Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCTS > MS Press 70-236 - Reapply SPs?

MS Press 70-236 - Reapply SPs?

Tim

I keep coming across this in the MS Press Training book for MCTS 70-236
Exchange 2007 Configuration, and it's bugging me. The author(s) keeps saying
that you must reapply a service pack after adding Windows components such as
IIS, networking services, etc. in Server 2003, unless you used slipstreamed
media to install of course. I have always thought that was only back in the
NT4 days? Through my travels/learning and talking with other people I thought
this annoyance was solved in Windows 2000 and newer, so quite a long time
ago. Is it true, or dependent on how you installed the SP? Generally I
install the OS, then use a network install file to apply the SP, deleting it
after I'm done since I assume it's no longer needed.

If it's true it worries me that I've been doing it wrong for so long, and if
it's not true it really worries me that an official MS book would be printing
this. I have been doing some web searches but I see no other mention of
reapplying service packs past NT4 anywhere. In fact I found a MS KB saying
otherwise even for Win2000 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274215. But I'm
not sure that clarifies it either... Say I install Server 2003, then use the
SP2 file to apply the SP. If I install IIS afterwards and it asks me for the
disc, I'll put in the original disc (or point it at i386 copied from the
original disc), and assume it grabs any updated cabs from the SP it needs
from the driver cache folder as well. Is this not correct?

Lawrence Garvin

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I keep coming across this in the MS Press Training book for MCTS 70-236
> Exchange 2007 Configuration, and it's bugging me. The author(s) keeps
> saying
> that you must reapply a service pack after adding Windows components such
> as
> IIS, networking services, etc. in Server 2003, unless you used
> slipstreamed
> media to install of course. I have always thought that was only back in
> the
> NT4 days?

You're absolutely right. That's not been a true statement since the days of
Windows =NT=!!!

(has somebody been updating their Exchange books by copying text from
the previous versions???)

Exchange 2000 on Windows NT, would certainly have been a subject of this
concern; but Exchange 2003 won't run on Windows NT, so that statement is at
least "two versions of Exchange" old.

Windows 2000 introduced technology that makes "reapplying" the service pack
unnecessary (unless you've mucked with the hidden folders in %windir% that
support this feature). The feature continued in Windows XP/2003 and in
Vista.

> Say I install Server 2003, then use the
> SP2 file to apply the SP. If I install IIS afterwards and it asks me for
> the
> disc, I'll put in the original disc (or point it at i386 copied from the
> original disc), and assume it grabs any updated cabs from the SP it needs
> from the driver cache folder as well. Is this not correct?

Actually... if you install the RTM version, then apply the SP, then install
a core component, the installer will actually ask you for the "service pack"
CDROM.. not the RTM CDROM -- and it would only do this if it couldn't find
the files needed already in the Service Pack cache in the %windir% folder.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Tim

Thanks Lawrence, glad to know I'm not going crazy. But this leaves me very
disappointed in MS Press. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the
amount of errors, misspellings, etc. I see in their books, the editing there
seems to be lackluster at best.

"Lawrence Garvin" wrote:

> "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I keep coming across this in the MS Press Training book for MCTS 70-236
> > Exchange 2007 Configuration, and it's bugging me. The author(s) keeps
> > saying
> > that you must reapply a service pack after adding Windows components such
> > as
> > IIS, networking services, etc. in Server 2003, unless you used
> > slipstreamed
> > media to install of course. I have always thought that was only back in
> > the
> > NT4 days?

> You're absolutely right. That's not been a true statement since the days of
> Windows =NT=!!!
>
> (has somebody been updating their Exchange books by copying text from
> the previous versions???)
>
> Exchange 2000 on Windows NT, would certainly have been a subject of this
> concern; but Exchange 2003 won't run on Windows NT, so that statement is at
> least "two versions of Exchange" old.
>
> Windows 2000 introduced technology that makes "reapplying" the service pack
> unnecessary (unless you've mucked with the hidden folders in %windir% that
> support this feature). The feature continued in Windows XP/2003 and in
> Vista.
>
> > Say I install Server 2003, then use the
> > SP2 file to apply the SP. If I install IIS afterwards and it asks me for
> > the
> > disc, I'll put in the original disc (or point it at i386 copied from the
> > original disc), and assume it grabs any updated cabs from the SP it needs
> > from the driver cache folder as well. Is this not correct?

> Actually... if you install the RTM version, then apply the SP, then install
> a core component, the installer will actually ask you for the "service pack"
> CDROM.. not the RTM CDROM -- and it would only do this if it couldn't find
> the files needed already in the Service Pack cache in the %windir% folder.
>

> --
> Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP
> Senior Data Architect, APQC, Houston, Texas
> Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Lawrence Garvin

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Lawrence, glad to know I'm not going crazy. But this leaves me very
> disappointed in MS Press.

Don't blame the publisher for this snafu..

Note the name of the Technical Editor (who most certainly should have caught
this ancient inaccuracy),
as well as the Author.

Then write an email to mspress and advise them that you'll not likely
purchase anymore books written by <author>
or edited by <technical editor>.

Oh.. in all fairness.. you should first check the errata page for the
book...
but this 'error' shouldn't have made it past the first edit.

> I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the
> amount of errors, misspellings, etc. I see in their books, the editing
> there
> seems to be lackluster at best.

Sometimes it is......

Technical editing is a human/contractor relationship, and good Technical
Editors are hard to come by.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Michael Gossett

When you upgraded from SP1 to SP2 there were some bugs and it killed some
stuff out of Add/Remove Windows Components. If you google you might find it.
We had this problem at 20~ clients when we rolled out SP2.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...