Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What do I need if I want to plug in multiple SATA drives to an existing system?

What do I need if I want to plug in multiple SATA drives to an existing system?

Alan

Hi All,

I have a situation where I would like to plug in a number of SATA
drives (I have quite a few available - 80GB to 250GB) to create a
larger storage array (1.0 to 1.5TB and expandable by replacing the
80GB drives with old 500GB drives as and when they get cycled out).

This won't be storing anything mission critical, so I don't
necessarily *need* RAID5 (and I guess I could run FreeNAS on the
system to do a software RAID anyway if desireable).

I have looked as NAS boxes, but they seem quite expensive to just
house the drives.

So, I think I just need something like a 6-port (12-port??) multi-way
connector that plugs into the existing SATA data and power sockets on
the motherboard.

Issues:

1) I don't know what this would be called to search for it online
(PriceSpy say)

2) Maybe I don't understand why I need a big expensive box, rather
than a 'splitter cable' of some sort (power maybe the issue)?

3) Is there a better way still?

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Alan.

My unmunged email is: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

J Brockley

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gofng4$thr$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi All,
>
> I have a situation where I would like to plug in a number of SATA drives
> (I have quite a few available - 80GB to 250GB) to create a larger storage
> array (1.0 to 1.5TB and expandable by replacing the 80GB drives with old
> 500GB drives as and when they get cycled out).
>
> This won't be storing anything mission critical, so I don't necessarily
> *need* RAID5 (and I guess I could run FreeNAS on the system to do a
> software RAID anyway if desireable).
>
> I have looked as NAS boxes, but they seem quite expensive to just house
> the drives.
>
> So, I think I just need something like a 6-port (12-port??) multi-way
> connector that plugs into the existing SATA data and power sockets on the
> motherboard.
>
> Issues:
>
> 1) I don't know what this would be called to search for it online
> (PriceSpy say)
>
> 2) Maybe I don't understand why I need a big expensive box, rather than a
> 'splitter cable' of some sort (power maybe the issue)?
>
> 3) Is there a better way still?
>

> Can anyone advise?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

I'm not sure having multiple small drives is all that beneficial as the cost
of supporting them all probably out weights the saving of buying a single
big drive new. Its easy enough to get Mbrd which support 4 drives in raid or
even add in cards to do the same but I suspect getting beyond this is seen
as getting serious and probably priced accordingly.

The " big expensive box" are usually a cutdown PC running Linux and I guess
because they are not common as muck priced accordingly. I was going to do
something similar with smaller drivers as you but in the end a DLink NAS box
won out and its by far a better setup.
Its on all the time but very low power when idle and its available to
everything on the network from PC's to media players. Also does bit torrent
so no need to leave PC on the handle that task.

simonnz10@gmail.com

On Mar 2, 5:15*pm, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a situation where I would like to plug in a number of SATA
> drives (I have quite a few available - 80GB to 250GB) to create a
> larger storage array (1.0 to 1.5TB and expandable by replacing the
> 80GB drives with old 500GB drives as and when they get cycled out).
>
> This won't be storing anything mission critical, so I don't
> necessarily *need* RAID5 (and I guess I could run FreeNAS on the
> system to do a software RAID anyway if desireable).
>
> I have looked as NAS boxes, but they seem quite expensive to just
> house the drives.
>
> So, I think I just need something like a 6-port (12-port??) multi-way
> connector that plugs into the existing SATA data and power sockets on
> the motherboard.
>
> Issues:
>
> 1) I don't know what this would be called to search for it online
> (PriceSpy say)
>
> 2) Maybe I don't understand why I need a big expensive box, rather
> than a 'splitter cable' of some sort (power maybe the issue)?
>
> 3) Is there a better way still?
>
> Can anyone advise?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.
>
> --
>
> The views expressed are my own, not those of my employer or others.
> My unmunged email is: *(E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
> min). *The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
> use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

You might also have a few difficulties from a logistical and
performance perspective in using various drives. Your best bet is IMO,
to buy a new higher capacity drive.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a situation where I would like to plug in a number of SATA
> drives (I have quite a few available - 80GB to 250GB) to create a
> larger storage array (1.0 to 1.5TB and expandable by replacing the
> 80GB drives with old 500GB drives as and when they get cycled out).
>
> This won't be storing anything mission critical, so I don't
> necessarily *need* RAID5 (and I guess I could run FreeNAS on the
> system to do a software RAID anyway if desireable).
>
> I have looked as NAS boxes, but they seem quite expensive to just
> house the drives.
>
> So, I think I just need something like a 6-port (12-port??) multi-way
> connector that plugs into the existing SATA data and power sockets on
> the motherboard.
>
> Issues:
>
> 1) I don't know what this would be called to search for it online
> (PriceSpy say)
>
> 2) Maybe I don't understand why I need a big expensive box, rather
> than a 'splitter cable' of some sort (power maybe the issue)?
>
> 3) Is there a better way still?
>

> Can anyone advise?

Hi Alan,

AFAIK you can't use a 'splitter' on SATA, you need one port per drive. Hence
your answer probably lies in PCI or PCIe card/s.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Richard

Alan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a situation where I would like to plug in a number of SATA drives
> (I have quite a few available - 80GB to 250GB) to create a larger
> storage array (1.0 to 1.5TB and expandable by replacing the 80GB drives
> with old 500GB drives as and when they get cycled out).
>
> This won't be storing anything mission critical, so I don't necessarily
> *need* RAID5 (and I guess I could run FreeNAS on the system to do a
> software RAID anyway if desireable).
>
> I have looked as NAS boxes, but they seem quite expensive to just house
> the drives.
>
> So, I think I just need something like a 6-port (12-port??) multi-way
> connector that plugs into the existing SATA data and power sockets on
> the motherboard.
>
> Issues:
>
> 1) I don't know what this would be called to search for it online
> (PriceSpy say)
>
> 2) Maybe I don't understand why I need a big expensive box, rather than
> a 'splitter cable' of some sort (power maybe the issue)?
>
> 3) Is there a better way still?

Port multiplier is what you mean, but they are normally used in an esata
case not internal to a computer,

Would be cheaper and faster to just use multiple cheap 4 port sata PCI
or PCIe cards

Alan

"J Brockley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gofpag$p5b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gofng4$thr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a situation where I would like to plug in a number of SATA
>> drives (I have quite a few available - 80GB to 250GB) to create a
>> larger storage array (1.0 to 1.5TB and expandable by replacing the
>> 80GB drives with old 500GB drives as and when they get cycled out).
>>
>> This won't be storing anything mission critical, so I don't
>> necessarily *need* RAID5 (and I guess I could run FreeNAS on the
>> system to do a software RAID anyway if desireable).
>>
>> I have looked as NAS boxes, but they seem quite expensive to just
>> house the drives.
>>
>> So, I think I just need something like a 6-port (12-port??)
>> multi-way connector that plugs into the existing SATA data and
>> power sockets on the motherboard.
>>
>> Issues:
>>
>> 1) I don't know what this would be called to search for it online
>> (PriceSpy say)
>>
>> 2) Maybe I don't understand why I need a big expensive box, rather
>> than a 'splitter cable' of some sort (power maybe the issue)?
>>
>> 3) Is there a better way still?
>>

>> Can anyone advise?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alan.
>>

> I'm not sure having multiple small drives is all that beneficial as
> the cost of supporting them all probably out weights the saving of
> buying a single big drive new. Its easy enough to get Mbrd which
> support 4 drives in raid or even add in cards to do the same but I
> suspect getting beyond this is seen as getting serious and probably
> priced accordingly.
>
> The " big expensive box" are usually a cutdown PC running Linux and
> I guess because they are not common as muck priced accordingly. I
> was going to do something similar with smaller drivers as you but in
> the end a DLink NAS box won out and its by far a better setup.
> Its on all the time but very low power when idle and its available
> to everything on the network from PC's to media players. Also does
> bit torrent so no need to leave PC on the handle that task.

Hi,

I have all the drives here already, so no cost for them.

Does that change the economics?

What 'box' did you go for? I plan to look at all the alternatives and
just put them side by side price-wise, so whatever I can get that box
for (PriceSpy price will do for comparison) is what I would use.

Thanks,

Alan.

My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Mar 2, 5:15 pm, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You might also have a few difficulties from a logistical and
>performance perspective in using various drives. Your best bet is
>IMO,
>to buy a new higher capacity drive.

Hi Simon,

Performance won't be an issue - this is for storage only, and I won't
be needing to access things rapidly.

What do you mean by 'logistical difficulties'?

Thanks,

Alan.

My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:55:27 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Alan wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a situation where I would like to plug in a number of SATA drives
>> (I have quite a few available - 80GB to 250GB) to create a larger
>> storage array (1.0 to 1.5TB and expandable by replacing the 80GB drives
>> with old 500GB drives as and when they get cycled out).
>>
>> This won't be storing anything mission critical, so I don't necessarily
>> *need* RAID5 (and I guess I could run FreeNAS on the system to do a
>> software RAID anyway if desireable).
>>
>> I have looked as NAS boxes, but they seem quite expensive to just house
>> the drives.
>>
>> So, I think I just need something like a 6-port (12-port??) multi-way
>> connector that plugs into the existing SATA data and power sockets on
>> the motherboard.
>>
>> Issues:
>>
>> 1) I don't know what this would be called to search for it online
>> (PriceSpy say)
>>
>> 2) Maybe I don't understand why I need a big expensive box, rather than
>> a 'splitter cable' of some sort (power maybe the issue)?
>>
>> 3) Is there a better way still?

>Port multiplier is what you mean, but they are normally used in an esata
>case not internal to a computer,
>
>Would be cheaper and faster to just use multiple cheap 4 port sata PCI
>or PCIe cards

PCI cards do not transfer data fast enough for SATA drives. PCIe is
the way to go.

eyes

Alan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a situation where I would like to plug in a number of SATA drives
> (I have quite a few available - 80GB to 250GB) to create a larger
> storage array (1.0 to 1.5TB and expandable by replacing the 80GB drives
> with old 500GB drives as and when they get cycled out).
>
> This won't be storing anything mission critical, so I don't necessarily
> *need* RAID5 (and I guess I could run FreeNAS on the system to do a
> software RAID anyway if desireable).
>
> I have looked as NAS boxes, but they seem quite expensive to just house
> the drives.
>
> So, I think I just need something like a 6-port (12-port??) multi-way
> connector that plugs into the existing SATA data and power sockets on
> the motherboard.
>
> Issues:
>
> 1) I don't know what this would be called to search for it online
> (PriceSpy say)
>
> 2) Maybe I don't understand why I need a big expensive box, rather than
> a 'splitter cable' of some sort (power maybe the issue)?
>
> 3) Is there a better way still?
>

> Can anyone advise?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

RAID will be a problem on mixed sized drives. Your RAID size will be
equivalent to the smallest drive.

And upgrading a RAID is difficult. You cannot replace a disk with a
bigger one and expect it to expand automatically. With some work you may
be able to do it, but it is usually easier to create a new RAID and copy
the data over.

By the time you factor in power requirements and reliability of multiple
older drives, etc. It may just be better to buy a bigger drive instead.

Alan

news:gofpv3$eqf$(E-Mail Removed)...

> AFAIK you can't use a 'splitter' on SATA, you need one port per
> drive. Hence your answer probably lies in PCI or PCIe card/s.

Hi Shaun,

I searched PCI + SATA on PriceSpy but I seemed to get power supplies:

PCIe + SATA gave me systems / motherboards.

Would you be able to 'lead me by the nose' and link an example of what
you mean?

Thanks in advance,

Alan.