Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Usenet service?

Re: Usenet service?

Mike Easter

Coffee Lover Girl wrote:
> cross post to less than 10 groups max,

There is a 'problem' with groups or participants in groups in which this
kind of posting style of yours prevails:

Newsgroups: nj.general, oh.general, md.general, ny.general, la.general,
miami.general

Newsgroups: co.general, alt.politics.conservative,
alt.politics.usa,us.politics, alt.society.liberalism

Newsgroups: co.general, talk.politics.guns, alt.politics.republican,
alt.politics.usa.republican, alt.politics.republicans, alt.politics.usa,
us.politics, alt.politics.usa.constitution.gun-rights, alt.guns

I'm probably not the right one to rant about this issue, because all of my
views about this aren't agreed on by many -- but I will say that I don't
think that anyone should initiate any post or crosspost into any group
which they don't subscribe to and read regularly - no blind posting or
crossposting, and they shouldn't crosspost reply that way either.

If I am reading a message in co.general and I don't read nj.general or
oh.general or md.general or ny.general or la.general or miami.general and
someone posts a message to all of those groups -- first of all, neither I
nor a great many other people are ever going to see the message because it
is so crossposted as to get autofiltered out.

Then, if by some chance I see the message, when I reply to it, I am going
to snip out all of those crossposted groups and only post my message to
co.general, because that's the group I read. Then, if someone reading
only ny.general was the one who posted the message I'm replying to, they
aren't going to see my reply. The whole thing is a mess.

And there is more wrong than that, but I'm going to hold off a bit.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Mike Easter Computer Support 5 01-18-2010 09:18 AM
Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins) Tony Computer Support 0 01-17-2010 06:05 PM
Thunderbird .. usenet .. elyob Firefox 1 05-11-2005 06:07 AM
Thunderbird Usenet Question: How can I set the Distribution header on my posted message ? Al Dykes Firefox 2 01-12-2005 08:37 PM
OT: Google's 20 Year Usenet Timeline =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?= MCSE 4 08-27-2003 09:48 PM

Advertisments