Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ViewNX - Adnormal Terminations?

ViewNX - Adnormal Terminations?

William Jones

I need help.

My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates without
reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.

I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton AV
2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.

This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.

ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
like this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Nospam

In message <%4Arl.53069$(E-Mail Removed)>, William Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I need help.
>

>My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates without
>reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.
>

>I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton AV
>2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
>

>This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
>reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
>

>ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
>like this.
>

>Does anyone have any ideas?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Bill

I have the same problem.

According to Nikon it is my machine, faulty memory or a dodgy software
installation.

However it is the ONLY program that does this all other programs work
without problem.

They advised me to upgrade my .Net to the latest version (3.0)

but that didn't fix it.

So its a nice program that is a pin to use!

pity

--
Nospam

William Jones

Nikon's full of **** on this one. I have 30 years of experience in IT, and
there's NOTHING wrong with my machine, my memory, my O/S, or my installs.

Like you, ViewNX is the ONLY app that terminates like this without notice.

Attention Nikon: Canon just LOVES this kind of incompetence by you. Wake up!

Sigh....

"Nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <%4Arl.53069$(E-Mail Removed)>, William Jones
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>I need help.
>>
>>My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates
>>without
>>reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.
>>
>>I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton
>>AV
>>2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
>>
>>This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
>>reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
>>
>>ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
>>like this.
>>
>>Does anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Bill
>>

> I have the same problem.
>
> According to Nikon it is my machine, faulty memory or a dodgy software
> installation.
>
> However it is the ONLY program that does this all other programs work
> without problem.
>
> They advised me to upgrade my .Net to the latest version (3.0) but that
> didn't fix it.
>
> So its a nice program that is a pin to use!
>
> pity
> --
> Nospam

me@mine.net

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:51:35 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need help.
>

>My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates without
>reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.
>

>I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton AV
>2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
>

>This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
>reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
>

>ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
>like this.
>

>Does anyone have any ideas?

Yes, ever think of using google?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...es&btnG=Search

First entry is:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26412296
Which would seem to point to a registry issue. and possible solutions on
the us nikon tech support site.

William Jones

Couldn't you have just posted a reply without the smartass "ever think of
using Google"? Why do people like you always have to add some insult, some
condescension, some jab?

I had ALREADY seen that link (yes, I found it using Google). And the reason
I posted my question was because I had never installed Nikon View. So this
particular DP Review page is irrelevant.

My Registry is spotless.

Now, once again do you have any (constructive this time...) ideas?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:51:35 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I need help.
>>

>>My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates
>>without
>>reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.
>>

>>I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton
>>AV
>>2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
>>

>>This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
>>reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
>>

>>ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
>>like this.
>>

>>Does anyone have any ideas?

> Yes, ever think of using google?
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...es&btnG=Search
>
> First entry is:
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26412296
> Which would seem to point to a registry issue. and possible solutions on
> the us nikon tech support site.

Ed Mullikin

I really like your reply to these "condescending" bungholes.

"William Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JGErl.26905$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Couldn't you have just posted a reply without the smartass "ever think of
> using Google"? Why do people like you always have to add some insult,
> some condescension, some jab?
>
> I had ALREADY seen that link (yes, I found it using Google). And the
> reason I posted my question was because I had never installed Nikon View.
> So this particular DP Review page is irrelevant.
>
> My Registry is spotless.
>
> Now, once again do you have any (constructive this time...) ideas?
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:51:35 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I need help.
>>>

>>>My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates
>>>without
>>>reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.
>>>

>>>I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton
>>>AV
>>>2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
>>>

>>>This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
>>>reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
>>>

>>>ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
>>>like this.
>>>

>>>Does anyone have any ideas?

>> Yes, ever think of using google?
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...es&btnG=Search
>>
>> First entry is:
>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26412296
>> Which would seem to point to a registry issue. and possible solutions on
>> the us nikon tech support site.

"William Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%4Arl.53069$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need help.
>

> My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates
> without reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard
> drives.
>

> I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton
> AV 2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
>

> This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
> reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
>

> ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
> like this.
>

> Does anyone have any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Does it write anything to the event log when it crashes?

Dave Cohen

William Jones wrote:
> Couldn't you have just posted a reply without the smartass "ever think of
> using Google"? Why do people like you always have to add some insult, some
> condescension, some jab?
>
> I had ALREADY seen that link (yes, I found it using Google). And the reason
> I posted my question was because I had never installed Nikon View. So this
> particular DP Review page is irrelevant.
>
> My Registry is spotless.
>
> Now, once again do you have any (constructive this time...) ideas?
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:51:35 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I need help.
>>>

>>> My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates
>>> without
>>> reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.
>>>

>>> I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton
>>> AV
>>> 2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
>>>

>>> This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
>>> reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
>>>

>>> ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
>>> like this.
>>>

>>> Does anyone have any ideas?

>> Yes, ever think of using google?
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...es&btnG=Search
>>
>> First entry is:
>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26412296
>> Which would seem to point to a registry issue. and possible solutions on
>> the us nikon tech support site.

Further more it's irrelevant since one isn't supposed to be an IT expert
in order to install a program under windows.
Dave Cohen

William Jones

Yes, it does, and I've forwarded that to Nikon. They've not answered...

"N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49af9442$0$4247$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "William Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%4Arl.53069$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I need help.
>>

>> My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates
>> without reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard
>> drives.
>>

>> I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton
>> AV 2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
>>

>> This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
>> reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
>>

>> ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
>> like this.
>>

>> Does anyone have any ideas?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Does it write anything to the event log when it crashes?

me@mine.net

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 16:04:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Couldn't you have just posted a reply without the smartass "ever think of
>using Google"? Why do people like you always have to add some insult, some
>condescension, some jab?

Because you came here and apparently couldn't be bothered to take the small
effort to post what build your OS is at or what rev your dotnet20/30/3.5 is
at., or what other Nikon SW you have installed, or what other steps you
have tried, Registry cleaning, checking file system integrity. Loading apps
in different order or swapping memory chips around to possibly diagnose an
HW problem.

>I had ALREADY seen that link (yes, I found it using Google). And the reason
>I posted my question was because I had never installed Nikon View. So this
>particular DP Review page is irrelevant.
>
>My Registry is spotless.
>
>Now, once again do you have any (constructive this time...) ideas?

So did you find the other DPR forum thread that talked about dotnet and
other runtime libs fixes/updates?