Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > networking libraries

networking libraries

eminhanif@googlemail.com

hi,
anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
would reccommend?
preferably easy to install on windows..

thanks

Christopher

On Feb 28, 4:53*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> hi,
> anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
> would reccommend?
> preferably easy to install on windows..
>
> thanks

Use winsock
It is already installed.
It was easy to learn for basic use, even for asynchronous or IO-
Completion based networking.

I dont see what advantage any library will make over using the native
API, unless it is tailored for something specific, but you didn't say
what specific needs you had. That isn't an invite, as network
programming is most likely OT here.

Of course a better place to ask would be a newsgroup specific to
windows, network programming, or both.
Such as alt.programming.winsock

Alf P. Steinbach

> hi,
> anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
> would reccommend?
> preferably easy to install on windows..

Recommendation without having used: poco.

Please report experience.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

eminhanif@googlemail.com

> Recommendation without having used: poco.
>
> Please report experience.

thanks, just what i was looking for, the winsock API is a bit bare
for my liking
poco looks great, especially the multi platform support, because i use
ubuntu,vista and tiger os's.

Chris M. Thomasson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
> anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
> would reccommend?
> preferably easy to install on windows..

You can take a look at this one:

http://www.lenholgate.com/archives/000637.html

Chris M. Thomasson

"Chris M. Thomasson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iWkql.71786$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi,
>> anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
>> would reccommend?
>> preferably easy to install on windows..

> You can take a look at this one:
>
> http://www.lenholgate.com/archives/000637.html

OOPS! This NOT portable; sorry about that!

;^(...

jarl.lindrud@gmail.com

On Feb 28, 9:53*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> hi,
> anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
> would reccommend?
> preferably easy to install on windows..
>
> thanks

RCF is good (I'm biased though):

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/thread...c_For_Cpp.aspx

There's a user guide too:

http://deltavsoft.com/RcfUserGuide/

eminhanif@googlemail.com

> Recommendation without having used: poco.
>
> Please report experience.

so far so good, it built very nicely on mac and ubuntu had some linker
errors(my bad)
its a very clean library, with good documentation and caters for all
my needs.

one problem though,it doesn't work with mingw and i'm not
converting to microsofts stuff **shudder**...

AnonMail2005@gmail.com

On Feb 28, 5:53*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> hi,
> anyone got some good networking libraries(not boost.asio) which you
> would reccommend?
> preferably easy to install on windows..
>
> thanks

Try asio which has been accepted into boost. I briefly looked at it
before it became part of boost and it looked good. It is also cross
platform.

HTH

Alf P. Steinbach

* (E-Mail Removed):
>> Recommendation without having used: poco.
>>
>> Please report experience.

> so far so good, it built very nicely on mac and ubuntu had some linker
> errors(my bad)
> its a very clean library, with good documentation and caters for all
> my needs.
>
> one problem though,it doesn't work with mingw

What's the problem with mingw + poco?

> and i'm not
> converting to microsofts stuff **shudder**...

Cheers,

- Alf

--
Due to hosting requirements I need visits to [http://alfps.izfree.com/].
No ads, and there is some C++ stuff! Just going there is good. Linking