Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Static Map

Static Map

KMCB

Hello,

I'm interested in creating a static map of a region in the US. This
map would be set into a picture format, so I can add it to a
document. I would like it to contain some town names and road
information. Then I would like to add points, based on LAT and LONG,
that can be labeled with information I provide.

I have done some searching, Google Maps probably will not work because
of the License. WuGeo does not seam to have the details. I was
considering tw.openlayers, but do not know if that is the best
starting point. If I could not create the picture from Python, would
use tw and then create a screen shot to get started.

Does anyone have thoughts on a better approach?

KMCB

Andrew MacIntyre

KMCB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in creating a static map of a region in the US. This
> map would be set into a picture format, so I can add it to a
> document. I would like it to contain some town names and road
> information. Then I would like to add points, based on LAT and LONG,
> that can be labeled with information I provide.
>
> I have done some searching, Google Maps probably will not work because
> of the License. WuGeo does not seam to have the details. I was
> considering tw.openlayers, but do not know if that is the best
> starting point. If I could not create the picture from Python, would
> use tw and then create a screen shot to get started.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts on a better approach?

While web-centric, you might find
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/t...trolofyourmaps
an interesting read.

Andrew I MacIntyre "These thoughts are mine alone..."
E-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
(E-Mail Removed) (alt) | Belconnen ACT 2616
Web: http://www.andymac.org/ | Australia

KMCB

Andrew,

You are correct, that article was very beneficial. It helped me
understand the stack, much better.

Thanks,

kmcb