Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCITP > 70-643

70-643

Ans Hekerman

I started do work through the book: Configuring Windows Server 2008
Applications Infrastructure (exam 70-643).
In the Introduction one is asked to install Windows Server 2008 3 times as a
virtual machine. It is recommended to use Virtual PC 2007. Because that
doesn't work well on Windows Vista Premium, I use VMware Server. I was
succesfull in installing Windows Server 2008 3 times. But now I have to
install WAIK on Server 1. I downloaded an iso image of WAIK for Windows
Server 2008, put this on a DVD and tried to install it on my Server 1. I see
the iso-file in de CD-drive, but do not know how to install it now on my
Server. I cannot find an action to execute. Does someone know how to do
this? Greets, Ans Hekerman

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Ans Hekerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> I downloaded an iso image of WAIK for Windows Server 2008, put this on a
> DVD and tried to install it on my Server 1. I see the iso-file in de
> CD-drive,

The first requirement of any certification program anywhere is understanding
the basics of PC operation.

Not understanding how to use an ISO file means you're way ahead of yourself
even opening the 70-643 book, IMNSHO.

Might I suggest first working with =client= technologies (XP, 70-270; or
Vista, 70-620),
and basic PC technologies (like burning DVDs and working with ISO files).
(The A+ cert might also be a good place to work for a while.)

And, as for the "How to use an ISO file" instructions...
first place to start is the User's Guide for your DVD writer,
and the tech support section of the manufacturer's website.

But.. as a hint... try the "Burn Image" option of your DVD writer...
merely burning the ISO file to the DVD won't get you anywhere.

Also, since you're into virtual technologies....
Try reading the section of the VMWare User's Guide (or VPC2007 User's Guide)
that talks about "mounting" ISO files.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

David

Instead of burning the ISO image file to a DVD, use the ISO image file to
create a DVD or CD. You will need to use a CD burning utility such as Sonic
or Roxio to complete this. Then you'll be able to run the CD's .exe file.

Good luck!

--
Take care,

David
http://dcraige27.blogspot.com

"Ans Hekerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I started do work through the book: Configuring Windows Server 2008
> Applications Infrastructure (exam 70-643).
> In the Introduction one is asked to install Windows Server 2008 3 times as
> a virtual machine. It is recommended to use Virtual PC 2007. Because that
> doesn't work well on Windows Vista Premium, I use VMware Server. I was
> succesfull in installing Windows Server 2008 3 times. But now I have to
> install WAIK on Server 1. I downloaded an iso image of WAIK for Windows
> Server 2008, put this on a DVD and tried to install it on my Server 1. I
> see the iso-file in de CD-drive, but do not know how to install it now on
> my Server. I cannot find an action to execute. Does someone know how to do
> this? Greets, Ans Hekerman

Ans Hekerman

Thank you Lawrence, for the answer: I know that I may be don not know enough
of all this stuff, but I want to learn now by trial and error: I like it. I
already worked through 70-620-book and also (a few years ago did CompTia A+
hardware and software). I am very interested in the workings of Servers and
try to learn these things without having enough working-experience for this,
but I think I can go on. Now I found out, that I need to use an iso-maker
(found this on internet/Google). I used Active@ ISO Image File Burning
Software to create a DVD. I made the DVD with this software, put it in the
Drive and is works perfect. I like to learn this way, also because it helps
me to keep things in my mind/memory! Thank you, greets, Ans.

"Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ans Hekerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I downloaded an iso image of WAIK for Windows Server 2008, put this on a
>> DVD and tried to install it on my Server 1. I see the iso-file in de
>> CD-drive,

> The first requirement of any certification program anywhere is
> understanding the basics of PC operation.
>
> Not understanding how to use an ISO file means you're way ahead of
> yourself even opening the 70-643 book, IMNSHO.
>
> Might I suggest first working with =client= technologies (XP, 70-270; or
> Vista, 70-620),
> and basic PC technologies (like burning DVDs and working with ISO files).
> (The A+ cert might also be a good place to work for a while.)
>
> And, as for the "How to use an ISO file" instructions...
> first place to start is the User's Guide for your DVD writer,
> and the tech support section of the manufacturer's website.
>
> But.. as a hint... try the "Burn Image" option of your DVD writer...
> merely burning the ISO file to the DVD won't get you anywhere.
>
> Also, since you're into virtual technologies....
> Try reading the section of the VMWare User's Guide (or VPC2007 User's
> Guide)
> that talks about "mounting" ISO files.

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Ans Hekerman

Thank you David,
I used Active@ ISO Image File Burning Software to create a DVD now. I made
the DVD with this software, put it in the Drive and is works perfect. It
makes me glad!!, greets, Ans

"David" <dcraige27**@**verizon**dot**net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Instead of burning the ISO image file to a DVD, use the ISO image file to
> create a DVD or CD. You will need to use a CD burning utility such as
> Sonic or Roxio to complete this. Then you'll be able to run the CD's .exe
> file.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> David
> http://dcraige27.blogspot.com
>
> "Ans Hekerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I started do work through the book: Configuring Windows Server 2008
>> Applications Infrastructure (exam 70-643).
>> In the Introduction one is asked to install Windows Server 2008 3 times
>> as a virtual machine. It is recommended to use Virtual PC 2007. Because
>> that doesn't work well on Windows Vista Premium, I use VMware Server. I
>> was succesfull in installing Windows Server 2008 3 times. But now I have
>> to install WAIK on Server 1. I downloaded an iso image of WAIK for
>> Windows Server 2008, put this on a DVD and tried to install it on my
>> Server 1. I see the iso-file in de CD-drive, but do not know how to
>> install it now on my Server. I cannot find an action to execute. Does
>> someone know how to do this? Greets, Ans Hekerman

IT Geek

For future refference, there should be an option in VMware and VPc2007 to
load from and image, so instead of using the CD/DVD you can just point the
virtual floppy to a location of where you have the image and that should
work also.
I have not tried personally, but should be a good learningexpierence for
you.

"Ans Hekerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you David,
> I used Active@ ISO Image File Burning Software to create a DVD now. I made
> the DVD with this software, put it in the Drive and is works perfect. It
> makes me glad!!, greets, Ans
>
> "David" <dcraige27**@**verizon**dot**net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Instead of burning the ISO image file to a DVD, use the ISO image file to
>> create a DVD or CD. You will need to use a CD burning utility such as
>> Sonic or Roxio to complete this. Then you'll be able to run the CD's
>> .exe file.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> --
>> Take care,
>>
>> David
>> http://dcraige27.blogspot.com
>>
>> "Ans Hekerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I started do work through the book: Configuring Windows Server 2008
>>> Applications Infrastructure (exam 70-643).
>>> In the Introduction one is asked to install Windows Server 2008 3 times
>>> as a virtual machine. It is recommended to use Virtual PC 2007. Because
>>> that doesn't work well on Windows Vista Premium, I use VMware Server. I
>>> was succesfull in installing Windows Server 2008 3 times. But now I have
>>> to install WAIK on Server 1. I downloaded an iso image of WAIK for
>>> Windows Server 2008, put this on a DVD and tried to install it on my
>>> Server 1. I see the iso-file in de CD-drive, but do not know how to
>>> install it now on my Server. I cannot find an action to execute. Does
>>> someone know how to do this? Greets, Ans Hekerman

Ans Hekerman

I saw your response today. Yes I use Virtual PC 2007 now and I have loaded
images by pointing to a location on de virutalHD. Works OK. Thank, you
By the way: with VMware I got troubles when repeating the WDS-exercise
(number 5). I couldn't get it work anymore. So I decided to try Virtual PC
2007 (not officially supported on Vista Home Premium, but it works). I
prefer Virtual PC 2007: more stable and pleasant to work with.
greetyou, Ans

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...