Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > 2 sites or not 2 sites

2 sites or not 2 sites

Yitzak

Hi Just started developing in asp.net, v.new to web development.

I'm building a site whose pages are stored in a DB. This is so I can
develop a content management part or site, which will allow logged in
users to change content.

I need to share stuff bewteen the sites. E.G. so I can use master
pages from main site in content management site for previewing before
user commits new page to DB.

If I separate into 2 sites I can run them as 2 different windows
users:
1. Main site - read only on Database
2. Content site - read/write

If only one site I can achieve this by using SQL authentication i.e.
the 2 parts of the same site would create 2 diff connections - but
that means storing connection string with userid & pwd somehwere.
Isn't this dangerous?

Can you configure part of a site to run under 2 diff user
credentials?

If creating new site get new site to use pages from the main when in
VS2008?

Advice would be appreciated, pls note I know v.little Asp.net and
still very very much finding my way around at this planning stage.

Thanks

bruce barker

you should look a Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS). Its included with
server 2003 r2, or server 2008.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Yitzak wrote:
> Hi Just started developing in asp.net, v.new to web development.
>
> I'm building a site whose pages are stored in a DB. This is so I can
> develop a content management part or site, which will allow logged in
> users to change content.
>
> I need to share stuff bewteen the sites. E.G. so I can use master
> pages from main site in content management site for previewing before
> user commits new page to DB.
>
> If I separate into 2 sites I can run them as 2 different windows
> users:
> 1. Main site - read only on Database
> 2. Content site - read/write
>
> If only one site I can achieve this by using SQL authentication i.e.
> the 2 parts of the same site would create 2 diff connections - but
> that means storing connection string with userid & pwd somehwere.
> Isn't this dangerous?
>
> Can you configure part of a site to run under 2 diff user
> credentials?
>
> If creating new site get new site to use pages from the main when in
> VS2008?
>
> Advice would be appreciated, pls note I know v.little Asp.net and
> still very very much finding my way around at this planning stage.
>
> Thanks

Yitzak

On 7 Mar, 23:52, bruce barker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> you should look a Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS). Its included with
> server 2003 r2, or server 2008.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> Yitzak wrote:
> > Hi Just started developing in asp.net, v.new to web development.

> > I'm building a site whose pages are stored in a DB. This is so I can
> > develop a content management part or site, which will allow logged in
> > users to change content.

> > I need to share stuff bewteen the sites. E.G. so I can use master
> > pages from main site in content management site for previewing before
> > user commits new page to DB.

> > If I separate into 2 sites I can run them as 2 different windows
> > users:
> > 1. Main site - read only on Database
> > 2. Content site - read/write

> > If only one site I can achieve this by using SQL authentication i.e.
> > the 2 parts of the same site would create 2 diff connections - but
> > that means storing connection string with userid & pwd somehwere.
> > Isn't this dangerous?

> > Can you configure part of a site to run under 2 diff user
> > credentials?

> > If creating new site get new site to use pages from the main when in
> > VS2008?

> > Advice would be appreciated, pls note I know v.little Asp.net and
> > still very very much finding my way around at this planning stage.

> > Thanks

Thanks not sure if we have it

Hillbilly

Windows SharePoint Services comes bundled -free- with all Windows Server
Operating Systems --BUT-- to deploy SharePoint Server (a different product
built on WSS) to the public is outrageoulsy expensive. Last time I looked
(some time ago) it cost $30,000!

The first thing a developer needs to learn is how to google. If you will
google you will learn how to share a database with multiple sites without
SharePoint.

"Yitzak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 7 Mar, 23:52, bruce barker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> you should look a Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS). Its included with
>> server 2003 r2, or server 2008.
>>
>> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>>
>> Yitzak wrote:
>> > Hi Just started developing in asp.net, v.new to web development.

>> > I'm building a site whose pages are stored in a DB. This is so I can
>> > develop a content management part or site, which will allow logged in
>> > users to change content.

>> > I need to share stuff bewteen the sites. E.G. so I can use master
>> > pages from main site in content management site for previewing before
>> > user commits new page to DB.

>> > If I separate into 2 sites I can run them as 2 different windows
>> > users:
>> > 1. Main site - read only on Database
>> > 2. Content site - read/write

>> > If only one site I can achieve this by using SQL authentication i.e.
>> > the 2 parts of the same site would create 2 diff connections - but
>> > that means storing connection string with userid & pwd somehwere.
>> > Isn't this dangerous?

>> > Can you configure part of a site to run under 2 diff user
>> > credentials?

>> > If creating new site get new site to use pages from the main when in
>> > VS2008?

>> > Advice would be appreciated, pls note I know v.little Asp.net and
>> > still very very much finding my way around at this planning stage.

>> > Thanks

> Thanks not sure if we have it

Alexey Smirnov

On Mar 9, 4:48*pm, "Hillbilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Windows SharePoint Services comes bundled -free- with all Windows Server
> Operating Systems --BUT-- to deploy SharePoint Server (a different product
> built on WSS) to the public is outrageoulsy expensive. Last time I looked
> (some time ago) it cost $30,000!
>
> The first thing a developer needs to learn is how to google. If you will
> google you will learn how to share a database with multiple sites without
> SharePoint.
>
> "Yitzak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On 7 Mar, 23:52, bruce barker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> you should look a Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS). Its included with
> >> server 2003 r2, or server 2008.

> >> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

> > Thanks not sure if we have it

What all this answers are about? What SharePoint? He's asking about
ASP.NET.

Yitzak, your question depends on how user has been authenticated. Do
you use Windows Authentication, or Forms Authentication?

As for the password, you might consider to use Trusted SQL Server
Connection. This allows the user to bypass the standard SQL Server
logon process. With this approach, a network user can access a SQL
Server database without supplying a separate logon identification or
password because SQL Server obtains the user and password information
from the Windows NT network security process.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...net+sql+server
http://jingyeluo.blogspot.com/2004/1...-between..html

Hope this helps

Andrew Morton

Yitzak wrote:
> but
> that means storing connection string with userid & pwd somehwere.
> Isn't this dangerous?

"Encrypting Web.config sections in ASP.NET 2.0"
http://www.developerfusion.com/code/...-in-aspnet-20/

Andrew

using python to visit web sites and print the web sites image to files imx Python 10 03-14-2007 02:19 PM
Sites about web-sites ? Jasbird HTML 1 09-28-2006 06:21 PM
How do prevent sites to be loaded in other sites frames? Stefan Caliandro HTML 2 02-14-2005 06:05 PM
Can not access Certain sites Jeremy McMasters Cisco 6 09-23-2004 07:27 PM
ISO: Web sites for images (pay sites preferred) Kevin Buchan ASP .Net 1 02-20-2004 09:34 AM

Advertisments