Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCTS > How to Prepare for 70-536

How to Prepare for 70-536

Varun

Hi All

I am Varun from India. Recently I have planned for MCTS Web developer path.
I would like to know that whether self paced book from microsoft is
sufficeint for taking the exam??

I dont have much resources for preparation apart from that book.

Thanks
Varun

Aotearoa

Hello Varun,

The book is not enough by itself but if you also work on the subjects
covered using MSDN or any other free resources you can have access too it
will be sufficient.
Be aware thought that the level of abstraction of the exam is different from
the one you have in the book, so when using the kit to do practice test, be
sure you achieve the highest score possible.

lisha

On May 6, 9:47 pm, Varun <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am Varun from India. Recently I have planned for MCTS Web developer path.
> I would like to know that whether self paced book from microsoft is
> sufficeint for taking the exam??
>
> I dont have much resources for preparation apart from that book.
>
> Thanks
> Varun

Hi Varun
Did you find much information about the exam..am also..planning to
give the exam but could not find..much..don't know if taking some
class woud help

Ashwin

I'm taking the test on Friday - so this comes from someone who's not
appeared; take it for what it's worth....

Here's what I've done. I was told what Aotearoa said below, so I studied
from the book until I felt I knew the material sufficiently. Then I went
through the list of exam requirements on MSDN, and made a list of everything
that the book did not cover. I used the resources on MSDN as suggested below
- the material on MSDN is good in some cases - esp where overviews of things
are concerned. In some cases, I found the material to be lacking even there
(one example is NativeOverlapped, another is PermissionRequestEvidence, there
are quite of few of these). In some of these situations, I found web sites
that show examples.

I also learned from asking various people who've taken the test, that test
preparation software such as MeasureUp and Transcender was helpful. I chose
Transcender because I was told that there is no time limit for the license
and one can install it on multiple machines. Can't be 100% sure of this about
whether MeasureUp's license expires or not, but in any case, I went with
Transcender (incidentally, note that the tests in the book are "powered by
MeasureUp"). I can tell you that it has definitely helped me by a mile. I
feel that the tests that come with the book are far, far simpler than the
tests that are on Transcender. Also, the latter pointed me to parts of MSDN
that I had not seen before.

My confidence level is definitely higher by using MSDN and Transcender. I
would definitely not go only with the book - I have compiled material around
90 pages in length above and beyond that book using these two sources and the
web.

Hope this helps,

Ashwin