Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCITP > BI Bootcamps?

BI Bootcamps?

Tim Brown

I'm a SQL Server DBA/Developer type and would like to break into the BI
track. What kind of experiences have you folks had with the BI Bootcamps
that third-party training outfits offer?
--
Tim Brown
Consultant

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Tim Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm a SQL Server DBA/Developer type and would like to break into the BI
> track. What kind of experiences have you folks had with the BI Bootcamps
> that third-party training outfits offer?

Seriously, Tim, if you're interested in breaking into 'BI', and you have the
DBA/Dev experience, I'd suggest starting by looking for "data warehousing"
applications that are improperly deployed in the Database Engine, and find
ways to re-deploy them in Analysis Services using MDX queries.

Along with that, you'll also want to study the use of SSIS for ETL tasks,
and SSRS for reporting -- but IMO those are the two easy parts of the
process. Grasping SSAS and MDX is what separates those who pass from those
who don't.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com