Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > RAM Upgrade Question

RAM Upgrade Question

JohnO

Hi All,

Need to upgrade a Dell Optiplex755 from 2Gb to 4Gb. It has 4 240 pin
DIMM slots, and two are currently occupied by 1Gb modules.

The crucial.com website recommends DDR2-667 PC5300 memory. However It
seems that DDR2-800 PC6400 is actually cheaper. Can this be used
instead? Any reason not to?

Cheers
JohnO

Gordon

On 2009-03-02, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Need to upgrade a Dell Optiplex755 from 2Gb to 4Gb. It has 4 240 pin
> DIMM slots, and two are currently occupied by 1Gb modules.
>
> The crucial.com website recommends DDR2-667 PC5300 memory. However It
> seems that DDR2-800 PC6400 is actually cheaper. Can this be used
> instead?

Yes.

> Any reason not to?

No.

Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

simonnz10@gmail.com

On Mar 2, 4:51*pm, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Need to upgrade a Dell Optiplex755 from 2Gb to 4Gb. It has 4 240 pin
> DIMM slots, and two are currently occupied by 1Gb modules.
>
> The crucial.com website recommends DDR2-667 PC5300 memory. However It
> seems that DDR2-800 PC6400 is actually cheaper. Can this be used
> instead? Any reason not to?
>
> Cheers
> JohnO

It should be fine given that you're using what is generally regarded
as a pretty good brand.

JohnO

On Mar 2, 5:35*pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2009-03-02, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,

> > Need to upgrade a Dell Optiplex755 from 2Gb to 4Gb. It has 4 240 pin
> > DIMM slots, and two are currently occupied by 1Gb modules.

> > The crucial.com website recommends DDR2-667 PC5300 memory. However It
> > seems that DDR2-800 PC6400 is actually cheaper. Can this be used
> > instead?

> Yes.
>
> > Any reason not to?

> No.
>
> Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
> On Mar 2, 5:35 pm, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2009-03-02, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,

>>> Need to upgrade a Dell Optiplex755 from 2Gb to 4Gb. It has 4 240 pin
>>> DIMM slots, and two are currently occupied by 1Gb modules.

>>> The crucial.com website recommends DDR2-667 PC5300 memory. However
>>> It seems that DDR2-800 PC6400 is actually cheaper. Can this be used
>>> instead?

>> Yes.
>>
>>> Any reason not to?

>> No.
>>
>> Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

> Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

WinXP 32 bit? My desktop machine has 4GB fitted but XP reports 3.25GB. It
works fine though....
--
Shaun.

Enkidu

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> No.
>>>
>>> Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

>> Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

> WinXP 32 bit? My desktop machine has 4GB fitted but XP reports 3.25GB. It
> works fine though....

The difference is probably the video card aperture. I theeenk that XP 64
moves that above 4GB.

Cheers,

Cliff

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 19:47:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> No.
>>>
>>> Well assuming that the MB and the OS can take 4GB of RAM.

>> Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

>WinXP 32 bit? My desktop machine has 4GB fitted but XP reports 3.25GB. It
>works fine though....

Yes, there needs to be room in the 32-bit address space for all the
I/O addresses. 32 bits = 4 Gibytes of address space, so the RAM under
the I/O addresses is unusable. Vista 32-bit is the same, as is Linux
32-bit (but you can configure how much is used in Linux).

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <29a64027-32fb-4b70-8cef-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, JohnO wrote:

> Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

If it's 32-bit Windows, it'll need PAE support to access more than about
3GiB, which is not available in XP Home.

simonnz10@gmail.com

On Mar 2, 9:16*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <29a64027-32fb-4b70-8cef-
>
> (E-Mail Removed)>, JohnO wrote:
> > Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

> If it's 32-bit Windows, it'll need PAE support to access more than about
> 3GiB, which is not available in XP Home.

Yup, good point. We probably should have asked for more information
right at the start!

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Mar 2, 8:49*pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

> >> Yep, WinXP so 4GB is supported and the mobo supports up to 8GB.

> > WinXP 32 bit? My desktop machine has 4GB fitted but XP reports 3.25GB. It
> > works fine though....

> *>
> The difference is probably the video card aperture. I theeenk that XP 64
> moves that above 4GB.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
> the same old personalities show through.

yes