Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCITP > Windows Server 2003 or 2008 Certification??

Windows Server 2003 or 2008 Certification??

Hoolahawk

Hi everyone,

I am looking to undertake certification but I am unsure if it is better to
start doing the Win Server 2003 certification or the Win Server 2008
certification.

Can anyone advise if it is better to start certification for 2003 and then
upgrade to 2008 or to just start at 2008.

I really appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Thank you.

--
Kind Regards

David

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Hoolahawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am looking to undertake certification but I am unsure if it is better to
> start doing the Win Server 2003 certification or the Win Server 2008
> certification.
>
> Can anyone advise if it is better to start certification for 2003 and then
> upgrade to 2008 or to just start at 2008.
>
> I really appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Where does your =EXPERIENCE= exist?

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Hoolahawk

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for your reply.

I have experience using and maintaining Windows 2003 server and SQL server,
I would say that I am intermediate user. Although I have not had experience
setting up a domain or active users directory.

I hope this gives you an indication.

--
Kind Regards

David Kearins

"Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" wrote:

> "Hoolahawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am looking to undertake certification but I am unsure if it is better to
> > start doing the Win Server 2003 certification or the Win Server 2008
> > certification.
> >
> > Can anyone advise if it is better to start certification for 2003 and then
> > upgrade to 2008 or to just start at 2008.
> >
> > I really appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

> Where does your =EXPERIENCE= exist?

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Hoolahawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > I am looking to undertake certification but I am unsure if it is better
>> > start doing the Win Server 2003 certification or the Win Server 2008
>> > certification.
>> >
>> > Can anyone advise if it is better to start certification for 2003 and
>> > then
>> > upgrade to 2008 or to just start at 2008.
>> >
>> > I really appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

>> Where does your =EXPERIENCE= exist?

> I have experience using and maintaining Windows 2003 server and SQL
> server,
> I would say that I am intermediate user. Although I have not had
> experience
> setting up a domain or active users directory.
>
> I hope this gives you an indication.

You should start with what you know == Windows Server 2003.

The purpose of the Microsoft Certifications is to help document actual
experience.

Along the way, the next thing I would think you'd want to do is set up a
training lab and learn how to set up a domain and manage active directory,

You should learn Windows Server 2008 concurrently with learning Active
Directory; in fact, it might even be good to actually learn Active Directory
on a Windows Server 2008 DC.

It really depends on what level of certification for Windows Server 2003 you
desire.

If I were in this position, and considering the primary purpose of
certification to document actual experience, I wouldn't worry about the
MCSE:Windows Server 2003, although the MCSA:Windows Server 2003 might be
within your grasp.

The structure of the certifications have significantly changed (in terms of
required exams) between the two platforms.

For the MCSA:Windows Server 2003, there are two required server exams
(70-290 and 70-291), and the 70-291 is reputed to be one of the most
difficult exams in the collection (usually because applicants are challenged
by DHCP/DNS which is a large part of the exam). You'll also need to complete
the WindowsXP or WindowsVista desktop exams, and then one elective exam.
Depending on how strong your experience with SQL Server might be you could
use either the 70-228 (SQL Server 2000, but this exam expires on 3/31/09) or
the 70-431 (MCTS: SQL Server 2005).

The MSCE requires an additional three exams, of which one required exam is
on Active Directory, and one design exam is on Active Directory or Security.

For the MCITP:Server Administrator (In Windows Server 200, there is no
longer a requirement to take the desktop exam, but there also aren't any
elective exams, and you must know Active Directory for the MCITP
certification.

For more information on certification options, go to
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...fications.mspx

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Hoolahawk

Lawrence,

I was not expecting such a excellent and detailed reply, thank you very much.

I now understand what I have to do and because of your detailed reply I have
put forward a case to my supervisor to undertake some further training.

Again thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

---
Kind Regards

David