Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Wireless Routers and Cable Service

Re: Wireless Routers and Cable Service

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

> I use Optimum On Line and they advertise "up to 15Mbps" on their
> service. I have a dedicated line coming into the modem. Doesn't share
> my cable TV. Lately, I've been getting way less than what I consider
> an decent speed. After two phone calls to tech support, they sent a
> tech out today. He says that my signal into the modem is fine. Even a
> little above average. But he also said that the fact that I have a
> wireless router hooked up, can slow down the signal to my computer

Test this. Don't use the wireless; use an Ethernet cable and go direct.
Retest your speed. Wireless is (almost) always slower than a direct
connection to the same pipe.

I've got RoadRunner 10Mbps, and usually get 9.3-9.7 except after school
and early evening when it may dip to 7.5-8.0...

(Yes, Optimum is cable, Evan... New York City and surrounding area.
<g>)

http://optimum.com/support/optimum_stores.jsp

--
-bts

Evan Platt

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:08:35 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(Yes, Optimum is cable, Evan... New York City and surrounding area.
><g>)
>
>http://optimum.com/support/optimum_stores.jsp

Yeah, I was lazy.