Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCTS > Product of Visual Studio 2008 needed for 70-536, 70-562 and 70-564

Product of Visual Studio 2008 needed for 70-536, 70-562 and 70-564

Benjamin Rogers

I want to study 70-536, 70-562 and 70-564. I was planning to setup a desktop
at home with Visual Studio 2008 so I can try out all the lessons in these
subjects. My question is, will the Standard Edition suffice for this or do I
need the Professional Edition?

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Benjamin Rogers" <Benjamin http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to study 70-536, 70-562 and 70-564. I was planning to setup a
>desktop
> at home with Visual Studio 2008 so I can try out all the lessons in these
> subjects. My question is, will the Standard Edition suffice for this or do
> need the Professional Edition?

The key to this question goes to a few basic points.

One, the exams...

Candidates for this exam use Microsoft Visual Studio in a team-based,
medium-sized to large development environment.

Two, a "team-based, medium-sized to large development environment"...

This doesn't mean you have to have actual experience in this environment,
but it means that the exam questions have been written with the presumption
that the candidate does. This, then, implies not only Visual Studio
Professional Edition, but possibly some experience with Team Edition for
Developers.

As for the Std Ed vs Pro Ed question -- there's very little difference in
those two products.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/vs20.../cc149003.aspx

The most significant being the additional debugging facilities included in
Pro Ed, that are not in the Std Ed, but since you're focusing on ASP.NET
development topics, this is likely less of a real issue (than it might be
for WinApps or EnterpriseApps).

Ultimately, what you require to "try out all the lessons" will be stated in
whatever training materials you're using. If the Training Guide says you can
use Std Edition, then you can use it. If the Training Guide says you need
Professional Edition, then that's what you'll need.

But, given that Microsoft offers a 90-day trial edition of Visual Studio
Professional Edition,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vs20.../cc268305.aspx
I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't use Professional Edition for
your training!

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com