Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCAD > MCAD and MCSD exam expiration?

MCAD and MCSD exam expiration?

NeedHelpPlease

I am currently taking the 2389 course and half through it. I expected this
to put me on the path to acquiring a MCAD and MCSD. I am currently not a
programmer, so my studies are slow. I have been told that these
certifications are to expire on 3/31/2009 and wanted to know my options.

1.) Are these exams 70-305, 70-306, 70-310, 70-300, and 70-431 really going
to expire or do I have longer to take them; since I am working towards these
certifications?
2.) Should I still try to take the first test to acquire a MCP - if possible?
3.) Is 70-536, 70-528 for a Web Developer and 70-536 and 70-526 for Windows
Developer. Are all of these courses for the exams that I have listed in
question #1?
4.) There is no way I will pass all these exams before March, what should I
do?
(I have been preparing and taking courses for MCAD and MCSD for a long while)

Any direction or help you can lend me would be great! Thank you.

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"NeedHelpPlease" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am currently taking the 2389 course and half through it. I expected this
> to put me on the path to acquiring a MCAD and MCSD. I am currently not a
> programmer, so my studies are slow. I have been told that these
> certifications are to expire on 3/31/2009 and wanted to know my options.
>
> 1.) Are these exams 70-305, 70-306, 70-310, 70-300, and 70-431 really
> going
> to expire

Yes, the -3xx MCAD exams will expire on 3/31/2009. The 70-431, in accordance
with the MCTS/MCITP policies, will be available for as long as the
associated product (SQL Server 2005) is in Mainstream Support. (April,
2011).

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...storetire.mspx

> 2.) Should I still try to take the first test to acquire a MCP - if
> possible?

Depends. Is there value to you to be certified on a .NET v1.1 development
environment. Or do you think there would be more value to you to focus on
the .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.x development environments -- and thus work on the
MCTS/MCPD certification path, rather than the 28-days-from-retirement
MCAD/MCPD path?

> 3.) Is 70-536, 70-528 for a Web Developer and 70-536 and 70-526 for
> Windows
> Developer. Are all of these courses for the exams that I have listed in
> question #1?

The numbers 70-xxx are all =EXAM= numbers. To determine the appropriate
coursework for those exams (Classroom, Self-Study, ELearning) refer to the
appropriate Exam Objectives webpage, e.g.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...ms/70-536.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...ms/70-528.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en...ms/70-526.aspx

> 4.) There is no way I will pass all these exams before March,

A very astute and observant conclusion.

> what should I do?

That's your decision -- but I think you've already answered your question.
Why chase a bear that can run faster and farther than you can ever possibly
do?

> (I have been preparing and taking courses for MCAD and MCSD for a long
> while)

This training is not lost, nor useless. A significant portion of the
training you have done in the .NET v1.1 environment is directly applicable
to the .NET 2.0 environment. You'll need to "forget" the things that were
dropped from .NET v1.1, and you'll need to learn new things that were added
in .NET 2.0 (e.g. ASP.NET was almost completely redesigned -- for the
BETTER!)

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com