Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Pro problem

XP Pro problem

Seamus J. Wilson

This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I have
never used password access. I could not get by.
I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
problem. It worked.
Any ideas why the password request? Could this be a sign of imminent HD
failure?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

RickMerrill

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
> This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I have
> never used password access. I could not get by.
> I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
> problem. It worked.
> Any ideas why the password request? Could this be a sign of imminent HD
> failure?
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

Sounds like a Trojan virus. Scan; what's y our A-V?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

> This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I
> have never used password access. I could not get by.

You should use passwords. You should also not use an Administrator
account for normal activity. Without a password, any hacker on the
planet who finds your IP address "can be you." Set it back to use
password, and pick a strong one that nobody can guess.

> I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
> problem. It worked. Any ideas why the password request?

Did you do any Windows Updates yesterday? Recently? Microsloth does have
the habit of changing the way you work, without telling you.

> Could this be a sign of imminent HD failure?

It had nothing to do with your hard drive...

--
-bts

Bucky Breeder

"Seamus J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> promulgated this using
news:TQyrl.39249$(E-Mail Removed):

> This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I
> have never used password access. I could not get by.
> I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
> problem. It worked.
> Any ideas why the password request? Could this be a sign of imminent HD
> failure?
> Thank you,
> Seamus J. Wilson

Could be some program you installed or uninstalled or Windows Update...

I use the old TweakUI (v1.33)to avoid a password for my Admin user
accounts. Every now and then, especially if someone uses a password, then
Windows wants to do the password dance. I just go back to TweakUI and
reset the checkbox and reboot.

HDD failure? That's way out of the range of any reasonable considerations
if what you've said is all there is to it...

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and if you put all your gold in
an envelope and send it to me, I'll send you what it's worth.

Get yerself some wimmins in yer pickup
without any of that pesky incriminating Rohypnol :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCGcAQ9nLiI

Gordon

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
>
>> This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I
>> have never used password access. I could not get by.

> You should use passwords. You should also not use an Administrator
> account for normal activity. Without a password, any hacker on the
> planet who finds your IP address "can be you." Set it back to use
> password, and pick a strong one that nobody can guess.

The Default setting in XP is first User created is an Administrator and
no password.
Great isn't it?

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Seamus J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I have
>never used password access. I could not get by.
>I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
>problem. It worked.
>Any ideas why the password request? Could this be a sign of imminent HD
>failure?

Something (maybe a recent install) most likely changed a registry
entry.

Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
control userpasswords2
<enter>

Follow the instructions, and hopefully there is no password, if so one
you can remember.
--

http://www.coffeeandcigarettes.com/w...thefuture1.jpg

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Gordon wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
>>> ..have never used password access.

>> You should use passwords. You should also not use an Administrator
>> account for normal activity.

> The Default setting in XP is first User created is an Administrator
> and no password. Great isn't it?

Greatest thing since sliced bread. Without it, all those bot-net
managers would be looking elsewhere for work.

(oh, probably not... there are so many ways into Windows, it will never
end.)

--
-bts
-"Windows - Life Without Walls™"

Seamus J. Wilson

Thank you for all the helpful responses. Much appreciated.
Best,
Seamus J.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Seamus J. Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I have
>>never used password access. I could not get by.
>>I booted up in safe mode and did a restore a few days back to fix the
>>problem. It worked.
>>Any ideas why the password request? Could this be a sign of imminent HD
>>failure?

> Something (maybe a recent install) most likely changed a registry
> entry.
>
> Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
> control userpasswords2
> <enter>
>
> Follow the instructions, and hopefully there is no password, if so one
> you can remember.
> --
>
> http://www.coffeeandcigarettes.com/w...thefuture1.jpg

chuckcar

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> This morning I booted up the machine and it asked for a password. I
>>> have never used password access. I could not get by.

>> You should use passwords. You should also not use an Administrator
>> account for normal activity. Without a password, any hacker on the
>> planet who finds your IP address "can be you." Set it back to use
>> password, and pick a strong one that nobody can guess.
>>

> The Default setting in XP is first User created is an Administrator and
> no password.
> Great isn't it?

Same with *any* operating system. The first time you boot in linux to
install it, there's no password for root and you *never* have to add one.
It *recommends* it strongly, even warns of one that's too short, but you
*never* have to give root one.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Gordon

chuckcar wrote:

> Same with *any* operating system. The first time you boot in linux to
> install it, there's no password for root

Wrong and wrong and wrong. Ubuntu you HAVE to provide a password.
Mandriva you HAVE to provide a password. AFAIK in SUSE you HAVE to
provide a password.
Give us an example of a Distro where you don't.