Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Trying to understand dual core processors

Trying to understand dual core processors

muzician21

Trying to understand the breakdown of things as far as dual core
systems. Things got a little murky for me since it isn't simply
Pentium -whatever- and an ever higher gig number.

I've got a 2.4 gig P4. How does that compare both to early dual cores
and to whatever the current fastest processors are?

Is there good a site that shows the breakdown of things as far as the
history of processors to present day?

Thanks

El.Plates

"kony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 03:56:09 -0800 (PST), muzician21
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Trying to understand the breakdown of things as far as dual core
>>systems. Things got a little murky for me since it isn't simply
>>Pentium -whatever- and an ever higher gig number.
>>
>>I've got a 2.4 gig P4. How does that compare both to early dual cores
>>and to whatever the current fastest processors are?
>>
>>Is there good a site that shows the breakdown of things as far as the
>>history of processors to present day?
>>
>>Thanks

Why don't you try a search engine ?
I just tried one (Google) on your behalf. Entering "history of processors
to present day" which produced a return of:
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,650,000 for history

of processors

to present day

.. (0.27 seconds)

Why don't you try it as well ?

tommy mcc [motz]

"muzician21" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying to understand the breakdown of things as far as dual core
> systems. Things got a little murky for me since it isn't simply
> Pentium -whatever- and an ever higher gig number.
>
> I've got a 2.4 gig P4. How does that compare both to early dual cores
> and to whatever the current fastest processors are?
>
> Is there good a site that shows the breakdown of things as far as the
> history of processors to present day?
>
> Thanks

any good A+ certification book will have a history of cpu development
depends on how deep you want to go. Michael Meyers A+ book is extremely
comprehensive very detailed on all subject matter including cpu history
Just make sure you get the latest if you want the latest info
here's a free study guide page showing up through the dual cores
http://www.mcmcse.com/comptia/aplus/...ocessors.shtml
A+ has 2 parts hardware and software. Cpu history will be in the hardware
section

--
Tommy

Sinner

All of you mucking forons could have dropped alt.windows-xp from the
address, but...........

"Band" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "muzician21" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Trying to understand the breakdown of things as far as dual core
>> systems. Things got a little murky for me since it isn't simply
>> Pentium -whatever- and an ever higher gig number.
>>
>> I've got a 2.4 gig P4. How does that compare both to early dual cores
>> and to whatever the current fastest processors are?
>>
>> Is there good a site that shows the breakdown of things as far as the
>> history of processors to present day?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Sigh, you're a google grouper who typically doesn't know
> how to use google.
>
> Do a search with these terms:
> Multi Core
> dual core vs quad core
> dual core, gaming
>
> Then there is the issues of compatibility - appropriate slot!
> Cooling, overclocking. Etc
> Do your own searching.

sandy58

On Mar 7, 12:33*pm, "Band" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "muzician21" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Trying to understand the breakdown of things as far as dual core
> > systems. Things got a little murky for me since it isn't simply
> > Pentium -whatever- and an ever higher gig number.

> > I've got a 2.4 gig P4. How does that compare both to early dual cores
> > and to whatever the current fastest processors are?

> > Is there good a site that shows the breakdown of things as far as the
> > history of processors to present day?

> > Thanks

> Sigh, you're a google grouper who typically doesn't know
> how to use google.
>
> Do a search with these terms:
> Multi Core
> dual core vs quad core
> dual core, gaming
>
> Then there is the issues of compatibility - appropriate slot!
> Cooling, overclocking. Etc
> Do your own searching.

"Sigh, you're a google grouper who typically doesn't know
how to use google."
Favourite expression of yours, "strange person".
It's maybe just as well you change your name so often, ****-for-
brainz.
That Troll & UnWise One, Ronnie Kray, Nancy, Ken.......is Barbie Next?
Do you have a "gender" problem? Like it's "that day of the month"? Hit
out at all "definite" males/females? Jealous? What a prick(less?) ****
you are. I haven't yet seen ONE helpful suggestion issued from your
gaping ****-hole you use as a mouth. "Talking ****" takes on a whole
new concept after your crap. Don't be a total arsehole ALL your life.
Have a day off.

El.Plates

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mar 7, 12:33 pm, "Band" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "muzician21" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > Trying to understand the breakdown of things as far as dual core
>> > systems. Things got a little murky for me since it isn't simply
>> > Pentium -whatever- and an ever higher gig number.

>> > I've got a 2.4 gig P4. How does that compare both to early dual cores
>> > and to whatever the current fastest processors are?

>> > Is there good a site that shows the breakdown of things as far as the
>> > history of processors to present day?

>> > Thanks

>> Sigh, you're a google grouper who typically doesn't know
>> how to use google.
>>
>> Do a search with these terms:
>> Multi Core
>> dual core vs quad core
>> dual core, gaming
>>
>> Then there is the issues of compatibility - appropriate slot!
>> Cooling, overclocking. Etc
>> Do your own searching.

> "Sigh, you're a google grouper who typically doesn't know
> how to use google."
> Favourite expression of yours, "strange person".
> It's maybe just as well you change your name so often, ****-for-
> brainz.
> That Troll & UnWise One, Ronnie Kray, Nancy, Ken.......is Barbie Next?
> Do you have a "gender" problem? Like it's "that day of the month"? Hit
> out at all "definite" males/females? Jealous? What a prick(less?) ****
> you are. I haven't yet seen ONE helpful suggestion issued from your
> gaping ****-hole you use as a mouth. "Talking ****" takes on a whole
> new concept after your crap. Don't be a total arsehole ALL your life.
> Have a day off.

How's sandy58 today

Colon Terminus

"muzician21" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying to understand the breakdown of things as far as dual core
> systems. Things got a little murky for me since it isn't simply
> Pentium -whatever- and an ever higher gig number.
>
> I've got a 2.4 gig P4. How does that compare both to early dual cores
> and to whatever the current fastest processors are?
>
> Is there good a site that shows the breakdown of things as far as the
> history of processors to present day?
>
> Thanks

Download, install and run Sisoft SANDRA.

You can see a comparison of your systems actual performance versus thousands
of other systems.

sandy58

On Mar 7, 4:45*pm, "El.Plates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > On Mar 7, 12:33 pm, "Band" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> "muzician21" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> >> Sigh, you're a google grouper who typically doesn't know
> >> how to use google.

> >> Do a search with these terms:
> >> Multi Core
> >> dual core vs quad core
> >> dual core, gaming

> >> Then there is the issues of compatibility - appropriate slot!
> >> Cooling, overclocking. Etc
> >> Do your own searching.

> > "Sigh, you're a google grouper who typically doesn't know
> > how to use google."
> > Favourite expression of yours, "strange person".
> > It's maybe just as well you change your name so often, ****-for-
> > brainz.
> > That Troll & UnWise One, Ronnie Kray, Nancy, Ken.......is Barbie Next?
> > Do you have a "gender" problem? Like it's "that day of the month"? Hit
> > out at all "definite" males/females? Jealous? What a prick(less?) ****
> > you are. I haven't yet seen ONE helpful suggestion issued from your
> > gaping ****-hole you use as a mouth. "Talking ****" takes on a whole
> > new concept after your crap. Don't be a total arsehole ALL your life.
> > Have a day off.

> How's sandy58 today

Me, El Plates? I'm just a lowdown google grouper. <sigh>

deerslayer

Colon Terminus wrote:
> "muzician21" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Trying to understand the breakdown of things as far as dual core
>> systems. Things got a little murky for me since it isn't simply
>> Pentium -whatever- and an ever higher gig number.
>>
>> I've got a 2.4 gig P4. How does that compare both to early dual cores
>> and to whatever the current fastest processors are?
>>
>> Is there good a site that shows the breakdown of things as far as the
>> history of processors to present day?
>>
>> Thanks

> Download, install and run Sisoft SANDRA.
>
> You can see a comparison of your systems actual performance versus
> thousands of other systems.

This was an excellent suggestion unlike the several entries prior. The
short answer of course is that the 2.4GHz P4 is much slower than dual core
CPUs even those at slower clock speeds. SANDRA will show this graphically
in its performance module, rating the subject system to average performance
of several other CPU types.

Sinner

This might be a good discussion for alt.comp.hardware, but it's so far off
topic in alt.windows-xp as to be wasted bandwidth. I can guarantee that the
typical user cannot tell the difference between the speeds of machines
running P4's or Dual-Core processors. Word will look equally quick on both.

So, quit your ****ing cross-posting you stupid moron!!!!

news:TWWsl.13283$(E-Mail Removed)...