Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCTS > 70-653 - Study materials question....

70-653 - Study materials question....

Greg Du-feu

Has anybody taken the 70-653 Configuring Small Business Server 2008 Exam? If
so what is it like? Also I usually use the Exam Cram Study books for my
Microsoft exams however I cannot find one for this exam, has anybody used any
they can recommend for this exam?

Regards

Duffman

I have to do this exam before the end of the month and haven't found any
study material either. Currently I'm browsing through the technet pages to
find as much information as possible and running SBS 2008 in a virtual
environment.

regards,

"Greg Du-feu" wrote:

> Has anybody taken the 70-653 Configuring Small Business Server 2008 Exam? If
> so what is it like? Also I usually use the Exam Cram Study books for my
> Microsoft exams however I cannot find one for this exam, has anybody used any
> they can recommend for this exam?
>
> Regards

Montreal_MCT

I took that exam in beta... it is a much better SBS exam than any of its
predecessors. You will have to use the product, read the blog articles
(sbsfaq.com is a great resource) and wait until Charlie's book comes out...
the SBS 2008 Administrator's Companion should be out by now, but it is a
guide to work with the product and not to pass the exam.

Good luck... It's not too tough, as long as you know what you are doing

Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Greg Du-feu" <Greg http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anybody taken the 70-653 Configuring Small Business Server 2008 Exam?
> If
> so what is it like? Also I usually use the Exam Cram Study books for my
> Microsoft exams however I cannot find one for this exam, has anybody used
> any
> they can recommend for this exam?
>
> Regards

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I took that exam in beta... it is a much better SBS exam than any of its
>predecessors.

There were *no* predecessors!

There was an exam (70-282), but it's scope was somewhat broader than just
Small Business Server, and the coverage of SBS in the exam barely scratched
the surface of what would be expected for a product certification. The
70-282 was an expertise certification (SMB Networking), with the presumption
that SBS2003 was/would be deployed in such a scenario.

To my knowledge, there have never been exams on previous versions of SBS.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Montreal_MCT

I stand corrected Lawrence... as I was until lately a Small Business Server
MVP (switched this week to Essential Business Server MVP) and a Subject
Matter Expert on both exams at one point or another, never mind being
recognized around the world as a leading expert on Essential Server
Solutions (SBS & EBS), I felt it adequate to refer to 70-282 as a
predecessor without going into the details.

I could easily describe my anger at that exam when I first took (and
passed) it, then my disappointment with every attempt by Microsoft Learning
to make it better, only to fall short every time.

I could go into details of discussions and hearsay of what should or should
not be (and what is and is not) in that exam, or my disgust at the
debasement it brought to the MCP certification.

I could have mentioned the futility I felt fighting against the current of
those who felt the purpose of that exam was to qualify Registered Partners
for the SBSC program and was more important for small business IT
generalists to pass than actual IT Professionals, or my slight amusement
when I found out that the bare-minimally qualified candidate could pass it,
but MCSEs who did not like to use the wizards were failing it.

Instead I thought I would just refer to the family of exams that were at one
point or another given the number 70-282 as predecessors to 70-652.

I hope you don't mind

--
Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I took that exam in beta... it is a much better SBS exam than any of its
>>predecessors.

> There were *no* predecessors!
>
> There was an exam (70-282), but it's scope was somewhat broader than just
> Small Business Server, and the coverage of SBS in the exam barely
> scratched the surface of what would be expected for a product
> certification. The 70-282 was an expertise certification (SMB Networking),
> with the presumption that SBS2003 was/would be deployed in such a
> scenario.
>
> To my knowledge, there have never been exams on previous versions of SBS.

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<exceptionally valid rant against 70-282 deleted>

I feel your pain, on all of the points mentioned.

> Instead I thought I would just refer to the family of exams that were at
> one point or another given the number 70-282 as predecessors to 70-652.
>
> I hope you don't mind

Not at all.

The point of my post was to rant against the useless thing, myself.

Perhaps my rant was a bit too subtle?

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Montreal_MCT

Hehe... as I explained off-list I had an interesting meeting this morning

Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> <exceptionally valid rant against 70-282 deleted>
>
> I feel your pain, on all of the points mentioned.
>
>> Instead I thought I would just refer to the family of exams that were at
>> one point or another given the number 70-282 as predecessors to 70-652.
>>
>> I hope you don't mind

> Not at all.
>
> The point of my post was to rant against the useless thing, myself.
>
> Perhaps my rant was a bit too subtle?

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Garth

Do tell.. I haven't hear this story yet.

and when at you going to change your title to MCT_in_TO? <Evil Grin>

"Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hehe... as I explained off-list I had an interesting meeting this morning

> Mitch Garvis
> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
> http://garvis.ca/blogs
>
> "Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <exceptionally valid rant against 70-282 deleted>
>>
>> I feel your pain, on all of the points mentioned.
>>
>>> Instead I thought I would just refer to the family of exams that were at
>>> one point or another given the number 70-282 as predecessors to 70-652.
>>>
>>> I hope you don't mind

>> Not at all.
>>
>> The point of my post was to rant against the useless thing, myself.
>>
>> Perhaps my rant was a bit too subtle?
>>
>> --
>> Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
>> Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
>> Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
>>
>> MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
>> My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
>> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
>> My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pro...awrence.Garvin

Montreal_MCT

Garth, let's have that conversation off-line... and I have been Montreal_MCT
since the day I became a Microsoft Certified Trainer, and for three years
prior to that I was Montreal_MCSA. I am not changing it again anytime soon.

Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Garth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do tell.. I haven't hear this story yet.
>
> and when at you going to change your title to MCT_in_TO? <Evil Grin>
>

> "Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hehe... as I explained off-list I had an interesting meeting this morning

>> --
>> Mitch Garvis
>> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
>> http://garvis.ca/blogs
>>
>> "Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> <exceptionally valid rant against 70-282 deleted>
>>>
>>> I feel your pain, on all of the points mentioned.

>>> Not at all.
>>>
>>> The point of my post was to rant against the useless thing, myself.
>>>
>>> Perhaps my rant was a bit too subtle?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
>>> Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
>>> Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
>>>
>>> MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
>>> My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
>>> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
>>> My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pro...awrence.Garvin

BobY

I took the test last week, missed it by 2 questions. There are really no
books or study guides available, if you are an MCT you can download course
6445 which will help you prepare. Otherwise go to www.msmbnation.com, they
have a book that you can purchase.