Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > OTish: convince the team to drop VBScript

OTish: convince the team to drop VBScript

rdmurray@bitdance.com

"Christian R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The company does use Python on rare occasions. It all comes down to
> the prejudices and habits of one of the programmers. His only argument
> I can't counter -because I don't see the problem- is that "Python
> modules cause problems for updates to customer's installations".

You don't really need arguments so much as you need negotiation, people
management and (ugh) political skills, I think. Your task is to overcome
his prejudices, and you aren't going to do that with arguments, no matter
how good.

IMO the first thing you ought to do is dig in, really listen, and find
out what his issue is with module distribution.

Listening well is your most powerful asset. Overcome your own prejudices
first, and his may follow

--RDM

jkn

[...]
> IMO the first thing you ought to do is dig in, really listen, and find
> out what his issue is with module distribution.
>
> Listening well is your most powerful asset. Overcome your own prejudices
> first, and his may follow

I agree with this. Find out what troubles him ... leave aside for now
whether it's a true, or false, picture of reality as you understand
it.

This then leads to you painting a picture for him:

"So ... if I could demonstrate for you a way in which Python [X Y
Z ...], how would that be for you?"

Keep refining this until his answer (in words or otherwise) is
"Fantastic, great, super!".

Find out what will allow him to buy into it for himself, and then
build/demonstrate that.

HTH
J^n