet. Very remote islands, etc.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Whiskers wrote:

> Old Gringo wrote:
>> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

All of them?

> I suppose there are some individuals or communities who have no means
> af accessing usenet. Very remote islands, etc.

Satellite dishes work on remote islands, don't they?

--
-bts

Whiskers

On 2009-03-08, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>
>> Old Gringo wrote:
>>> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

> All of them?
>
>> I suppose there are some individuals or communities who have no means
>> af accessing usenet. Very remote islands, etc.

> Satellite dishes work on remote islands, don't they?

If they have electricity and fall within a suitable 'footprint'. And can
afford the expense.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

chuckcar

Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsWVsl.24509$(E-Mail Removed):

> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

That *could* be answered possibly if the definition of a country was clear
cut. Is the Vatican a country? Monaco? North Korea? South Korea? Tibet?
How about Kurdistan? The list goes on and on.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Whiskers wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Whiskers wrote:

>> All of them?
>>
>>> I suppose there are some individuals or communities who have no
>>> means af accessing usenet. Very remote islands, etc.

>> Satellite dishes work on remote islands, don't they?

> If they have electricity and fall within a suitable 'footprint'. And
> can afford the expense.

Solar power! Or hand-crank generators. Or windmills. Or ...

<http://www.vetula.com/blog-radio/stories/2002/11/21/userExperiencesWithSateliteInternetAccess.html>
"Down in Antarctica, the only internet access available is by
satellite.." - so pretty much anywhere, I'd guess.

For expense, we'll give 'em a Stimulus check.

--
-bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> Old Gringo wrote:
>
>> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

> That *could* be answered possibly if the definition of a country was clear
> cut. Is the Vatican a country? Monaco? North Korea? South Korea? Tibet?
> How about Kurdistan? The list goes on and on.

<boggle> No, the Vatican, Monaco, North Korea, etc. are not
countries...

Only Sandwich Island is a country.

--
-bts

Evan Platt

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 23:29:07 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>newsWVsl.24509$(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> How many countries are connected or can subscribe to USENET?

>That *could* be answered possibly if the definition of a country was clear
>cut. Is the Vatican a country? Monaco? North Korea? South Korea? Tibet?
>How about Kurdistan? The list goes on and on.

You are such an idiot.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> chuckcar wrote:
>>>
>>> That *could* be answered possibly if the definition of a country
>>> was clear cut. Is the Vatican a country? Monaco? North Korea? South
>>> Korea? Tibet? How about Kurdistan? The list goes on and on.

>> <boggle> No, the Vatican, Monaco, North Korea, etc. are not
>> countries...
>>

> The UN calls *all* the above countries. What's *your* proof?

Well, of course they are all countries. I guess you didn't see the humor
of me poking fun at you for actually asking if they were. (and what that
had to do with the question)

I have never seen a useless ****.

--
-bts

chuckcar

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gp1mg7$1h3$(E-Mail Removed):