Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Lack of ability to make up a wireless network WITHOUT an internet

Lack of ability to make up a wireless network WITHOUT an internet

Dan171681

Lack of ability to make up a wireless network WITHOUT an internet connection.
I used a dialup phone connection (no DSL) for years - always had trouble
trying to find the 'correct' connection in the "Wizard" ( it doesn't exist
!!!!).

Now I have a usb wireless modem. For at least a year I used it and had my
wireless internet (Not Linked!). If I wanted internet on a given computer I
would have to move the wireless usb modem to that computer.

I attempted to see if I could use my usb wireless in a wireless network
capacity to see what happened.
What happened is that now on one of the computers I have NO internet access
because it thinks the usb wireless is my wireless network - hence (--" Both
Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection ")
is an error message I get. I cannot find my way back to getting my simple
internet connection back!
I reloaded the usb modem software.
I've reinstalled IE.
I've removed the Wireless router software.

Still no effect!

Thanks for your time and effort,

Dan 171681
Daniel Will Labs

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

HI
USB Wireless Modem is Not a common Device, it might be that you are mistaken
in the way you use it.
Please post the name and model of the Device, and what Internet source is.
If the device has also a regular Ethernet connection than "ditch" the USB
and start to use the Ethernet.
Regular Network configuration should look like this,
http://www.ezlan.net/router.jpg
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Dan171681" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lack of ability to make up a wireless network WITHOUT an internet
> connection.
> I used a dialup phone connection (no DSL) for years - always had trouble
> trying to find the 'correct' connection in the "Wizard" ( it doesn't exist
> !!!!).
>
> Now I have a usb wireless modem. For at least a year I used it and had my
> wireless internet (Not Linked!). If I wanted internet on a given computer
> would have to move the wireless usb modem to that computer.
>
> I attempted to see if I could use my usb wireless in a wireless network
> capacity to see what happened.
> What happened is that now on one of the computers I have NO internet
> access
> because it thinks the usb wireless is my wireless network - hence (--"
> Both
> Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
> ")
> is an error message I get. I cannot find my way back to getting my simple
> internet connection back!
> I reloaded the usb modem software.
> I've reinstalled IE.
> I've removed the Wireless router software.
>
> Still no effect!
>
> Thanks for your time and effort,
>
> Dan 171681
> Daniel Will Labs

Lem

Dan171681 wrote:
> Lack of ability to make up a wireless network WITHOUT an internet connection.
> I used a dialup phone connection (no DSL) for years - always had trouble
> trying to find the 'correct' connection in the "Wizard" ( it doesn't exist
> !!!!).
>
> Now I have a usb wireless modem. For at least a year I used it and had my
> wireless internet (Not Linked!). If I wanted internet on a given computer I
> would have to move the wireless usb modem to that computer.
>
> I attempted to see if I could use my usb wireless in a wireless network
> capacity to see what happened.
> What happened is that now on one of the computers I have NO internet access
> because it thinks the usb wireless is my wireless network - hence (--" Both
> Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection ")
> is an error message I get. I cannot find my way back to getting my simple
> internet connection back!
> I reloaded the usb modem software.
> I've reinstalled IE.
> I've removed the Wireless router software.
>
> Still no effect!
>
> Thanks for your time and effort,
>
> Dan 171681
> Daniel Will Labs

In addition to answering Jack's question, please also describe what
"Wireless router software" you removed.

Further, what do you do that results in that error message (and please
repeat it verbatim, without paraphrasing)?

--
Lem -- MS-MVP