Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > LAN Connection & Wireless in Windows XP

LAN Connection & Wireless in Windows XP

scadav

All,

I have a laptop that has a wireless card and also an Ethernet connection.
When I plug directly into my wireless router via the Ethernet cable, my
wireless connection will still pass data through. I disable my wireless
connection to force traffic over the Ethernet, but I am not sure that is
what I am supposed to do.

I would think that windows would look at the link speed of the two
connections and send all traffic over the better one, but my system clearly
proves that is not what happens. Does anyone know of a setting in windows
where you prioritize your connections?

Thanks in advance

Guy Smith

Try putting a bridge between the two connections. Go to Network Connections,
highlight both Lan and wireless connections, right click and select bridge
connections.

=?Utf-8?B?V2lnaHRvbg==?=

Hi,

I would recommend reordering the list of connections you have for
networking, by this I mean, going into

Control Panel | Network Connections

Click on the “Advanced” menu item

Click “Advanced Settings”

On the “Adapters and Bindings” tab look at the list of connections you have,
if you require you LAN to have priority over you WLAN, then move the LAN
connection to the top and WLAN below using the Green arrows on the right hand
side.

This might help, cant guarantee it but it’s another option to try if the
first suggestion didn’t work.

Kind regards,

Stuart.