Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can't connect to POP mail server

Can't connect to POP mail server

Geoffm

Here is oen that has me stumped.
ADSL network - usual dodgy Slingshot connection.
We can send email (via google), surf web (occaisional timeouts),
usenet, use web based email, e tc - but the mail programs on 2
computers won't conenct ot either gmail or slingshot pop servers - and
both computers were fine before Saturday. We had an internet outage
then - slingshot had connectivity problems.
Tried different modems, 4 mail programs, cables, network conenctions
but to no avial. It just times out with
"Task 'pop.slingshot.co.nz - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) :
'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving
(POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your
server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

ANy ideas? Got me (and slingshot's tech support) stumped. ADSL modem
settings read out ok.
Next step is to take the laptop to a wireless hotspot and see if that
works.

Geoff

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoffm wrote:

> ... but the mail programs on 2
> computers won't conenct ot either gmail or slingshot pop servers ...

Try turning on connection logging in your MUA.

Alan

"Geoffm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is oen that has me stumped.
> ADSL network - usual dodgy Slingshot connection.
> We can send email (via google), surf web (occaisional timeouts),
> usenet, use web based email, e tc - but the mail programs on 2
> computers won't conenct ot either gmail or slingshot pop servers -
> and
> both computers were fine before Saturday. We had an internet outage
> then - slingshot had connectivity problems.
> Tried different modems, 4 mail programs, cables, network conenctions
> but to no avial. It just times out with
> "Task 'pop.slingshot.co.nz - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A)
> :
> 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving
> (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your
> server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
>
> ANy ideas? Got me (and slingshot's tech support) stumped. ADSL modem
> settings read out ok.
> Next step is to take the laptop to a wireless hotspot and see if
> that
> works.
>
> Geoff

Hi Geoff,

You don't mention what OS, but assuming Windows XP (if you are using
Vista, see (1) below), try connecting and
'talking' to the Slingshot mail server manually using telnet.

That way you can have complete control over the interaction, and
you'll know exactly where it is failing.

Initially, try connecting by running telnet from a command prompt
(Start - Run, type cmd, OK)

You: Telnet pop.slingshot.co.nz 25

That should get you a response something like (the responses from the
sever might be slighly different)

Server: +OK Hello there.

You: user GeoffJM

(or whatever your usename is)

Server: +OK Welcome

You: pass mypassword

(substitute your password)

Server: +OK maildrop ready

You: list

Server: +OK 2 messages (20000 octets)
1 15000
2 5000

(obviously whatever you have there in the mailbox)

You: retr 2

Server: +OK 5000 octets
{Blah Blah}
To: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Subject: Hello World

This is the body of the email

You: quit

At least then you'll know where it is working at a basic level or not.

Post back with your results.

HTH,

Alan.

(1) If you are using Vista, you need to activate the telnet command
before you can use it (and a bunch of other stuff that 99.9% of users
will never want to know about):

Control Panel \
Programs \
Programs and Features
(click Turn Windows features on or off on the LHS).

Select Telnet Client (and indeed anything else you might want
available).

My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Martin

sorry to nick-pick but its port 110 for pop not 25 (smtp)

eg. Telnet pop.slingshot.co.nz 110

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:goj0rk$ct3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> Post back with your results.
>
> HTH,
>
> Alan.
>

> (1) If you are using Vista, you need to activate the telnet command before
> you can use it (and a bunch of other stuff that 99.9% of users will never
> want to know about):
>
> Control Panel \
> Programs \
> Programs and Features
> (click Turn Windows features on or off on the LHS).
>
> Select Telnet Client (and indeed anything else you might want
> available).
>

> --
>
> The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
> My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
> min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
> use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Geoffm wrote:
>
>> ... but the mail programs on 2
>> computers won't conenct ot either gmail or slingshot pop servers ...

> Try turning on connection logging in your MUA.

I find that burning pheasant feathers while chanting "John Key, Phil
Goff" works better.

Cheers,

Cliff

Alan

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gok15i$9rg$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

>> At least then you'll know where it is working at a basic level or
>> not.
>>
>> Post back with your results.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Alan.
>>

>> (1) If you are using Vista, you need to activate the telnet command
>> before you can use it (and a bunch of other stuff that 99.9% of
>> users will never want to know about):
>>
>> Control Panel \
>> Programs \
>> Programs and Features
>> (click Turn Windows features on or off on the LHS).
>>
>> Select Telnet Client (and indeed anything else you might want
>> available).
>>

>> --
>>
>> The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
>> My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
>> min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you

Absolutely.

Given I was typing from memory, I think I did pretty well!

Geoff: Where I said to telnet in, do this instead:

Telnet pop.slingshot.co.nz 110

For reference, 25 is what you would connect to if you wanted to send
email to your account (rather than pull it out).

Sorry for the typo!

Alan.

My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Geoffm

Thanks very much for those clear instructions. I was able to telnet
into slingshot's mail server ok, so does this tmean there is possibly
a problem at this end - although it affects 2 computers at the same
time even with different modems. There is no hardware modem firewall.
Geoff

Alan

"Geoffm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks very much for those clear instructions. I was able to telnet
> into slingshot's mail server ok, so does this tmean there is
> possibly
> a problem at this end - although it affects 2 computers at the same
> time even with different modems. There is no hardware modem
> firewall.
> Geoff

Hi Geoff,

The error you are getting is a 'timeout' error (to state the obvious
as per your OP).

Can you check whether you have set the maximum tolerance for timeouts
in your mail application.

If you are using OE (for example), then you would go to:

Accounts
{Select the account}
Properties
Timeout

{Set it to 'long' - say, 5 mins or something}

You might want to record what it is currently set to, since if this
fixes it you can experiment in between.

Any other mail application should have something similar in the setup
somewhere.

If that fixes it, then really we have just treated the symptom - not
identified the cause.

Also, you do mention occasional timeouts while surfing the web, so I
suggest it is nothing wrong in your email app or mailserver - those
issues are just a symptom.

So,.....

Given that this is across two computers, and four different mail apps,
and some web surfing, I would say that the issue is with one or more
of your:

LAN
router
modem
connection,
DNS, or
Slingshot's server(s) - mail and / or any proxy.

If it was the latter, then they would know it from the number of
complaints, so I think we can probably rule that out for now (unless
we rule out everything else in which case we missed something!)

Next tests:

1) If you tried the wireless hotspot thing, then I would currently
expect that would be okay (given you have this issue on two machines).
Did you try that yet?

2) Are you connecting using a wired or wireless connection at home?
If wireless, can you connect using an ethernet cable (Cat5e say)? It
would at least rule out wireless LAN signal issues?

3) Is your modem also your router? If not, can you connect your
laptop directly to the modem using ethernet - that will rule out the
router (if separate)?

4) Does your modem or router have anything in it that will allow a
connection test? Specifically, we are looking to see how fast it is
(straight throughput of bits), and also how good a quality (how many
bits get lost or corrupted and have to be resent)? If you can't see
anything, Slingshot may be able to do some kind of speed test,
especially if the modem is theirs (might be utilities that you can't
see)?

5) Who is providing DNS for you? Is it Slingshot, or are you using
some other DNS provider (OpenDNS for example)? If your DNS servers
are slow it can make everything else slow.

Enough for now - post back with results as you can.

Alan.

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 21:58:32 +1300, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Geoffm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>

>If you are using OE (for example), then you would go to:
>
>Accounts
>{Select the account}
>Properties
>Timeout
>
>{Set it to 'long' - say, 5 mins or something}

Set to 6 mins - stil no good

In other news - while this has been going on, MSN messenger doesn't
work either - can't log in.

>1) If you tried the wireless hotspot thing, then I would currently
>expect that would be okay (given you have this issue on two machines).
>Did you try that yet?

My wife tried the wireless hotspot (telecom one at the local library)
with her laptop - worked fine with no problems first time.

>2) Are you connecting using a wired or wireless connection at home?
>If wireless, can you connect using an ethernet cable (Cat5e say)? It
>would at least rule out wireless LAN signal issues?

Tried both - ethernet direct to router and wireless.

>3) Is your modem also your router? If not, can you connect your
>laptop directly to the modem using ethernet - that will rule out the
>router (if separate)?

yes- it i have 2 - a Dynalink RTA-1333 and a Web Excel. Both 4 port
router and modem. The wireless is a separate D-link.

>4) Does your modem or router have anything in it that will allow a
>connection test? Specifically, we are looking to see how fast it is
>(straight throughput of bits), and also how good a quality (how many
>bits get lost or corrupted and have to be resent)? If you can't see
>anything, Slingshot may be able to do some kind of speed test,
>especially if the modem is theirs (might be utilities that you can't
>see)?

The speedtest at speedtest.net and nzdsl.co.nz and
speedtest.slingshot.co.nz all show that up and down speeds are as
expected - 1700 donw, 120-130 up.

>5) Who is providing DNS for you? Is it Slingshot, or are you using
>some other DNS provider (OpenDNS for example)? If your DNS servers
>are slow it can make everything else slow.

Slingshot -rrouter is autolookup DNS with the e DNS numbers also
entered into the primary and secondary DNS lsit.

Geoff

Alan

Hi Geoff,

At this point I am definitely of the opinion at this point that the
issue is either your modem / router, your connection to slingshot, or
your DNS.

"Geoffm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 21:58:32 +1300, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Geoffm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>

>>If you are using OE (for example), then you would go to:
>>
>>Accounts
>>{Select the account}
>>Properties
>>Timeout
>>
>>{Set it to 'long' - say, 5 mins or something}

> Set to 6 mins - stil no good
>
> In other news - while this has been going on, MSN messenger doesn't
> work either - can't log in.

Okay - expected result as it is nothing to do with email / mailserver
specifically.

>>1) If you tried the wireless hotspot thing, then I would currently
>>expect that would be okay (given you have this issue on two
>>machines).
>>Did you try that yet?

> My wife tried the wireless hotspot (telecom one at the local
> library)
> with her laptop - worked fine with no problems first time.

Also expected - it is not your laptop.

>>2) Are you connecting using a wired or wireless connection at home?
>>If wireless, can you connect using an ethernet cable (Cat5e say)?
>>It
>>would at least rule out wireless LAN signal issues?

> Tried both - ethernet direct to router and wireless.

No difference?

That rules out the wireless connection.

>>3) Is your modem also your router? If not, can you connect your
>>laptop directly to the modem using ethernet - that will rule out the
>>router (if separate)?

> yes- it i have 2 - a Dynalink RTA-1333 and a Web Excel. Both 4 port
> router and modem. The wireless is a separate D-link.

I'm a bit confused here. Are you saying you have two units, both of
which are integrated modem and router?

>>4) Does your modem or router have anything in it that will allow a
>>connection test? Specifically, we are looking to see how fast it is
>>(straight throughput of bits), and also how good a quality (how many
>>bits get lost or corrupted and have to be resent)? If you can't see
>>anything, Slingshot may be able to do some kind of speed test,
>>especially if the modem is theirs (might be utilities that you can't
>>see)?

> The speedtest at speedtest.net and nzdsl.co.nz and
> speedtest.slingshot.co.nz all show that up and down speeds are as
> expected - 1700 donw, 120-130 up.

We'll come back to that, but it makes me wonder if DNS is your
problem.

>>5) Who is providing DNS for you? Is it Slingshot, or are you using
>>some other DNS provider (OpenDNS for example)? If your DNS servers
>>are slow it can make everything else slow.
>>

> Slingshot -rrouter is autolookup DNS with the e DNS numbers also
> entered into the primary and secondary DNS lsit.

Is that a typo, or a model type ("-rrouter")?

Is it one or other of the two you mention above (Dynalink RTA-1333) or
the (Web Excel) ?

6) How is your laptop getting its DNS settings, and what are they
currently?

Thanks,

Alan.