Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No wireless network connection icon

No wireless network connection icon

fermata

Hi there. I have just reinstalled XP professional on my laptop from scratch.
The laptop has wireless built in and prior to the reinstall worked perfectly.
However, now I can't connect to my wireless network. When I fire up the
network connections window, there is no wireless networks icon, so I can't
get any further. Anyone know what I need to do?

John

"fermata" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there. I have just reinstalled XP professional on my laptop from
> scratch.
> The laptop has wireless built in and prior to the reinstall worked
> perfectly.
> However, now I can't connect to my wireless network. When I fire up the
> network connections window, there is no wireless networks icon, so I can't
> get any further. Anyone know what I need to do?

Install driver for your wireless network adapter. Since you don't tell us
your WiFi adapter name and model, no one can tell you where to download the
driver from.

From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.

Hi
Maybe this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"fermata" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there. I have just reinstalled XP professional on my laptop from
> scratch.
> The laptop has wireless built in and prior to the reinstall worked
> perfectly.
> However, now I can't connect to my wireless network. When I fire up the
> network connections window, there is no wireless networks icon, so I can't
> get any further. Anyone know what I need to do?

fermata

thanks - it's a Dell latitude D420. Been to the dell website, downloaded and
installed the driver for the wireless (except US, Japan) WLAN card for this
machine. No joy. Is that not the driver I'm after - any clues?

"John" wrote:

> "fermata" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi there. I have just reinstalled XP professional on my laptop from
> > scratch.
> > The laptop has wireless built in and prior to the reinstall worked
> > perfectly.
> > However, now I can't connect to my wireless network. When I fire up the
> > network connections window, there is no wireless networks icon, so I can't
> > get any further. Anyone know what I need to do?

> Install driver for your wireless network adapter. Since you don't tell us
> your WiFi adapter name and model, no one can tell you where to download the
> driver from.

fermata

Problem solved - the nice chap at Dell pointed me at the correct driver and
all is now fine. Thanks all.