Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Vista64 filehandling oddity - new discovery :-(

Re: Vista64 filehandling oddity - new discovery :-(

Jud Hendrix

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:12:59 +0000, Jud Hendrix <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Folks, discovered an oddity with Vista64 + SP1, which I want to warn
>you about. I sometimes get a bunch of files e-mailed to me in 10MB
>sections.
>I put them in a directory and un-RAR them by Right-clicking the first
>file and do an Extract Here.
>Next step is I drag-scroll down to the end and then do a
>Shift-Ctrl-End to select all the files up to the end.
>Now oddly enough the file which is unpacked, the first one in the
>list, is also automagically selected. So if I would simply delete the
>files, the one I needed, would be deleted.
>Anyone else experienced this? It could be a destructive exercise when
>I would Shft-Del without checking

Got one of these e-mails again today, and I noticed that it's not only
when I select the files per key, also when I scroll down and click the
last file, the one before the first selected file, is also selected.
It looks like it has to do with the file being unpacked, appearing
before the packed files. Let me explain:

These are my files

aaa.r00
aaa.r01
aaa.r02
aaa.r03
aaa.rar

I now right-click aaa.r00 and via context-menu extract to the current
folder. So far, so good.
The new file is created before the compressed files, so the folder
looks like

aaa.psd
aaa.r00
aaa.r01
aaa.r02
aaa.r03
aaa.rar

If I now hold the Shift-key, and click the last file in the list,
being aaa.rar, the aaa.psd file is also selected!!!!!! It's as if
Vista doesn't look at the filename, but at the position in the folder
window to make the selection. So if I would delete the files now, the
one which I needed, is also gone. This works with selecting by mouse
or keys. Try it for yourself.

I am testing Vista64 Ultimate with SP1, but this flaw made us decide
to post-pone any further conversion of our systems. We are currently
also running a test of Windows 7, so what I'll do now is to see if
this also occurs on Windows 7. "I'll be back"

jud

Bobby Johnson

Is there something wrong with your system? This is about the 3rd time
you have posted the exact same message. It's as tholugh your computer
keeps repeating itself.

Jud Hendrix wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 17:12:59 +0000, Jud Hendrix <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Folks, discovered an oddity with Vista64 + SP1, which I want to warn
>> you about. I sometimes get a bunch of files e-mailed to me in 10MB
>> sections.
>> I put them in a directory and un-RAR them by Right-clicking the first
>> file and do an Extract Here.
>> Next step is I drag-scroll down to the end and then do a
>> Shift-Ctrl-End to select all the files up to the end.
>> Now oddly enough the file which is unpacked, the first one in the
>> list, is also automagically selected. So if I would simply delete the
>> files, the one I needed, would be deleted.
>> Anyone else experienced this? It could be a destructive exercise when
>> I would Shft-Del without checking

> Got one of these e-mails again today, and I noticed that it's not only
> when I select the files per key, also when I scroll down and click the
> last file, the one before the first selected file, is also selected.
> It looks like it has to do with the file being unpacked, appearing
> before the packed files. Let me explain:
>
> These are my files
>
> aaa.r00
> aaa.r01
> aaa.r02
> aaa.r03
> aaa.rar
>

> I now right-click aaa.r00 and via context-menu extract to the current
> folder. So far, so good.
> The new file is created before the compressed files, so the folder
> looks like
>
> aaa.psd
> aaa.r00
> aaa.r01
> aaa.r02
> aaa.r03
> aaa.rar
>

> If I now hold the Shift-key, and click the last file in the list,
> being aaa.rar, the aaa.psd file is also selected!!!!!! It's as if
> Vista doesn't look at the filename, but at the position in the folder
> window to make the selection. So if I would delete the files now, the
> one which I needed, is also gone. This works with selecting by mouse
> or keys. Try it for yourself.
>
> I am testing Vista64 Ultimate with SP1, but this flaw made us decide
> to post-pone any further conversion of our systems. We are currently
> also running a test of Windows 7, so what I'll do now is to see if
> this also occurs on Windows 7. "I'll be back"
>
> jud

%u

== Quote from Jud Hendrix ((E-Mail Removed))'s article

> If I now hold the Shift-key, and click the last file in the list,
> being aaa.rar, the aaa.psd file is also selected!!!!!! It's as if
> Vista doesn't look at the filename, but at the position in the folder
> window to make the selection. So if I would delete the files now, the
> one which I needed, is also gone. This works with selecting by mouse
> or keys. Try it for yourself.
> I am testing Vista64 Ultimate with SP1, but this flaw made us decide
> to post-pone any further conversion of our systems. We are currently
> also running a test of Windows 7, so what I'll do now is to see if
> this also occurs on Windows 7. "I'll be back"

This is expected behavior. A workaround would be to use the Ctrl key instead of
the Shift key.