Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > DIV wrapping problem

DIV wrapping problem

asdf

"Matt White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Mar 4, 7:01 pm, "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:9MFrl.25270$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Matt White wrote:
> >> I have a container DIV (div1) that contains 2 DIVs (div2 and div3).
> >> div1 is the width of the screen and div2 is a fixed width. How do I
> >> get div3 to dynamically expand to fill the space to the right of div2?
> >> Right now I can only seem to get div3 to float up against div2, but I
> >> don't know how to make it as wide as the remaining space next to div2.
> >> I want the result I've so artistically illustrated in diagram 1 but I
> >> can only seem to get diagram 2.

> >> _______________________ screen width
> >> ______________________

> >> _____________

> >> The simple code I'm using is at:http://pastie.org/407824. Any help
> >> would be appreciated! Thanks!

> > Post a URL to the page, not a picture of the code.

> > Don't float div3. Give it a left margin of 150px;

> Matt,
>
> Try this... it ain't perfect, it ain't purdy, it's kinda minimalist, but
> it
> should give you a good starting point.
>
> Pay particular attention to the 'width' of the left column, and the
> 'margin-left' of the right column.
>
> Copy the following into a new html doc and start playing! Hope it helps.
>
> [start markup]

> <head>
> <title>DIV Test</title>
> <!--
> .leftcolumn {
> float: left;
> width: 12em;}
>
> .rightcolumn {
> margin-left: 12em;}
>
> -->
> </head>
> column contents left column contents left column contents left column
> contents</div>
> column contents right column contents right column contents right column
> contents right column contents right column contents right column contents
> right column contents right column contents right column contents right
> column contents right column contents right column contents</div>
>
> [end markup]

>Brilliant. Works beautifully! Thanks!

You are more than welcome, my friend!

dorayme

In article
<49b0809f$0$4191$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[huge unnecessary quote with added complete version of King James
version of Bible]

> You are more than welcome, my friend!

dorayme

asdf

"Jim Moe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On 03/05/09 07:52 pm, dorayme wrote:
>>
>> [huge unnecessary quote with added complete version of King James
>> version of Bible]
>>
>>> You are more than welcome, my friend!

>> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
>>

> Pot. Kettle. Black.
>
> --
> jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
> (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Haha... you got in first

dorayme

In article
<49b0bc4c$0$4207$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jim Moe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > On 03/05/09 07:52 pm, dorayme wrote:
> >>
> >> [huge unnecessary quote with added complete version of King James
> >> version of Bible]

> >> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
> >>

> > Pot. Kettle. Black.
> >
> > --
> > jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
> > (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

> Haha... you got in first

Hey asdf, if I have made a mistake in this, I appoint you Chief Pointer,
and will pay a small bonus for each example so I can improve in this
regard. When you point out an example, point it without bothering to
quote the whole thing. Quoting is an art and not a science and we all
make a few mistakes. Sometimes we too much, sometimes we too little. But
there is a difference between this and not even bothering to try or
being totally oblivious of JK's excellent insistence on such things for
the good order and management of Usenet.

O no! You two guys are not meaning to express exasperation with...
with.... with... me on the crime of *babbling*, the other JK regular
point of admonishment?

That's not fair for either of two reasons:

(1) My alleged babbling is a healthy loquacity.

(2) It is a different crime to "clueless full-quoting" and so the
pot/kettle remark is off the mark.

<g>

----------------
asdf, please remove quoting sigs.

--
dorayme

asdf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article
> <49b0bc4c$0$4207$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Jim Moe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>> > Pot. Kettle. Black.
>> >
>> > --
>> > jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
>> > (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

>> Haha... you got in first

> Hey asdf, if I have made a mistake in this, I appoint you Chief Pointer,
> and will pay a small bonus for each example so I can improve in this
> regard. When you point out an example, point it without bothering to
> quote the whole thing. Quoting is an art and not a science and we all
> make a few mistakes. Sometimes we too much, sometimes we too little. But
> there is a difference between this and not even bothering to try or
> being totally oblivious of JK's excellent insistence on such things for
> the good order and management of Usenet.
>
> O no! You two guys are not meaning to express exasperation with...
> with.... with... me on the crime of *babbling*, the other JK regular
> point of admonishment?
>
> That's not fair for either of two reasons:
>
> (1) My alleged babbling is a healthy loquacity.
>
> (2) It is a different crime to "clueless full-quoting" and so the
> pot/kettle remark is off the mark.
>
> <g>
>
> ----------------
> asdf, please remove quoting sigs.
>
> --
> dorayme

Yawn.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jim Moe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I rest my case.

Pity it is not clear what your case is or rather what it *was* when you
responded with the 'pot kettle' remark (which I was not offended by,
just curious as to quite what my crime was, a quoting crime or a
babbling crime. These are quite distinct criminal offences Jim and when
I am stopped for arrest - as I am regularly - I am mildly curious of the
actual charge.

> I have no opinion about loquacious rambling.

Your expression suggest you do. I understand. I have a lot of evidence
that I am not usually any sensible person's cup of tea.

> I have come to ignore posters who cause me to scroll through all that
> *UNNECESSARY* quoted text (see above) to get to a (usually succinct) response.

Now I am even more confused. You pot-kettled me. Now you seem to be
saying something about poor asdf (I say "poor" because he is very very
tired, he was yawning in his last reply to me. <g>)

--
dorayme