Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Digi PortServer II 16 Password recovery?

Digi PortServer II 16 Password recovery?

sp3gcf sp3gcf is offline
Junior Member

Hi, Does anyone have an idea how to remove the admin (root user) password on this device? I did followed the User Manual instructions and it says to push both left and right arrows on the front panel, then turn off the whole thing and power it back, wait untill "CL" or "ER" shows on the front panel display and then release both buttons. I'm good to this point, not sure what else have to be performed, nor how to log into it using a console cable(cisco RJ45 to DB9) attached to the port1.
Digi's manual says that default user and password is root/dbps, but i haven't tried them because I wasn't even able to get to the console login screen.

Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
-Tom

CISCO- CISCO- is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3gcf
Hi, Does anyone have an idea how to remove the admin (root user) password on this device? I did followed the User Manual instructions and it says to push both left and right arrows on the front panel, then turn off the whole thing and power it back, wait untill "CL" or "ER" shows on the front panel display and then release both buttons. I'm good to this point, not sure what else have to be performed, nor how to log into it using a console cable(cisco RJ45 to DB9) attached to the port1.
Digi's manual says that default user and password is root/dbps, but i haven't tried them because I wasn't even able to get to the console login screen.

Does anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
-Tom
I know this is an old post, but I encountered the same problem. All I did was reset it to factory defaults , but I'm not sure if it got it cleared since I left the unit alone, is too much for my brain, I'm thinking about puting it on e-bay, since I have no real use for it.

sp3gcf sp3gcf is offline
Junior Member

I was able to reset the password on Digi Portserver.
Everything is in the manual. I just had to repeat the same step few times and it finally let me in with default user/pass. Maybe i was doing something wrong at first, not sure.
I think i still have the manual copy laying somewhere around, PM me if you need one.

btw. I got mine on ebay too.. for really cheap.
Hope this helps.
-Tom

Last edited by sp3gcf; 03-10-2010 at 06:38 PM..