Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Want to substitute the % in the url with the equivalent one.

Want to substitute the % in the url with the equivalent one.

Hongyi Zhao

Hi all,

I've a following url:

http://sd.dynamic-dns.net/science?_o.../sdarticle.pdf

I want to make the % disappear in it by some equivalent substitions
rules. Is this possible?

--
..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Hongyi Zhao <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've a following url:
>
> http://sd.dynamic-dns.net/science?_o...31-BK-1&_cdi=5
> 539&_user=6104474&_orig=search&_coverDate=07%2F02% 2F1981&_sk=998979993&view=c&
> wchp=dGLbVtz-zSkWA&_valck=1&md5=1c4770f46211140f4dd7fd09f54fb9d 0&ie=/sdarticle
> .pdf
>
> I want to make the % disappear in it by some equivalent substitions
> rules. Is this possible?

Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it? That
way, it does not matter how long it is.

--
dorayme

rf

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hongyi Zhao <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've a following url:
>>
>> http://sd.dynamic-dns.net/science?_o...31-BK-1&_cdi=5
>> 539&_user=6104474&_orig=search&_coverDate=07%2F02% 2F1981&_sk=998979993&view=c&
>> wchp=dGLbVtz-zSkWA&_valck=1&md5=1c4770f46211140f4dd7fd09f54fb9d 0&ie=/sdarticle
>> .pdf
>>
>> I want to make the % disappear in it by some equivalent substitions
>> rules. Is this possible?

> Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
> putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it?
> That way, it does not matter how long it is.

Better make that a POST link.

Hongyi Zhao

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:13:39 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
>putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it? That
>way, it does not matter how long it is.

Good, thanks for you advices, I've got it based on the free service
provided by http://tinyurl.com/.

--

Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:13:39 +1100, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
>> putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it?
>> That way, it does not matter how long it is.

> Good, thanks for you advices, I've got it based on the free service
> provided by http://tinyurl.com/.

Which many people won't use as you never know where you are being sent,
perhaps spamyou.cn? I would never follow one outside trusted newsgroup
postings, and even then perhaps not those from dorayme

dorayme

In article <PwMql.24421$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:13:39 +1100, dorayme
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
> >> putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it?
> >> That way, it does not matter how long it is.

> > Good, thanks for you advices, I've got it based on the free service
> > provided by http://tinyurl.com/.

> Which many people won't use as you never know where you are being sent,
> perhaps spamyou.cn? I would never follow one outside trusted newsgroup
> postings, and even then perhaps not those from dorayme

Have I led you anywhere bad?

--
dorayme

rf

dorayme wrote:
> In article <PwMql.24421$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hongyi Zhao wrote:

>>> Good, thanks for you advices, I've got it based on the free service
>>> provided by http://tinyurl.com/.

>> Which many people won't use as you never know where you are being
>> sent, perhaps spamyou.cn? I would never follow one outside trusted
>> newsgroup postings, and even then perhaps not those from dorayme

> Have I led you anywhere bad?

Apart from the garden path no, not AFAIK. I'm careful though

dorayme

In article <uSMql.24425$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <PwMql.24421$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> Which many people won't use as you never know where you are being
> >> sent, perhaps spamyou.cn? I would never follow one outside trusted
> >> newsgroup postings, and even then perhaps not those from dorayme

> > Have I led you anywhere bad?

> Apart from the garden path no, not AFAIK. I'm careful though

In the tiny url technique, there is the alternative URL which takes you
to a display of the link URL text first. This is designed for those
wanting to tread a wary path... I did this a few times and then gave up
with the comforting illusion that folk should be able to trust me by now
on such things.

--
dorayme

rf

dorayme wrote:
> In article <uSMql.24425$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:

>>> Have I led you anywhere bad?

>> Apart from the garden path no, not AFAIK. I'm careful though

> In the tiny url technique, there is the alternative URL which takes
> you to a display of the link URL text first. This is designed for
> those wanting to tread a wary path... I did this a few times and then
> gave up with the comforting illusion that folk should be able to
> trust me by now on such things.

dorayme, m'dear of course I trust you (well to a certain extent). Notice the
; in the above smiley. You know, one eye closed, wink wink, havin a go at
you
Me, I just arrange my URLs so that they are not too long. The OP's is
simply, no, ridiculously, too long.

What I do NOT trust is anybody I don't know trying to lead me down a tinyurl
garden path. Its like those bloody spam things that are just a giant image
that look like a page with a valid URL to "click here" on but when one looks
at the status bar it's invaribly going to somewhere in .cn. This is what I
want the OP to consider.

Jukka K. Korpela

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> I've a following url:
>
> http://sd.dynamic-dns.net/science?_o.../sdarticle.pdf
>
> I want to make the % disappear in it by some equivalent substitions
> rules. Is this possible?

I wonder why you are doing this, but the apparent way is to unescape the %2F
construct, i.e. replacing it by the solidus (slash) character "/". It is not
a reserved character in the query part. Beware, however, that RFC 3986 says
in clase 3,4;

The characters slash ("/") and question mark ("?") may represent data
within the query component. Beware that some older, erroneous
implementations may not handle such data correctly when it is used as
the base URI for relative references (Section 5.1), apparently
because they fail to distinguish query data from path data when
looking for hierarchical separators.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/