Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Windows install to custom location after building from source

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows install to custom location after building from source

 
 
Tim Golden
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
Martin v. L÷wis wrote:
>> What does the merge do? I can't find mention of it
>> in the docs.

>
> It merges the msvcrt merge module into the installer (and then
> monkey patches it, to revert the msm decision of setting
> ALLUSERS). I tried to integrate it originally as a step
> after creating the msi. Unfortunately, the merge object refused
> to open the database, claiming that the file is in use (even
> though I had closed it). Hence I need to processes. If you
> can figure out how to combine them into one, again, that
> would be much appreciated.



At the moment, I'm struggling to make it work at all

First, it relies on config.py whose existence msi.py
optionally ignores. I've created a dummy, based on the
settings in msi.py. Then I get a COM error, reproduced
below. I've got to go and do something else at the moment
but I'll look into it afterwards. I'll dump the traceback
here in case it rings any bells.

TJG

<dump>
Opened Log
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "merge.py", line 79, in <module>
merge(msi, "SharedCRT", "TARGETDIR", modules)
File "merge.py", line 27, in merge
m.OpenDatabase(msi)
File "<COMObject Msm.Merge2.1>", line 2, in OpenDatabase
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None, None, None, 0, -2147024786), None)
[33419 refs]

</dump>

TJG
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gabriel Genellina
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
En Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:08:50 -0200, Martin v. L÷wis <(E-Mail Removed)>
escribiˇ:

>> What does the merge do? I can't find mention of it
>> in the docs.

>
> It merges the msvcrt merge module into the installer (and then
> monkey patches it, to revert the msm decision of setting
> ALLUSERS). I tried to integrate it originally as a step


merge.py attempts to import config.py but I can't find it...

--
Gabriel Genellina

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Krishnakant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
hello all, Sorry for the frustrated mail.

This is my last attempt to search for a nice python library for creating
open document spreadsheet.

I tryed python-ooolib but did not find a few features like merging cells
(may be I am missing out some thing stupid ).

I have asked for some help before on this topic but seems there is no
such library in python.

Pritty strange that python can't do this much.

So please tell me if any one knows of a good solution for my problem
else I am forced to give up python for my task.

happy hacking/
Krishnakant.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin v. L÷wis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
> First, it relies on config.py whose existence msi.py
> optionally ignores.


Feel free to create a patch for that.

> File "<COMObject Msm.Merge2.1>", line 2, in OpenDatabase
> pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None,
> None, None, 0, -2147024786), None)


This is 0x8007006e; 0x6E, in turn, might be ERROR_OPEN_FAILED.
Did you pass the file name of the MSI file? If not, it computed
one, and may have done so incorrectly.

Regards,
Martin
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin v. L÷wis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
> merge.py attempts to import config.py but I can't find it...

Just create an empty one.

Martin
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin v. L÷wis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
> merge.py attempts to import config.py but I can't find it...

Just create an empty one.

Martin
 
Reply With Quote
 
JanC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
Krishnakant wrote:

> This is my last attempt to search for a nice python library for creating
> open document spreadsheet.
>
> I tryed python-ooolib but did not find a few features like merging cells
> (may be I am missing out some thing stupid ).


You could add that feature to python-ooolib.

> I have asked for some help before on this topic but seems there is no
> such library in python.
>
> Pritty strange that python can't do this much.


"Python" can do it. (Maybe nobody using & programming the libraries that
you tried ever needed it, so they didn't implement it, but that's something
different.)

> So please tell me if any one knows of a good solution for my problem
> else I am forced to give up python for my task.


You could use python-uno (it's included with OOo by default, and should be
able to do everything OOo can do.)


--
JanC
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Golden
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
Martin v. L÷wis wrote:
>> merge.py attempts to import config.py but I can't find it...

>
> Just create an empty one.


Won't quite work: merge tries to find full_current_version
which is determined (if None) in msi.py from the rather
involved current version stuff.

I'm going to give up on this for tonight, but one possibility
is to turn msi.py into an importable module and for msilib
to import it and pull the config values from there.

TJG
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin v. L÷wis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-08-2009
>> Just create an empty one.
>
> Won't quite work: merge tries to find full_current_version
> which is determined (if None) in msi.py from the rather
> involved current version stuff.


Only if you don't pass an msi file on the command line. So
I recommend that you do that.

> I'm going to give up on this for tonight, but one possibility
> is to turn msi.py into an importable module and for msilib
> to import it and pull the config values from there.


Please, no. The only way I could accept that if merge.py would
be run at the end of msi.py (i.e. merge.py disappears).

Regards,
Martin
 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Reedy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-09-2009
JanC wrote:
> Krishnakant wrote:
>
>> This is my last attempt to search for a nice python library for creating
>> open document spreadsheet.
>>
>> I tryed python-ooolib but did not find a few features like merging cells
>> (may be I am missing out some thing stupid ).

>
> You could add that feature to python-ooolib.
>
>> I have asked for some help before on this topic but seems there is no
>> such library in python.


I have answered once or twice but got no reply from you.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: source install of python2.7 and rpm install of cx_Oracle collision Nils Ruettershoff Python 0 07-22-2010 04:39 PM
OS X/Snow Leo - Specify custom executable location for build/install for 1.9 Joe Wangkauf Ruby 3 02-06-2010 03:40 PM
Python 2.6 Install on OSX Server 10.5: lWhich flag to use in"configure" to Change the Install location? Omita Python 2 04-30-2009 03:07 PM
Location, location, location =?Utf-8?B?VHJhY2V5?= Wireless Networking 2 02-17-2007 08:37 PM
after an image is moved to a new location, how to delete the image at the old location? zxo102 Python 0 08-01-2006 04:58 PM



Advertisments