Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > best practices

best practices

david

i am a little confused on the best pratices for the
implementation of a basic web page which needs to display
varing controls and data. What i am tring to do is create
a asp.net web form/s which will display a search bar and
the top and dynamically change the data in the panel
underneath. what i am unsure of is how i should do this.
should i use frames, panels, inheritance (which i cannot
get to work for a web form) or another method? so, i am
hoping that one of you can help me with this..

thanks

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

If the data is always in a spreadsheet format, you can set up the page with
the form (search box and button) and a DataGrid that gets bound with the
data. For display only, the column names and number of columns can even
change from query to query. Many times, this is too generic.

If the data display is rather dynamic, a panel makes a nice container to add
information into. You can bind controls and text (via a literal) to the
panel.

These two methods should fit 90%+ of the scenarios you can come up with, as
Data will either be in a spreadsheet, or placed into controls. The latter is
more common when dynamically building forms a user can fill in.

NOTE: For simple lists, use a DataList, for spreadsheet, use a DataGrid, and
for custom repetitive display, use a Repeater. For anything more dynamic
than that, you will have to add controls to a container object, like a Panel
control.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
news:4c1801c3b270$a4781400$(E-Mail Removed)...