Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > GPS capable cellphones

GPS capable cellphones

fred

Hi all

I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.

Thanks in advance

Alan

"fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gonsk6$ah5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
> cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very
> informal survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you,
> or a close relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has
> such a device.
>
> Thanks in advance

Yep.

My unmunged email is: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

EMB

fred wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
> cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
> survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
> relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.

yes - me
yes - step-son-in-law
yes - 5 at work

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Mar 5, 7:49*pm, fred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
> cellphones in New Zealand. *As such I am conducting this very informal
> survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
> relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
>
> Thanks in advance

Is there a cell phone with a decent/proper gps?

A family member has an iphone 3g but it isnt a patch on my Garmin76

regards

Thing

oneofus

fred wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
> cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
> survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
> relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
>
> Thanks in advance

yes N95

JohnO

fred wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
> cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
> survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
> relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
>
> Thanks in advance

Yep.

Becoming quite common now. Blackberries nowdays seem to have 'em as
standard.

JohnO

On Mar 5, 9:14*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mar 5, 7:49*pm, fred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi all

> > I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
> > cellphones in New Zealand. *As such I am conducting this very informal
> > survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
> > relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.

> > Thanks in advance

> Is there a cell phone with a decent/proper gps?
>
> A family member has an iphone 3g but it isnt a patch on my Garmin76
>
> regards
>
> Thing

The blackberry gps does work, but is less accurate than a garmin eTrex
and takes longer to acquire a lock.

PeeCee

"fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gonsk6$ah5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
> cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
> survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
> relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
>
> Thanks in advance

No for me and the Mrs.

P.

Sam

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is there a cell phone with a decent/proper gps?
>
> A family member has an iphone 3g but it isnt a patch on my Garmin76

I'm running Garmin Mobile with the open source NZ maps on my Nokia N82

Keith

In article <gonsk6$ah5$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi all
>
> I am interested in finding out market penetration of GPS capable
> cellphones in New Zealand. As such I am conducting this very informal
> survey to ask the posters of nz.general and nz.comp if you, or a close
> relative, or friend, or co-worker (please indicate) has such a device.
>
> Thanks in advance

If the phone is sold into the USA it almost certainly has GPS. Whether
the user can use it is another matter.

After 911 the FCC made rules that eventually all cell phone should be
locatable by the emergency services. Most manufacturers are chosing GPS.