Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCTS > why are we still putting up with Prometric test crashes?

why are we still putting up with Prometric test crashes?

Oliver

notice: cross-posted on purpose
!! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem

Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
Prometric as to the status of my test.

A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.

That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).

From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
motivation to improve.

The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

Matthew Whetzel

Speaking of Prometrics crap and all... thier scheduling stinks. I can find
openings for 4 hour long exams all over the place, but not a single opening
for a 2 hour one in a 3 state radius!
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Jun 24, 3:04 pm, Oliver <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> notice: cross-posted on purpose
> !! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
> raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem
>
> Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
> central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
> application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
> PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
> the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
> completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
> Prometric as to the status of my test.
>
> A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
> a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
> second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.
>
> That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
> exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
> they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
> that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
> haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).
>
> From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
> Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
> Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
> the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
> get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
> motivation to improve.
>
> The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
> community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

I've been on the phone with Prometric this morning, and they know that
this exam is a big problem. Funny thing is, it's been a problem for
about a year. How long does it really need to take to fix this one
exam?

Marc

"Oliver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
> the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
> completely and irrevocably.

OMG! And that after preparing the test for, how long? That must have been
frustrating for you! My sympathy!

Oliver

On Jun 25, 10:22 am, "Marc" <m,(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Oliver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
> > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
> > completely and irrevocably.

> OMG! And that after preparing the test for, how long? That must have been
> frustrating for you! My sympathy!

Thanks. The fellow who tried to take the test right after me also
experienced a complete crash of the Prometric testing application.

While it is indeed frustrating to study so much, and then to have to
trying to answer difficult questions.

That's why it seems to me that all IT professionals need to simply
stop taking certs for a couple of months, until Prometric resolves
this issue. I don't want to put an economic hurt on Prometric, but
since they've already let this problem go for about a year, what other
choice is there?

Down with certs until 70-431 is fixed!

And Microsoft, how about bringing Pearson VUE back? Nothing like a
little competition to keep things good for all concerned.

texoma

Well folks welcome to the prometric crash site. Today tried to take a server
test, guess what none of the simulations worked site tried to restart,
nothing worked. Lets work to bring back VUE.

"Matthew Whetzel" wrote:

> Speaking of Prometrics crap and all... thier scheduling stinks. I can find
> openings for 4 hour long exams all over the place, but not a single opening
> for a 2 hour one in a 3 state radius!
> "Oliver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > notice: cross-posted on purpose
> > !! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
> > raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem
> >
> > Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
> > central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
> > application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
> > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
> > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
> > completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
> > Prometric as to the status of my test.
> >
> > A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
> > a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
> > second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.
> >
> > That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
> > exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
> > they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
> > that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
> > haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).
> >
> > From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
> > Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
> > Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
> > the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
> > get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
> > motivation to improve.
> >
> > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
> > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

Slammer

I totally agree there is a serious problem with the testing system.
I tried to write my exam (70-290) last week Thursday. First of all I had to
wait 2 hours before I was able to start. Then after answering all the
multiple choice questions, I wanted to start with the simulation questions
just to find out they were not working. Eventually the testing station called
the helpdesk at Prometric - they ended my session, instead of trying to fix
it and they lost my paper.
I was then told I had to rewrite it. I was not impressed at all. I insisted
I wanted to rewrite it that afternoon only to be told it is against the
rules. Pathetic.
Then I was assured by prometric that I can rewrite it at 10am the next
morning.
Nowhere during the conversation with prometric did they apologize for the
inconvenience and admit there was a problem with their system. The next day,
I arrive at the testing station at 9h30. there was a problem with their
system again. After waiting patiently and totally cheesed off, I only started
the exam 4 hours later. Other candidates that were waiting to write postponed
their exam to another date.
I think there is a serious problem in general with ALL exams being written
from prometric and I hope they fix it soon. I cannot believe that Microsoft
is keeping quiet or using them as the provider. It is totally unacceptable.
I had to waste 2 days for a 2 hour or so exam paper.
I hope my experience with the next paper will not be the same.

"Oliver" wrote:

> On Jun 24, 3:04 pm, Oliver <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > notice: cross-posted on purpose
> > !! please support me on this, fellow IT professionals .. if we don't
> > raise a ruckus, MS/Prometric will never fix the problem
> >
> > Today I tried to take the 70-431 at a proctoring facility in north-
> > central Indiana. When I pressed the button to start the test, the
> > application crashed. The test facility staff moved my test to another
> > PC, where I was able to make it through about two dozen questions on
> > the multiple-choice portion when - you guessed it - the test crashed
> > completely and irrevocably. Still no word from them nor from
> > Prometric as to the status of my test.
> >
> > A similar crash occurred at the same facility about two weeks ago when
> > a co-worker was taking the test. He got almost to the end of the
> > second portion (simulation exercises) when it crashed.
> >
> > That facility claims that in five tests given for 70-431, they've had
> > exactly two crashes, and that those are the only two complete crashes
> > they've ever had. The facility went on to blame Prometric, claiming
> > that since Microsoft switched to all-Prometric tests, things just
> > haven't been the same (supposedly Pearson VUE was/is much better).
> >
> > From surfing around it seems that many folks are having problems with
> > Prometric, although this testing facility is definitely the pits.
> > Testing facilities are subject to market forces, but if Prometric is
> > the only certified proctor for Microsoft, then the problem will never
> > get fixed on its own. Monopolies, de facto or otherwise, have zero
> > motivation to improve.
> >
> > The only way this will get fixed is if the entire world-wide IT
> > community quits taking these tests until MS/Prometric fix them.

> I've been on the phone with Prometric this morning, and they know that
> this exam is a big problem. Funny thing is, it's been a problem for
> about a year. How long does it really need to take to fix this one
> exam?

rafi

I have taken the 70-294 twice in the last month. Both times, the simulations
were not working, and I failed. The test center said that it's a "known
problem" and that it's been happening "randomly". When I contacted Prometric,
they said they didn't know anything about it, and that they could reschedule
my exam or give me a refund. WTF? This is getting old....