Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > automatic ad-hoc wireless connection?

automatic ad-hoc wireless connection?

sobriquet

Hello.
Is it possible in xp and vista to create a kind of automatic ad-hoc
network connection between two computers that each have a wireless
adapter (usb) (for internet sharing)?
Some computers are hooked up via a wired network to a modem, but there
is one computer that is not easy to connect via a wire, so I'd like to
connect it via a wireless connection, but preferably in a way that an
ad-hoc network connection doesn't have to be made manually every time
the internet is accessed.
So the computer that is not physically connected to the internet can
easily access the internet via the wireless connection and a shared
internet connection on the other computer.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You mentioned few computers. That might imply that what you have is Router
rather than plain modem.
If you do have a Router you can give that two Wireless card a static IP and
Bridge the Wireless connection.
You do not need to use ICS if you Bridge.
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpbrdge.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello.
> Is it possible in xp and vista to create a kind of automatic ad-hoc
> network connection between two computers that each have a wireless
> adapter (usb) (for internet sharing)?
> Some computers are hooked up via a wired network to a modem, but there
> is one computer that is not easy to connect via a wire, so I'd like to
> connect it via a wireless connection, but preferably in a way that an
> ad-hoc network connection doesn't have to be made manually every time
> the internet is accessed.
> So the computer that is not physically connected to the internet can
> easily access the internet via the wireless connection and a shared
> internet connection on the other computer.

sobriquet

On 28 feb, 02:22, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> You mentioned few computers. That might imply that what you have is Router
> rather than plain modem.
> If you do have a Router you can give that two Wireless card a static IP and
> Bridge the Wireless connection.
> You do not need to use ICS if you Bridge.http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpbrdge.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

It's a somewhat confusing situation. First there is the cablemodem,
which provides the internet connection (PPPoE WAN connection). It goes
to a switch (Sitecom Broadband 4P switch, DC-202 V2). Multiple
computers are hooked up by ethernet cables to that switch and have
access to internet. Some computers run under XP pro, others under
Vista.

What I'm not used to (PPPoE) is the way it is listed in the network
connections.
When I plug-in an ethernet cable (connected to the switch), an
internet connection icon appears among the network connections
('manage network connections' in vista), but there are very few
options and there is no setting to share or bridge that internet
connection.

The computershop advised to buy a wireless router (Linksys Wireless-G,
WRT54GR v.1.1) and a wireless usb adapter.
Simply plugging in the wireless router in the switch doesn't seem to
work (it doesn't allow internet access via the wireless connection).
I've tried configuring the wireless router to ensure it has PPPoE set
as the connection type and specified the username and password, but
that doesn't seem to help.
Also, I can only log on to the wireless router (at 192.168.1.1) to
manage the settings, when I hook it up directly via ethernet to a
computer.
When I try to log on to the wireless router via the sitecom switch, I
somehow can't access it. The sitecom switch seems to use the address
192.168.0.0.
I can't assign any 192.168.0.X address to the wireless router manually
(it won't accept 0 as the third value, only values between 1 and 255).

Perhaps someone knows how to ensure that the current network setup
remains working and what I need to do exactly to ensure that I can
plug in the wireless router in the existing switch with minimal
configuration changes to the wireless router in such a way that
internet can be shared over the wireless network connection?

Is there any site that explains in simple terms various ways to
configure a home network with various routers, switches and modems
(mixed wired and wireless connections), depending on how the router
and switch are connected?

Thx in advance for any suggestions, Niek

> "sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Hello.
> > Is it possible in xp and vista to create a kind of automatic ad-hoc
> > network connection between two computers that each have a wireless
> > adapter (usb) (for internet sharing)?
> > Some computers are hooked up via a wired network to a modem, but there
> > is one computer that is not easy to connect via a wire, so I'd like to
> > connect it via a wireless connection, but preferably in a way that an
> > ad-hoc network connection doesn't have to be made manually every time
> > the internet is accessed.
> > So the computer that is not physically connected to the internet can
> > easily access the internet via the wireless connection and a shared
> > internet connection on the other computer.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Phillip Windell

"sobriquet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 28 feb, 02:22, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi
>> You mentioned few computers. That might imply that what you have is
>> Router
>> rather than plain modem.
>> If you do have a Router you can give that two Wireless card a static IP
>> and
>> Bridge the Wireless connection.
>> You do not need to use ICS if you
>> Bridge.http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art.../wxpbrdge.html
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> It's a somewhat confusing situation. First there is the cablemodem,
> which provides the internet connection (PPPoE WAN connection). It goes
> to a switch (Sitecom Broadband 4P switch, DC-202 V2). Multiple
> computers are hooked up by ethernet cables to that switch and have
> access to internet. Some computers run under XP pro, others under
> Vista.
>
> What I'm not used to (PPPoE) is the way it is listed in the network
> connections.
> When I plug-in an ethernet cable (connected to the switch), an
> internet connection icon appears among the network connections
> ('manage network connections' in vista), but there are very few
> options and there is no setting to share or bridge that internet
> connection.

It is simple,...from the perspective of the PCs plugged into the Switch
there is:

1. No PPPoE
2. No bridging
3. No sharing

....and you don't want there to be.

Only the "router" ever sees or is even aware of the PPPoE

Only the "router" is doing the "connection sharing"

Bridging does not apply, is completely irrelevant, and plays no part in
anything that you are doing.

If you want wireless there are two ways,....which are two entirely different
concepts,...that should not be "blended" together,...do either one,...or the
other.

Choice #1:
Replace the existing "router" with one that is capable of doing wireless
and wired at the same time. That is it,..it is that simple,...sell the old
wired "router" to someone,...it is now useless to you.

Choice #2
Buy a Wireless Access Point (WAP). This is NOT a "router" (even if it
physically looks like one). Plug it into the Switch just as if it was
another PC. Assign it a static IP# on the LAN. The IP# has only *one*
purpose and that is to get into the Web-based Management Interface to
configure the WAP,...the IP# has no other purpose. Configure your wireless
PCs to connect to the WAP. Everything else is automatic from that point.

Particularly if this is a home network,...follow what I said,...keep it
simple,...do not turn the LAN into a Frankenstein Monster.

Ad-Hoc?
I see no point in that nor any need for that at all. There is no point in
even talking about that.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Lem

sobriquet wrote:
> [...]

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>>> Hello.
>>> Is it possible in xp and vista to create a kind of automatic ad-hoc
>>> network connection between two computers that each have a wireless
>>> adapter (usb) (for internet sharing)?
>>> Some computers are hooked up via a wired network to a modem, but there
>>> is one computer that is not easy to connect via a wire, so I'd like to
>>> connect it via a wireless connection, but preferably in a way that an
>>> ad-hoc network connection doesn't have to be made manually every time
>>> the internet is accessed.
>>> So the computer that is not physically connected to the internet can
>>> easily access the internet via the wireless connection and a shared
>>> internet connection on the other computer.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

>> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

The probable reason for your difficulties is that the Sitecom DC-202 is
not just a switch, it's a router. Although you *can* have a successful
network with 2 routers, it's more complicated than necessary, and you
don't need it.

Thus, step 1 is to fully disconnect the Sitecom. Put it away somewhere
for a time when you might need a few more hard-wired network connections.

Step 2 is to connect your "cablemodem" to the "Internet" ("WLAN")
connection of the WRT54GR. Connect one of your computers to the WRT54GR
using an Ethernet cable and configure

(a) the Basic Setup section with your PPPoE username and password and
the "connect on demand" or "keep alive" options if desired (BTW, PPPoE
usually applies to DSL connections, not to cable TV connections; I
assume you were being imprecise when you referred to your modem as a
"cablemodem");

(b) the Wireless section with a unique SSID (not your name or address)
and encryption; choose WPA2(AES)-Personal if all of your other wireless
hardware can support it, otherwise WPA-Personal (your router may have
something called PSK2 which seems to be a Linksys version of WPA2; this
may or may not be compatible with "real" WPA2); you may be able to use
PSK2-mixed if some of your wireless hardware is older; do not use any
"Enterprise" or "RADIUS" version of encryption.

(c) the Administration section and change the password to access the
router's configuration utility. I suggest writing this on a label and
sticking it to the router.

Your Linksys router has 4 LAN ports to which you can connect any of your
computers. Your wireless computers will also connect, but through an
"infrastructure" mode rather than "ad hoc."
--
Lem -- MS-MVP

sobriquet

On 4 mrt, 18:38, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
> [...]

> "cablemodem");
>
> (b) the Wireless section with a unique SSID (not your name or address)
> and encryption; choose WPA2(AES)-Personal if all of your other wireless
> hardware can support it, otherwise WPA-Personal (your router may have
> something called PSK2 which seems to be a Linksys version of WPA2; this
> may or may not be compatible with "real" WPA2); you may be able to use
> PSK2-mixed if some of your wireless hardware is older; do not use any
> "Enterprise" or "RADIUS" version of encryption.
>
> (c) the Administration section and change the password to access the
> router's configuration utility. I suggest writing this on a label and
> sticking it to the router.
>
> Your Linksys router has 4 LAN ports to which you can connect any of your
> computers. Your wireless computers will also connect, but through an
> "infrastructure" mode rather than "ad hoc."

Thx for the tips (everyone participating in this thread).
In addition to these remarks, I'd just like to note that I read in the
installation/configuration information from the internet provider,
that, in order to keep the current setup (that employs the sitecom
router) and add the linksys router, they say that I should first
connect to the linksys router to configure it and turn off DHCP
(configuring other settings like security and PPPoE settings prior to
that), in order to simply use it as a kind of extension of the current
network (plugging in the linksys router in one of the lan sockets of
the sitecom router).
I couldn't find a manual online for the sitecom router, but I did find
one in French for that model but a different version (v4 instead of
v2), so I assume that manual still applies.
I'd like to connect to the sitecom router first (via 192.168.2.1) to
see if there is anything I can infer from the current settings.
I'm not very experienced with these things and this is the first time
I'm attempting to add a wireless network connection to an existing lan
network that involves a PPPoE internet connection, and hence I'm a bit
wary to try and preserve the current network as much as possible, to
ensure that I can always revert to the current situation that appears
to be working properly.
As the saying goes: "if it ain't broken, don't attempt to fix it".

I'm not exactly sure if the sitecom device is a router or switch, but
on the back it says both 'router' and 'switch': "Router - Broadband -
4P Switch 10/100 Mbps".

The linksys device does seem to be a wireless access point (or at
least it is recognized as such by other wireless devices).

Lem

sobriquet wrote:
> [...]

> see if there is anything I can infer from the current settings.
> I'm not very experienced with these things and this is the first time
> I'm attempting to add a wireless network connection to an existing lan
> network that involves a PPPoE internet connection, and hence I'm a bit
> wary to try and preserve the current network as much as possible, to
> ensure that I can always revert to the current situation that appears
> to be working properly.
> As the saying goes: "if it ain't broken, don't attempt to fix it".
>
> I'm not exactly sure if the sitecom device is a router or switch, but
> on the back it says both 'router' and 'switch': "Router - Broadband -
> 4P Switch 10/100 Mbps".
>
> The linksys device does seem to be a wireless access point (or at
> least it is recognized as such by other wireless devices).

Manual for Sitecom DC-202 Broadband xDSL/cable router w/4p Switch:
DC-202http://www.sitecom.com/manuals_result.php?groupid=1&productid=152&version =V2;001

Wireless routers such as the Linksys WRT54G are 3 devices in one box: a
router; a wireless access point; and a 4-port switch. The Sitecom DC-202
is 2 devices in one box: a router and a 4-port switch.

The simplest solution is, as I said initially, to dispense with the
Sitecom and replace it with the Linksys.

If you don't want to do that, you can, indeed, use the Linksys solely as
a wireless access point and 4-port switch by disabling and bypassing its
router. Do this by disabling the DHCP server and by connecting a cable
from one of the ports of the Sitecom router to one of the 4 LAN ports of
the Linksys box. Leave the WAN port of the Linksys box unconnected. You
also should set the *LAN-facing* IP address of the Linksys box to an
address within the subnet (192.168.0.x) used by the Sitecom router but
outside the range of IP addresses supplied by the Sitecom's DHCP server.

See also http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Unless you need 2 extra wired LAN ports, there is no need to do this
*unless* you do not know the details of the PPPoE connection already
configured in the Sitecom. For a typical PPPoE connection, this would be
a username and password. Although the password should be discernible
from the Sitecom's configuration utility, the password may not display
in the clear. If you don't know it, you'll have to get it from your ISP.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

sobriquet

On 6 mrt, 02:23, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
> [...]

> > I'm not very experienced with these things and this is the first time
> > I'm attempting to add a wireless network connection to an existing lan
> > network that involves a PPPoE internet connection, and hence I'm a bit
> > wary to try and preserve the current network as much as possible, to
> > ensure that I can always revert to the current situation that appears
> > to be working properly.
> > As the saying goes: "if it ain't broken, don't attempt to fix it".

> > I'm not exactly sure if the sitecom device is a router or switch, but
> > on the back it says both 'router' and 'switch': "Router - Broadband -
> > 4P Switch 10/100 Mbps".

> > The linksys device does seem to be a wireless access point (or at
> > least it is recognized as such by other wireless devices).

> Manual for Sitecom DC-202 Broadband xDSL/cable router w/4p Switch:

When I go to that location on the web, it says in Dutch
"Unfortunately, no manuals have been found for this product".

I found the French manual here (different version, but same model):

http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-in...DC-202%20V4-_F

sobriquet

On 6 mrt, 08:48, sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6 mrt, 02:23, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
>

> > sobriquet wrote:

> > > Thx for the tips (everyone participating in this thread).
> > > In addition to these remarks, I'd just like to note that I read in the
> > > installation/configuration information from the internet provider,
> > > that, in order to keep the current setup (that employs the sitecom
> > > router) and add the linksys router, they say that I should first
> > > connect to the linksys router to configure it and turn off DHCP
> > > (configuring other settings like security and PPPoE settings prior to
> > > that), in order to simply use it as a kind of extension of the current
> > > network (plugging in the linksys router in one of the lan sockets of
> > > the sitecom router).
> > > I couldn't find a manual online for the sitecom router, but I did find
> > > one in French for that model but a different version (v4 instead of
> > > v2), so I assume that manual still applies.
> > > I'd like to connect to the sitecom router first (via 192.168.2.1) to
> > > see if there is anything I can infer from the current settings.
> > > I'm not very experienced with these things and this is the first time
> > > I'm attempting to add a wireless network connection to an existing lan
> > > network that involves a PPPoE internet connection, and hence I'm a bit
> > > wary to try and preserve the current network as much as possible, to
> > > ensure that I can always revert to the current situation that appears
> > > to be working properly.
> > > As the saying goes: "if it ain't broken, don't attempt to fix it".

> > > I'm not exactly sure if the sitecom device is a router or switch, but
> > > on the back it says both 'router' and 'switch': "Router - Broadband -
> > > 4P Switch 10/100 Mbps".

> > > The linksys device does seem to be a wireless access point (or at
> > > least it is recognized as such by other wireless devices).

> > Manual for Sitecom DC-202 Broadband xDSL/cable router w/4p Switch:
> > DC-202http://www.sitecom.com/manuals_result.php?groupid=1&productid=152&ver...

> When I go to that location on the web, it says in Dutch
> "Unfortunately, no manuals have been found for this product".
>
> I found the French manual here (different version, but same model):
>
> http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-in.../SITECOM/D...- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

I got it working, but my god what a friggin hassle.
Since I didn't have a crosslinked cable to connect both routers, I
simply replaced the sitecom router by the linksys router.
It turned out that I didn't need the PPPoE settings (I could just
leave it on DHCP) in the router.
Still not entirely sure why it took hours of experimenting with the
settings. Perhaps the internet connection was a bit dodgy and I
mistakenly assumed that there was a problem with the settings of the
router.

Lem

sobriquet wrote:
> On 6 mrt, 08:48, sobriquet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Manual for Sitecom DC-202 Broadband xDSL/cable router w/4p Switch:
>>> DC-202http://www.sitecom.com/manuals_result.php?groupid=1&productid=152&ver...

>> When I go to that location on the web, it says in Dutch
>> "Unfortunately, no manuals have been found for this product".
>>
>> I found the French manual here (different version, but same model):
>>
>> http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-in.../SITECOM/D...- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>>
>> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> I got it working, but my god what a friggin hassle.
> Since I didn't have a crosslinked cable to connect both routers, I
> simply replaced the sitecom router by the linksys router.
> It turned out that I didn't need the PPPoE settings (I could just
> leave it on DHCP) in the router.
> Still not entirely sure why it took hours of experimenting with the
> settings. Perhaps the internet connection was a bit dodgy and I
> mistakenly assumed that there was a problem with the settings of the
> router.

I'm glad you got it working.

I suspect that based on your posting IP (which shows as being located in
Utrecht, NL) you are being directed to the Dutch version of the Sitecom
home page. Try selecting UK from the drop down box and you should be
able to find the manual.

The fact that you were able to leave the Linksys router at its default
(DHCP) setting for Internet access makes me think that the your initial
description of the modem used to connect to your ISP was correct: you
probably do have cable rather than DSL. But I have no idea how your
Dutch ISP works.

And you probably don't need a cross-over cable if you eventually want to
use both devices. The Linksys certainly (and the Sitecom probably) has
ports that automatically sense which type of cable is in use and
configure themselves accordingly.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP