Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Alarm clock

Alarm clock

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

John Smith wrote:

> OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an
> alarm clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

No self-respecting email client would *execute* such a program, without
definite action by the recipient. Mine certainly won't.

All your scheme would do would be to waste my bandwidth and annoy me
quite a lot. Forget it as you would soon be blackholed.

--
-bts

G. Morgan

John Smith wrote:

>Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
>by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?
>Thanks. J

Will this work?
http://sleep.fm/

VanguardLH

alan wrote:

> Why not just make a short video of an alarm clock with an audio track? It
> wouldn't be a "program", but when you opened it, you'd see an alarm clock
> and you'd hear it . . .
> BTW, why do you want such a thing? What's your purpose?

He's sending it to residents at the old folks home with a short, sharp,
and super-loud volume to cause heart arrests in trying to clear out some
space for his own parents. Searching the obituaries hasn't been
fruitful.

Odd he didn't pickup the part of my post where I said he could add a
background sound for an alarm. He could then just paste the image of an
alarm clock in his HTML-formatted e-mail. The recipient opens his
e-mail, sees the alarm clock image (if they view HTML-formatted e-mail
as such), and hears the alarm clock sound (if their speakers aren't
muted).

Add a background sound. Add an image. Done. There are LOTS of alarm
clock images at Google:

http://images.google.com/images?q=%2...arm%20clock%22

Google can find lots of alarm clock sound files, too:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2b%2...0%2bwav%20file

John Smith

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:00:36 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
>>clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

> Ok, so again, you're talking about a PROGRAM that would be e-mailed to
> the person. The person would need to OPEN the program?
>
> What are you trying to do, simply annoy someone with a sound when they
> open an e-mail?

===========
Don't worry about the why.
The person who would receive it is a friend who has asked for this.
No problem if no-one knows how to.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:51:16 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Don't worry about the why.
>The person who would receive it is a friend who has asked for this.
>No problem if no-one knows how to.

I think plenty of people have explained that it will take interaction
from the person receiving it for this to work.

Having said that, find a suitable sound file online. E-mail person a
link, person clicks on link hears sound.

Another option is depending on the e-mail client the person uses,
create a filter for when a message is received to play a sound file -
obviously have some criteria, ie "Subject = ABCDEFG"...

John Smith

"alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mxfrl.14836$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]
>>> convince the recipient to disable their e-mail security by configuring
>>> their e-mail client to run scripts in HTML-formatted e-mails. Most
>>> e-mail clients default to NOT running scripts in HTML-formatted e-mails,
>>> so your scheme won't work.
>>>
>>> What would be the point of an alarm clock "going off" when the recipient
>>> opens your e-mail? They JUST opened it and that's when they'll get
>>> "alarmed". Or are you asking to somehow install software on their host
>>> that will run a background scheduler process to run your arbitrary
>>> events? Yeah, like that's likely ... NOT!
>>>
>>> Or is it that you just want an alarm SOUND to be heard by the recipient
>>> when they open your e-mail to them? Different e-mail clients have
>>> different methods/menus/instructions on how to add background sounds but
>>> that also means you must compose an HTML-formatted e-mail. See:
>>>
>>> http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/soun...amsupp_18.html
>>>
>>> on the HTML tag that is inserted in your HTML-formatted e-mail to play
>>> background sounds. Don't expect recipients to hear your sound, however.
>>> How are you going to guarantee that their e-mail client will play
>>> background sounds? How are you going to guarantee they don't have their
>>> speakers muted at the time they open your e-mail? How are you going to
>>> guarantee they even have audio devices (speakers or headphones) to hear
>>> your background "alarm" sound attached to your e-mail?
>>>
>>> How is an alarm background sound attached to an e-mail any more
>>> effective than putting "ALARM - ALARM - ALARM" in the first line of the
>>> body of your message? After all, you want them alarmed as soon as they
>>> open your e-mail. I bet they'll get real alarmed if your e-mail starts
>>> out with:
>>>
>>> YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN FROZEN by court order due to criminal
>>> investigation by FBI and your State Attorneys Office. DO NOT RESPOND TO
>>> THIS E-MAIL. CALL YOUR STATE ATTORNEYS OFFICE REGARDING YOUR CASE.
>>> Postal notification has been sent to you via certified carrier and will
>>> be delivered within 2 business days to your currently registered
>>> residential address. Not responding to the documents sent via certified
>>> carrier within a period of 10 business days will be cause for levying
>>> FEDERAL PENALTIES OF NOT LESS THAN $25,000 AND ISSUANCE OF WARRANTS FOR
>>> YOUR ARREST.
>>>
>>> Bet that'll raise their eyebrows. Of course, be prepared for
>>> recipients that sue for 3rd degree assault due to mental trauma.

>> ==============
>> Love it
>>
>> OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an
>> alarm
>> clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

> Why not just make a short video of an alarm clock with an audio track? It
> wouldn't be a "program", but when you opened it, you'd see an alarm clock
> and you'd hear it . . .
> BTW, why do you want such a thing? What's your purpose?

============
Wish for the recipient to open a program that shows a clock at the correct
time...and the alarm go off at that time.

John Smith

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) alid...
> John Smith wrote:
>
>>Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
>>by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?
>>Thanks. J
>>

> Will this work?
> http://sleep.fm/

============
Thanks for that..shows correct time etc but has to be programmed for the
time the alarm goes off - I was after something that would show the correct
time AND the alarm be triggered at the time of opening..or shortly after.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:20:42 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Wish for the recipient to open a program that shows a clock at the correct
>time...and the alarm go off at that time.

Ok, so now you're looking for a program that can be e-mailed, will run
automatically by having the recipient simply open the e-mail, and then
wait until a certain time, and then act as an alarm clock?

No such beast. Any reasonable combination of:
Decent firewall
Decent e-mail client
Decent Operating system

will prevent that.

Whiskers

On 2009-03-03, John Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gojul0$bhj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John Smith wrote:

[...]

> OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
> clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

Most modern computers have a 'clock' that shows current local time on the
screen. There are many 'calendar' and 'diary' and 'reminder' programs
that can be set by the user to make a sound at a given time in the future.
For example, "Orage" (which is an optional extra for the XFce4 GUI for
Unix/Linux systems). I wouldn't be at all surprised if Microsoft have
managed to include such a thing in their systems too - isn't there a
clickable 'time' display on the screen by default?

But I can't see the point of sounding an alarm when the user opens a
program whose function is to sound an alarm when the user opens it ...

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

alan

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gok3ev$lkk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mxfrl.14836$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gojuvi$g2h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:gojul0$bhj$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> ==============
>>> Love it
>>>
>>> OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an
>>> alarm
>>> clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

>> Why not just make a short video of an alarm clock with an audio track?
>> It wouldn't be a "program", but when you opened it, you'd see an alarm
>> clock and you'd hear it . . .
>> BTW, why do you want such a thing? What's your purpose?

> Wish for the recipient to open a program that shows a clock at the correct
> time...and the alarm go off at that time.

Thanks for being so forthcoming about WHY you want such a thing . . . your
replies to another poster of "Don't worry about the why" and "a friend has
asked for this" are arrogantly dismissive. If you'd deigned to explain the
purpose, you might well have received a workable solution. Since you don't
want folks to worry about the "why", I wouldn't expect many helpful