Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > non-standard characters

Reply
Thread Tools

non-standard characters

 
 
thedarkman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2009
Hi,

does anyone know how to code a musical flat sign? I could use an
italicised b but figured there must be one. Also, the stressed W as in
Owain Glyndŵr. Finally, does anyone know what the extended F - ASC 159
is called?

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Awful Dog Autry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2009
On 07 Mar 2009, thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone know how to code a musical flat sign? I could use an
> italicised b but figured there must be one. Also, the stressed W as in
> Owain Glyndŵr. Finally, does anyone know what the extended F - ASC 159
> is called?
>
> Thanks


http://www.lib.virginia.edu/artsandm.../UnicodeMusic/


--
Awful Dog Autry
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-07-2009
thedarkman wrote:

> does anyone know how to code a musical flat sign?


Hint: Google for
fileformat.info "flat sign"
and you'll find U+266D, representable in HTML e.g. as &#x266d;.

Another useful approach is to start from
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/index.html#links

Usual caveats apply; see especially
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...ontsupport.htm

In practice, though, if you use, say,
<span class="special">Ċd;</span>
with the CSS rule
..special { font-family: Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode; }
then most visitors will see the flat sign. Others will see some box or
question mark.

> I could use an italicised b


The flat sign resembles the letter b (and is historically based on it), but
there's nothing italics-like with it - it isn't even slanted.

> Also, the stressed W as in
> Owain Glyndŵr.


Hint: As a letter, it's w with circumflex.

> Finally, does anyone know what the extended F - ASC 159
> is called?


There is no such thing. The ASCII code range ends at 127 decimal. Always
did, and always will.

But presumably you mean the character that has code number 159 decimal in
code page 850. In Unicode, it's called "Latin small letter f with hook",
U+0192. It has a "mnemonic" name in HTML: &fnof; (but I'd rather write it as
such, in suitable encoding, or as &#x192; if I even found some need to use
it).

None of these characters is non-standard; they are all defined in the
Unicode Standard and the ISO 10646 standard.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

 
Reply With Quote
 
thedarkman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
Thanks but I'm none the wiser, now how do I write a flat sign in a web
page, and a stressed W. If you actually know?

On 7 Mar, 18:06, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> thedarkman wrote:
> > does anyone know how to code a musical flat sign?

>
> Hint: Google for
> fileformat.info "flat sign"
> and you'll find U+266D, representable in HTML e.g. as &#x266d;.
>
> Another useful approach is to start fromhttp://www.alanwood.net/unicode/index.html#links
>
> Usual caveats apply; see especiallyhttp://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/266d/fontsupport.htm
>
> In practice, though, if you use, say,
> <span class="special">Ċd;</span>
> with the CSS rule
> .special { font-family: Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode; }
> then most visitors will see the flat sign. Others will see some box or
> question mark.
>
> > I could use an italicised b

>
> The flat sign resembles the letter b (and is historically based on it), but
> there's nothing italics-like with it - it isn't even slanted.
>
> > Also, the stressed W as in
> > Owain Glyndŵr.

>
> Hint: As a letter, it's w with circumflex.
>
> > Finally, does anyone know what the extended F - ASC 159
> > is called?

>
> There is no such thing. The ASCII code range ends at 127 decimal. Always
> did, and always will.
>
> But presumably you mean the character that has code number 159 decimal in
> code page 850. In Unicode, it's called "Latin small letter f with hook",
> U+0192. It has a "mnemonic" name in HTML: &fnof; (but I'd rather write it as
> such, in suitable encoding, or as &#x192; if I even found some need to use
> it).
>
> None of these characters is non-standard; they are all defined in the
> Unicode Standard and the ISO 10646 standard.
>
> --
> Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/


 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2009-03-08, thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Thanks but I'm none the wiser, now how do I write a flat sign in a web
> > page

>
> Well he told you, although actually there does seem to be a small error.
>
> He suggested:
>
> >> In practice, though, if you use, say,
> >> <span class="special">Ċd;</span>
> >> with the CSS rule
> >> .special { font-family: Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode; }
> >> then most visitors will see the flat sign. Others will see some box or
> >> question mark.

>
> That should be &#x266d;... You need the x because 266d is a
> hexadecimal number.


And a very nice shape too:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/flatDisplay.html>

(OP should use span in his context, unlike here)

For those of you with MacIE 5 on Macs, some surprising behaviour as you
change text size in browser. All this, by the way.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
thedarkman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
The first one makes a square, the second gives a W but with the wrong
type of stress. Thanks anyway.

On 8 Mar, 21:55, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> *Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 2009-03-08, thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Thanks but I'm none the wiser, now how do I write a flat sign in a web
> > > page

>
> > Well he told you, although actually there does seem to be a small error..

>
> > He suggested:

>
> > >> In practice, though, if you use, say,
> > >> <span class="special">Ċd;</span>
> > >> with the CSS rule
> > >> .special { font-family: Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode; }
> > >> then most visitors will see the flat sign. Others will see some box or
> > >> question mark.

>
> > That should be &#x266d;... You need the x because 266d is a
> > hexadecimal number.

>
> And a very nice shape too:
>
> <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/flatDisplay.html>
>
> (OP should use span in his context, unlike here)
>
> For those of you with MacIE 5 on Macs, some surprising behaviour as you
> change text size in browser. All this, by the way.
>
> --
> dorayme- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
thedarkman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > <http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/flatDisplay.html>


>
> The first one makes a square, the second gives a W but with the wrong
> type of stress. Thanks anyway.


And what does the only one thing in the URL give? Roger Rabbit?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
thedarkman wrote:

> The first one makes a square, the second gives a W but with the wrong
> type of stress.


I actually wrote about caveats, too. But you seem to keep missing points
since you quote comprehensively instead of reading comprehensively.

> Thanks anyway.


You're welcome. To get real help, you need to read the responses you get -
and to post a URL (and specify browser).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

 
Reply With Quote
 
thedarkman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-10-2009

I'm using Internet Explorer 6; I really thought this would be simple;
if for example I want to key a stressed E in Word /I put on Numbers
lock, hold down the alt key and key in 130; isn't there something as
simple as that for a flat sign?

Thanks



On 9 Mar, 20:01, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> thedarkman wrote:
> > The first one makes a square, the second gives a W but with the wrong
> > type of stress.

>
> I actually wrote about caveats, too. But you seem to keep missing points
> since you quote comprehensively instead of reading comprehensively.
>
> > Thanks anyway.

>
> You're welcome. To get real help, you need to read the responses you get -
> and to post a URL (and specify browser).
>
> --
> Yucca,http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pointers to constant characters and constant pointers to characters sam_cit@yahoo.co.in C Programming 4 12-14-2006 11:10 PM
How to convert HTML special characters to the real characters with a Java script Stefan Mueller HTML 3 07-23-2006 10:09 PM
Reversible replacement of whitespace characters with visible characters Micah Python 2 06-02-2006 09:55 PM
Convert Raw Text Escaped Characters to Characters nicholas.wakefield@gmail.com Java 2 07-11-2005 09:17 PM
help-> xslt transformation to pdf (chinese characters changed to # characters) omegaman XML 1 09-21-2004 10:44 PM



Advertisments