Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Dell behaving oddly

Dell behaving oddly

RipperT

I have an old Dell inspiron with XP Pro that my daughter has been using for
some time connected wirelessly to my network via a Belkin wireless router.
Suddenly one day the laptop won't connect my network. I've tried many things
with little success, but here is what it is doing now. After a restart, it
connects automatically and the balloon popup says the signal strength is
excellent. When I open IE, it times out with "Internet Explorer cannot
display the web page". A little red x appears over the network icon in the
tray and IE quits working. A balloon pops up in the tray saying windows
cannot connect to the network and to click here to fix the problem.
Sometimes it can't find any wireless networks, sometimes it can find my
network. I can connect manually or, I've found if I just wait, it will
reconnect on it's own. It remains connected with excellent signal strength
for about 1 minute, then the red x and balloon pop up again. I was able to
ping www.google.com once before it disconnected, but it is stuck in this
cycle of connecting and disconnecting on it's own. I uninstalled Zone Alarm
and behavior is the same. I have all the latest XP updates incl. SP3 and I
have the latest driver for the adapter. I've recycled the power on the modem
and router, still no change. Below is the log file from the windows network
connectivity diagnostic utility. Also, the DHCP client list on the router
page shows the same laptop twice with two different IP addresses and two
different MAC addresses. What gives? Thanx.

Rip

Last diagnostic run time: 02/27/09 17:28:01 Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically
Detect Settings:Enabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy
Bypass list:
info Could not get proxy settings via the Automatic Proxy Configuration
mechanism
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.2.1
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.2.5
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
warn The default gateway address could not be resolved via ARP
action Automated repair: Renew IP address
action Releasing the current IP address...
action Successfully released the current IP address
action Renewing the IP address...
error Error renewing the IP address: The DHCP client has obtained an IP
address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be
disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address.
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
warn There is no default gateway entry
action Automated repair: Reset network connection
action Disabling the network adapter
action Enabling the network adapter
info Network adapter successfully enabled
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
warn There is no default gateway entry
action Manual repair: Reboot modem
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
warn There is no default gateway entry
info Waiting some time for the modem/router to stabilize
action Automated repair: Renew IP address
action Releasing the current IP address...
action Successfully released the current IP address
action Renewing the IP address...
error Error renewing the IP address: The semaphore timeout period has
expired.
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
warn There is no default gateway entry
info Redirecting user to support call

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.5

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

action User input required: Specify network name or SSID
Wireless - First time setup

info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to
connect = Smith Family Network.
Wireless - Radio off

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.5
Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication
test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication
test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback
communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback
communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=3Com 3C920
Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible), MediaType=LAN,
SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 2, Device=Dell
TrueMobile 1150 Series Mini PCI Card, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for
selection
action User input required: Select network connection
info Wireless connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or
address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A
connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection
with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12031 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The connection with
the server was reset
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with
the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with
the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Since trouble starts when you start IE try to repair the Winsock.
Follow this process, http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>

> HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
> HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
>
> warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or
> address could not be resolved
> warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A
> connection with the server could not be established
> warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A
> connection with the server could not be established
> warn HTTP: Error 12031 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The connection with
> the server was reset
> warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with
> the server could not be established
> warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with
> the server could not be established
> error Could not make an HTTP connection.
> error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

I ran the winsock fix and there's no change. Actually, I can manually
connect by entering the passphrase and clicking connect, and it shows
connected with excellent strength for a few minutes (although only one of
the five green bars is lit up), but then it disconnects on it's own without
any help from IE. It behaves as though it's on the edge of it's range, but
it's right on top of the router. I'm thinking the adapter is shot, but I'm
not sure what else to check.

Rip

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>
>> info Network connection status: Connected
>>

>> HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
>> HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
>>
>> warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name
>> or address could not be resolved
>> warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A
>> connection with the server could not be established
>> warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A
>> connection with the server could not be established
>> warn HTTP: Error 12031 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The connection with
>> the server was reset
>> warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection
>> with the server could not be established
>> warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with
>> the server could not be established
>> error Could not make an HTTP connection.
>> error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

It can be the Router, or the Laptop Wireless card. In order to determine
which you have to do few manipulations.
Like taking the laptop elsewhere and see it is works well there, or bringing
in a friend's Laptop that is known to be good and see of it works well with
your Router.
> [...]

>>> info Network connection status: Connected
>>>

>>> HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
>>> HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
>>>
>>> warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name
>>> or address could not be resolved
>>> warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A
>>> connection with the server could not be established
>>> warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A
>>> connection with the server could not be established
>>> warn HTTP: Error 12031 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The connection
>>> with the server was reset
>>> warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection
>>> with the server could not be established
>>> warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection
>>> with the server could not be established
>>> error Could not make an HTTP connection.
>>> error Could not make an HTTPS connection.

I have two other laptops, 1 Vista & 1 XP Pro connected that aren't
experiencing any trouble. Anything else I could check?

Thanks,

Rip

news:Ohf%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> It can be the Router, or the Laptop Wireless card. In order to determine
> which you have to do few manipulations.
> Like taking the laptop elsewhere and see it is works well there, or
> bringing in a friend's Laptop that is known to be good and see of it works
> well with your Router.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I ran the winsock fix and there's no change. Actually, I can manually
>>connect by entering the passphrase and clicking connect, and it shows
>>connected with excellent strength for a few minutes (although only one of
>>the five green bars is lit up), but then it disconnects on it's own
>>without any help from IE. It behaves as though it's on the edge of it's
>>range, but it's right on top of the router. I'm thinking the adapter is
>>shot, but I'm not sure what else to check.
>>
>> Rip
>>

>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> Since trouble starts when you start IE try to repair the Winsock.
>>> Follow this process, http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
>>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>>
>>> "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

RipperT

I stole a Broadcom NIC card out of an old HP Pavilion laptop that was
otherwise dead and installed it, downloaded and installed a Dell driver and
voila! All is well!
Thanks again.
Rip

news:Ohf%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> It can be the Router, or the Laptop Wireless card. In order to determine
> which you have to do few manipulations.
> Like taking the laptop elsewhere and see it is works well there, or
> bringing in a friend's Laptop that is known to be good and see of it works
> well with your Router.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I ran the winsock fix and there's no change. Actually, I can manually
>>connect by entering the passphrase and clicking connect, and it shows
>>connected with excellent strength for a few minutes (although only one of
>>the five green bars is lit up), but then it disconnects on it's own
>>without any help from IE. It behaves as though it's on the edge of it's
>>range, but it's right on top of the router. I'm thinking the adapter is
>>shot, but I'm not sure what else to check.
>>
>> Rip
>>

>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> Since trouble starts when you start IE try to repair the Winsock.
>>> Follow this process, http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
>>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>>
>>> "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Jazzkitty

Did you keep the network card from the hp in the Dell? Just need to know if I
need to replace the network card all together or if you were able to get the
old card to work after the driver download. My daughter's Inspiron has the
same problem now that we've changed to Verizon fios. Thank you much