Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Alarm clock

Alarm clock

John Smith

Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?
Thanks. J

Evan Platt

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:21:04 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
>by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?

Uhhh... What?

I don't get it.. You send me an 'alarm clock' via e-mail. When I open
it, an alarm clock goes off on YOUR end?

walter

Evan Platt wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:21:04 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and
>> opened by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he
>> opens it?

> Uhhh... What?
>
> I don't get it.. You send me an 'alarm clock' via e-mail. When I open
> it, an alarm clock goes off on YOUR end?

Or maybe the OP has a contact who frequently sleep-reads email and wants to
make sure they're awake when they reply?

John Smith

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:21:04 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
>>by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?

> Uhhh... What?
>
> I don't get it.. You send me an 'alarm clock' via e-mail. When I open
> it, an alarm clock goes off on YOUR end?

============
No, at your end.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:47:08 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>No, at your end.

Ok.. So you want to send me an e-mail and when I receive it an alarm
clock goes off on MY end?

Well.. That would rely on quite a few factors. The easiest way I can
think of is to send a HTML riddled garbage mail with a sound file as
an attachment, and the proper HTML code to automatically play that
sound file. This then relies on a person having such an insecurely
configured e-mail client that it automatically executes the HTML code
necessary to automatically play the 'alarm clock' sound.

Of course, if this person has such a badly configured mail client,
they likely have a virus, Trojan, or God knows what. If they don't yet
have a virus or Trojan, they will VERY soon.

VanguardLH

John Smith wrote:

> Anyone know of an on line alarm clock which when sent by e-mail and opened
> by recipient the alarm clock would go off at whatever time he opens it?
> Thanks. J

If you were both using a shared Exchange mail server then you could send
them an Appointment.

Otherwise, forget it. You don't get to run scripts at the recipient's
end. You don't get to control their property. You would need to
convince the recipient to disable their e-mail security by configuring
their e-mail client to run scripts in HTML-formatted e-mails. Most
e-mail clients default to NOT running scripts in HTML-formatted e-mails,
so your scheme won't work.

What would be the point of an alarm clock "going off" when the recipient
opens your e-mail? They JUST opened it and that's when they'll get
"alarmed". Or are you asking to somehow install software on their host
that will run a background scheduler process to run your arbitrary
events? Yeah, like that's likely ... NOT!

Or is it that you just want an alarm SOUND to be heard by the recipient
when they open your e-mail to them? Different e-mail clients have
different methods/menus/instructions on how to add background sounds but
that also means you must compose an HTML-formatted e-mail. See:

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/soun...amsupp_18.html

on the HTML tag that is inserted in your HTML-formatted e-mail to play
background sounds. Don't expect recipients to hear your sound, however.
How are you going to guarantee that their e-mail client will play
background sounds? How are you going to guarantee they don't have their
speakers muted at the time they open your e-mail? How are you going to
guarantee they even have audio devices (speakers or headphones) to hear
your background "alarm" sound attached to your e-mail?

How is an alarm background sound attached to an e-mail any more
effective than putting "ALARM - ALARM - ALARM" in the first line of the
body of your message? After all, you want them alarmed as soon as they
open your e-mail. I bet they'll get real alarmed if your e-mail starts
out with:

YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN FROZEN by court order due to criminal
investigation by FBI and your State Attorneys Office. DO NOT RESPOND TO
THIS E-MAIL. CALL YOUR STATE ATTORNEYS OFFICE REGARDING YOUR CASE.
Postal notification has been sent to you via certified carrier and will
be delivered within 2 business days to your currently registered
residential address. Not responding to the documents sent via certified
carrier within a period of 10 business days will be cause for levying
FEDERAL PENALTIES OF NOT LESS THAN $25,000 AND ISSUANCE OF WARRANTS FOR
YOUR ARREST.

Bet that'll raise their eyebrows. Of course, be prepared for
recipients that sue for 3rd degree assault due to mental trauma.

John Smith

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 17:47:08 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>No, at your end.

> Ok.. So you want to send me an e-mail and when I receive it an alarm
> clock goes off on MY end?

You have the idea.

> Well.. That would rely on quite a few factors. The easiest way I can
> think of is to send a HTML riddled garbage mail with a sound file as
> an attachment, and the proper HTML code to automatically play that
> sound file. This then relies on a person having such an insecurely
> configured e-mail client that it automatically executes the HTML code
> necessary to automatically play the 'alarm clock' sound.
>
> Of course, if this person has such a badly configured mail client,
> they likely have a virus, Trojan, or God knows what. If they don't yet
> have a virus or Trojan, they will VERY soon.

==============
OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

John Smith

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gojul0$bhj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> open your e-mail. I bet they'll get real alarmed if your e-mail starts
> out with:
>
> YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN FROZEN by court order due to criminal
> investigation by FBI and your State Attorneys Office. DO NOT RESPOND TO
> THIS E-MAIL. CALL YOUR STATE ATTORNEYS OFFICE REGARDING YOUR CASE.
> Postal notification has been sent to you via certified carrier and will
> be delivered within 2 business days to your currently registered
> residential address. Not responding to the documents sent via certified
> carrier within a period of 10 business days will be cause for levying
> FEDERAL PENALTIES OF NOT LESS THAN $25,000 AND ISSUANCE OF WARRANTS FOR
> YOUR ARREST.
>
> Bet that'll raise their eyebrows. Of course, be prepared for
> recipients that sue for 3rd degree assault due to mental trauma.

Love it

OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

alan

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gojuvi$g2h$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

>> investigation by FBI and your State Attorneys Office. DO NOT RESPOND TO
>> THIS E-MAIL. CALL YOUR STATE ATTORNEYS OFFICE REGARDING YOUR CASE.
>> Postal notification has been sent to you via certified carrier and will
>> be delivered within 2 business days to your currently registered
>> residential address. Not responding to the documents sent via certified
>> carrier within a period of 10 business days will be cause for levying
>> FEDERAL PENALTIES OF NOT LESS THAN $25,000 AND ISSUANCE OF WARRANTS FOR
>> YOUR ARREST.
>>
>> Bet that'll raise their eyebrows. Of course, be prepared for
>> recipients that sue for 3rd degree assault due to mental trauma.

> ==============
> Love it
>
> OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
> clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

Why not just make a short video of an alarm clock with an audio track? It
wouldn't be a "program", but when you opened it, you'd see an alarm clock
and you'd hear it . . .
BTW, why do you want such a thing? What's your purpose?

Evan Platt

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 19:00:36 -0000, "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>OK, instead, anyone know of a program which when opened will show an alarm
>clock and at the same time will set off the alarm?

Ok, so again, you're talking about a PROGRAM that would be e-mailed to
the person. The person would need to OPEN the program?

What are you trying to do, simply annoy someone with a sound when they
open an e-mail?