Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > laptop - vista not loading

laptop - vista not loading

Enkidu

Your Name wrote:
> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:49b2e6af$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> System recovery disks are essential. System restore points are useless.

> ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
> forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.

Yeah right. So that the user can lose them within 5 seconds of opening
the box. It's a fairly good idea to put the install media on the HDD.
Then it can't be lost. It is a fairly good idea to let the user make a
backup of the install media too.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gothav$q6i$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:

> I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
> losing files when improperly disconnected.

That's interesting, because I've seen people insist that using journalling
on a flash device is a bad idea, because it wears out the device faster. Not
that I consider that a valid excuse for giving up the extra protection
<http://groups.google.co.nz/group/alt.os.linux/msg/15f243eb89dcd2d5>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gout4a$m9i$(E-Mail Removed)>, Your Name wrote:

> ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
> forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.

The last PC I bought used a nifty feature called "unionfs", which meant that
the original OS install remained untouched, in a partition that was mounted
read-only, and all user changes went into a separate partition. There's a
boot option to wipe the user area, thereby restoring the machine to its
factory-installed state.

PeeCee

"Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:got62s$i0k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:37:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
>> <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:got09m$4ef$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Panic over - fixed it.

>> So - what was the fix
>>
>> --
>> Crash

> Her boot up options were displaying for about 1 second!
> It took me around 5 reboots to see there was (among the Fn options) a F11
> system recovery.
> Had a HP partition on it which must have had the Vista install files.
> Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
> formatted usb drive to copy them to. Didn't have one to hand so she's lost
> her files but regained her laptop.
>
> Will be telling her the merits of system recovery disks and system restore
> points when she comes to collect it.
>
> --
> Jack Spratt

mmmm!
Methinks there were several options you could have tried first before
blowing the clients personal data away.
You could have removed the drive and mounted it in a USB caddy and copied
the files.
Or booted from UBCD for Windows or Linux CD and copied them that way.
Maybe even booting from a Vista install CD and doing a Repair install.
(haven't had to do a Vista one yet, but XP parks the old profile to one side
so most of the personal stuff is still there)
& of course one hopes you have a running PC to hand you could have
reformatted a USB drive to NTFS with.

P.

Your Name

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49b2fad9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Your Name wrote:
> > "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:49b2e6af$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> System recovery disks are essential. System restore points are useless.

> > ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather

than
> > forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.
> >

> Yeah right. So that the user can lose them within 5 seconds of opening
> the box. It's a fairly good idea to put the install media on the HDD.
> Then it can't be lost. It is a fairly good idea to let the user make a
> backup of the install media too.

So when the HDD crashes, you can't get at the "install media" either -
putting it on the hard drive is one of the dumbest ideas (of MANY) ever to
be put into practice, especially when you expect novice users to understand
they have to burn their own discs from that ... many of them can only just
about turn the computer on.

There is no "100% safe" option and you can't help what idiots do - if the
user is hopless enough to lose factory pressed CDs / DVDs, they are also
going to lose home-made CD-R / DVD-R discs as well, whether it's burnt from
the hard drive or backed up from the original discs. You've also got the
problem that home-made discs are less reliable than proper factory-pressed
ones.

Although, with many people these days upgrading their computers every 10
seconds to the "newest toy on the block", it doesn't really matter what you
do since they probably won't ever need the "install media" anyway.

Bryce Utting

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>> I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
>> losing files when improperly disconnected.

> That's interesting, because I've seen people insist that using journalling
> on a flash device is a bad idea, because it wears out the device faster.

errrrm, not all USB drives are flash.

(in fact I think the OP referred to "external HD" at one point)

butting

--
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~butting
Besides, speeding and lane-splitting is specifically encouraged

Enkidu

Your Name wrote:
> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:49b2fad9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Your Name wrote:
>>> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:49b2e6af$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box,
>>> rather

> than
>>> forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies
>>> do.
>>>

>> Yeah right. So that the user can lose them within 5 seconds of
>> opening the box. It's a fairly good idea to put the install media
>> on the HDD. Then it can't be lost. It is a fairly good idea to let
>> the user make a backup of the install media too.

> So when the HDD crashes, you can't get at the "install media" either
> - putting it on the hard drive is one of the dumbest ideas (of MANY)
> ever to be put into practice, especially when you expect novice users
> to understand they have to burn their own discs from that ... many of
> them can only just about turn the computer on.

The Acers prompt you on first boot to create the backup media, and steps
you through the process. I've recovered a couple of machines from the on
disk install media. It's a good idea - it's not meant to recover from a
disk failure. Just a screwed or virus infected OS.

> There is no "100% safe" option and you can't help what idiots do - if
> the user is hopeless enough to lose factory pressed CDs / DVDs, they
> are also going to lose home-made CD-R / DVD-R discs as well, whether
> it's burnt from the hard drive or backed up from the original discs.
> You've also got the problem that home-made discs are less reliable
> than proper factory-pressed ones.

No, if the user manages to make backup copies of the install media, then
they are more likely to realise the importance of the CD/DVDs that are
created.

> Although, with many people these days upgrading their computers every
> 10 seconds to the "newest toy on the block", it doesn't really matter
> what you do since they probably won't ever need the "install media"
> anyway.

Many people upgrade them when they are totally infected by viruses and
malware.

Cheers,

Cliff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gout4a$m9i$(E-Mail Removed)>, Your Name wrote:

> ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
> forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.

Then again, customers don't like to pay extra for little things like that.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gov3h4$pns$(E-Mail Removed)>, Bryce Utting wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <gothav$q6i$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard wrote:
>>
>>> I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
>>> losing files when improperly disconnected.

>> That's interesting, because I've seen people insist that using
>> journalling on a flash device is a bad idea, because it wears out the
>> device faster.

> errrrm, not all USB drives are flash.

Not sure why the question would have arisen otherwise.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gov48s$qak$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <gout4a$m9i$(E-Mail Removed)>, Your Name wrote:
>
>> ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
>> forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.

> Then again, customers don't like to pay extra for little things like that.

Actually no, I think it was Microsoft that stopped the vendors from doing
that for Windows.