Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCITP > Microsoft Server 2008 Questions?

Microsoft Server 2008 Questions?

Spiros

Hi,

I'm considering training towards a Server 2008 Certification but I'm not
sure of my exact plan. My future manager would like to see me with an MSCE
but with the recent changes in certification then this would amount to a MS
ITP: Enterprise Administrator?

If so, what do you think my plan of attach would be? Which exams should I do
and what mile stones should I have in mind?

Should I reach Server Administrator first and then venture on to Enterprise
Administrator?

I have plenty of Windows 2003 experience in dealing with DHCP, DNS, AD
Administration, basic GP's, but I've never really built the environment from
scratch.

What training would you recommend to complement each exam?

Please help a confused pro-Microsoft IT Professional.

Thanks in advance,

Spiros

Pete Jones

It depends on your experience. If you haven't touched 2008 at all, then you
will have to spend a lot of time learning it, specifically the Powershell and
your way around the GUI.

If you have been using 2003 for years, then go with the MCSE exams. You
should be able to get them done with little revision, and you can put
anything you learn into practice on the machines you run. (You would be
suprised how many sites I visit which don't have even Exchange Message
Tracking turned on, because they never knew it was there)

Once you have your MCSE, the upgrade to 2008 is a single exam for the MCTS,
and another for MCITP:Server Administrator. And by the time you are looking
at that, you should be using 2008 at work.

As for Milestones, do the exams in order so that you get your MCSA halfway
through. Whilst most emplyers don't know what it means, it's nice to have it
as a marker for how far you have gotten.

270 or 620
290
291 (Here be beasties)
Elective (most do 284)
MCSA!!
297 or 298 (Testlet format, read up on it)
MCSE!!

--
Pete Jones
MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

"Spiros" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering training towards a Server 2008 Certification but I'm not
> sure of my exact plan. My future manager would like to see me with an MSCE
> but with the recent changes in certification then this would amount to a MS
> ITP: Enterprise Administrator?
>
> If so, what do you think my plan of attach would be? Which exams should I do
> and what mile stones should I have in mind?
>
> Should I reach Server Administrator first and then venture on to Enterprise
> Administrator?
>
> I have plenty of Windows 2003 experience in dealing with DHCP, DNS, AD
> Administration, basic GP's, but I've never really built the environment from
> scratch.
>
> What training would you recommend to complement each exam?
>
> Please help a confused pro-Microsoft IT Professional.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Spiros

Spiros

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your great help in guiding me along my training path!

I've been advised by a training company to do the following courses:-

6421 – Configuring and Troubleshooting a Windows Server 2008 Network
Infrastructure
6424 – Fundamentals of Active Directory
6432 – Managing and Maintaining Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Servers

OR

if I'm capable enough then do the following course to go for the first two
exams in the MCITP:SA Track:-

6416 - Upgrading Active Directory and Network Infrastructure to Windows
Server 2008. (I'm not sure if I'm knowledgable enough to do the course but I
can then work on my short falls after the course.)

This is the basic course outline for preparing for the exams:-

http://www.ddls.com.au/Marketing/MS_...rver-2008.html

What do you think I should do? What courses should I attend to prepare
myself for the SA exam and be able to complete the others successfully?

Thanks for all your help (and to everyone else),

Spiros