Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Internet Connection Drops Repeatedly

Internet Connection Drops Repeatedly

~BD~

Martin wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
>
>> Good morning Tim!
>>
>> Thanks for your response. Funnily enough, when I reset my router
>> recently, the operative from AOL asked me to switch from Channel 11 to
>> Channel 1 - which I did - and then supplied *me* with a new username
>> and password which he said I should not change! I don't really like
>> that, but I've left it for now.
>>
>> I'd reset the router to factory condition and once I had done so just
>> could not get connected to the internet again without help from AOL.
>> This is an area where I must develop new skills but, once up and
>> running and there's no need to change things, one tends to forget
>> exactly what one did "last time"!

> In the nicest possible way can I suggest you stop faffing.

You may ....... and you did!

> Sort out one thing at time. If the connection isn't working then try a
> cable, if the internet connection is working don't phone AOL - their
> technical ability is probably lower than yours and you'll be changing
> too many things to isolate the real issue. So get yourself a long
> network cable (note: not telephone cable) and try a hard-wired
> connection between your router and PC. Make sure that connection is
> solid before trying anything else.
>
> Assuming the cabled connection is solid, and your internet connection is
> solid then we can start to tidy up the house again (I know you'll be
> getting flak from the misses for having a cable running round the
> house). So, once you know the router is working with cable and your ISP
> is working with the router we can start to look at the wireless side.

The Ethernet cable I have is only about one metre long. I've either used
a long telephone extension cable to bring the router close to my PC and
then connected the router to my PC with the Ethernet cable OR taken our
laptop to be close to the usual location of the router and connected the
laptop to the router with the Ethernet cable.

When done, today, the connection is "solid".

My new iMac has remained connected, wirelessly, all day with no dropping
of the wireless connection. Our laptop is also connected wirelessly
with no dropping off! ))

So, it may well be that the "problem" has been with my PC, which - for
the time being - has been withdrawn from service!

> Ignore the bit about running a software firewall with your router
> firewall, the two do totally different jobs and you need both. Just
> don't try to run more than one s/w firewall. However turn the s/w one
> off for testing if you wish.

Noted - thank you.

> > If you're in a stone built cottage with thick walls you might be in

> trouble if you're two rooms away. One of my clients was in an old
> building like that and we couldn't go drilling holes through walls to
> feed conduits so went with wireless, it was a nightmare getting it to
> work - and we did have to run one cable around the building.

I'm just a user - trying to learn as much as I can - so as to avoid
having to employ a professional like you!

> What's your signal strength and bit-rates on your wireless card in the
> PC? How many bars on the signal strength meter - might be in the tray
> next to the little clock on the bottom-right-hand of the screen.

I can only refer to the laptop at the moment where the signal strength
is 61% (4 bars) at 54 Mbps

HTH

I think it probably best to see how things pan out using the Mac before
considering making some provision for hard wiring at considerable expense!

Thanks for your helpful comments though, Martin. Much appreciated.
--
Dave

~BD~

Tim Jackson wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
>> "Tim Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Have you tried changing channels?
>>>
>>> Sounds like you've got another user on the same channel at a marginal
>>> distance interfering with your signal.
>>>
>>> Turning off your router and scanning for signals with your PC might
>>> show up what other signals are in the area, (or it might not - trial
>>> and error is the only real test.).
>>>
>>> When one of the major companies installed it's wireless service in my
>>> area, my long-established home wireless network was brought down
>>> because their access point had taken the channel I was using.
>>>
>>> I would point out that wireless networks should never be seen as
>>> *reliable*. However secure they are made against unauthorised
>>> access, it is trivially easy to jam them. Any mission-critical
>>> communications should be wired, or at least have a wired back-up.
>>>
>>> Computer security isn't just about keeping your secrets secret, it's
>>> also about keeping your data infrastructure functional.
>>>

>>> Tim Jackson

>> Good morning Tim!
>>
>> Thanks for your response. Funnily enough, when I reset my router
>> recently, the operative from AOL asked me to switch from Channel 11 to
>> Channel 1 - which I did - and then supplied *me* with a new username
>> and password which he said I should not change! I don't really like
>> that, but I've left it for now.
>>
>> I'd reset the router to factory condition and once I had done so just
>> could not get connected to the internet again without help from AOL.
>> This is an area where I must develop new skills but, once up and
>> running and there's no need to change things, one tends to forget
>> exactly what one did "last time"!
>>
>> I do understand your comments regarding security with wireless
>> connections. My son has confirmed that in the RAF, and when working
>> with the USAF, *no* wireless connections were permitted to military
>> equipment.
>>
>> Btw - I took the plunge yesterday and bought an iMac (whilst my wife
>> was in the hairdressers!). It connected up like a dream and I was
>> on-line within minutes of plugging it in! All I've got to do now is
>> learn how to use it! Any help welcomed!
>>
>> Have a good day!
>> --
>> Dave
>>

> AOL are specifying the channel and configuration you have to use for
> your *local* wireless network that connects your computers to your
> router? That sounds like unnecessary micro-management to me.

I agree - but I suppose they have lots of experience with
less-than-sophisticated customers who don't take much interest in the
technicalities.

> But then nothing AOL did would really surprise me.

The UK company is now owned by Carphone Warehouse - maybe they will
maintain profitability by the charges for the cost of calls to their
'help' line!

> Is your router using a wireless connection from the router to the
> network too, or are we talking wired connection like ADSL or cable (or a
> different band, like GSM)? In the former case one obviously has to
> avoid conflict with the public access point.

My computers connect wirelessly to the router. The router has a cable
connection to my BT telephone socket. Nothing else is available down
here in this part of Devon!

HTH
--
Dave

~BD~

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
>
>> Hello bts - In line replies

> Thanks, but you don't need to mention that.

>>> Does your connection drop if you use a cable between this desktop PC
>>> and the router?

>> I don't think so, but it has been a long time since I tried (using a
>> very long telephone extention cable)

> Telephone extension cable? I would think you would be using a CAT 5 or 6
> Ethernet network cable, right? This is DSL ... and in my experience
> would use CAT5/6 between computer and modem the same as my RoadRunner
> cable modem.
>
>>> Aside: what is the reason for using your desktop PC as wireless? Are
>>> your Netgear router and the PC not close by? IME, one does not
>>> normally carry a desktop PC around the house.

>> Not really difficult! I live in an old, brick-built, cottage - circa
>> 1850.

> I have experience with that, having lived many years in an 1823
> cobblestone farmhouse until last year.
>
>> My router is located close to the telephone point, two rooms
>> distant from my study where I spend my time on my computer. Because
>> it was not easy to run an extention telephone cable between the
>> telephone point and my study (so that I could effect an ethernet
>> cable connection between my PC and the router) I decided to adopt
>> connection wirelessly.

> Ah. Here you say Ethernet cable. Using the term 'telephone extension'
> above was misleading. Anyway, I ran my Ethernet cable from my office
> down into the crawlspace, to outside, to tucked in under the bottom row
> of cobbles, back into the crawlspace at the other end of the house and
> up through the floor where the cable modem was located. It was about 150
> feet long.
>
>> My wife also connects with her laptop, also wirelessly, often (but
>> not always) from an upstairs bedroom so it is very convenient not to
>> have cables running around the property!

> That part is understood.
>
>>> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

>> What do *you* drive bts?

> Ubuntu Linux, version 8.04.
>
>> If an Apple Mac - what programme do you use for newsgroups?

> Nope, never owned either an Apple or a Mac. I use (my only Windows
> program) 40tude Dialog running in Wine. I also have set up Pan, XPN,
> Thunderbird, and Opera for news.

Thanks for you comments, Bts

I've had a dabble with Ubuntu but felt it was going to be a steep
learning curve. I have the set-up CD - maybe I'll try again after I've
got to grips with this iMac! (so far, it's magical!)
--

Tim Jackson wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
>> "Tim Jackson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Have you tried changing channels?
>>>
>>> Sounds like you've got another user on the same channel at a marginal
>>> distance interfering with your signal.
>>>
>>> Turning off your router and scanning for signals with your PC might
>>> show up what other signals are in the area, (or it might not - trial
>>> and error is the only real test.).
>>>
>>> When one of the major companies installed it's wireless service in my
>>> area, my long-established home wireless network was brought down
>>> because their access point had taken the channel I was using.
>>>
>>> I would point out that wireless networks should never be seen as
>>> *reliable*. However secure they are made against unauthorised
>>> access, it is trivially easy to jam them. Any mission-critical
>>> communications should be wired, or at least have a wired back-up.
>>>
>>> Computer security isn't just about keeping your secrets secret, it's
>>> also about keeping your data infrastructure functional.
>>>

>>> Tim Jackson

>> Good morning Tim!
>>
>> Thanks for your response. Funnily enough, when I reset my router
>> recently, the operative from AOL asked me to switch from Channel 11 to
>> Channel 1 - which I did - and then supplied *me* with a new username
>> and password which he said I should not change! I don't really like
>> that, but I've left it for now.
>>
>> I'd reset the router to factory condition and once I had done so just
>> could not get connected to the internet again without help from AOL.
>> This is an area where I must develop new skills but, once up and
>> running and there's no need to change things, one tends to forget
>> exactly what one did "last time"!
>>
>> I do understand your comments regarding security with wireless
>> connections. My son has confirmed that in the RAF, and when working
>> with the USAF, *no* wireless connections were permitted to military
>> equipment.
>>
>> Btw - I took the plunge yesterday and bought an iMac (whilst my wife
>> was in the hairdressers!). It connected up like a dream and I was
>> on-line within minutes of plugging it in! All I've got to do now is
>> learn how to use it! Any help welcomed!
>>
>> Have a good day!
>> --
>> Dave
>>

> AOL are specifying the channel and configuration you have to use for
> your *local* wireless network that connects your computers to your
> router? That sounds like unnecessary micro-management to me.

I agree - but I suppose they have lots of experience with
less-than-sophisticated customers who don't take much interest in the
technicalities.

> But then nothing AOL did would really surprise me.

The UK company is now owned by Carphone Warehouse - maybe they will
maintain profitability by virtue of the charges for the cost of calls to

Tim Jackson wrote:
> [...]

> router? That sounds like unnecessary micro-management to me.

I agree - but I suppose they have lots of experience with
less-than-sophisticated customers who don't take much interest in the
technicalities.

> But then nothing AOL did would really surprise me.

The UK company is now owned by Carphone Warehouse - maybe they will
maintain profitability by the charges for the cost of calls to their
'help' line!

> Is your router using a wireless connection from the router to the
> network too, or are we talking wired connection like ADSL or cable (or a
> different band, like GSM)? In the former case one obviously has to
> avoid conflict with the public access point.

My computers connect wirelessly to the router. The router has a cable
connection to my BT telephone socket. Nothing else is available down

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

~BD~ wrote:

> Thanks for you comments, Bts

You're welcome, but *please* remove these stuck messages from your Out-
or Send box! You've now sent four copies of this one, in a 27-hour
period.

--
-bts

~BD~

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> ~BD~ wrote:
>
>> Thanks for you comments, Bts

> You're welcome, but *please* remove these stuck messages from your Out-
> or Send box! You've now sent four copies of this one, in a 27-hour
> period.

I sincerely apologise (to all!)

Whilst I recognised that Ubuntu was going to be a steep learning curve,
I've ended up using Thunderbird on my new iMac for posting to this
newsgroup. It *is* somewhat different to using Outlook Express - the
programme I've been used to!

I hope that I've succeeded in removing the excess messages.

Enjoy your day!
--

Dave