Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCTS > Re: OT: TechNet Article

Re: OT: TechNet Article

Dustin Harper

Yes, you are right. We should educate the users to help them help
themselves. Great point.

And with Vista, the newsgroups are built in to Windows Mail. Easy to find
and use (for the most part). A lot of users are mistakingly thinking that
they are asking Microsoft employees or think that it's a direct line to
Microsoft, which it's not.

I try to help fix the problem, most of them are easy enough. I may be wrong
with most, and I know I have been at least a couple times, assuming that a
user has gone through the regular channels (reboot, unplug USB hardware,
plug it back in, etc.). Google is a great resource, but with Vista, a lot of
people are having fresh problems that haven't been seen before. Or they know
the problem, but don't know how to word it right in a search...

On a sidenote: when I was doing tech support, I spent about 20 minutes
trying to get some ladies DSL working... Turns out she called the phone
company to have it turned off... Weird thing: she still said it was our
fault for her DSL still not working... I'm starting to learn not to assume
things!

--
Dustin Harper
http://www.vistarip.com

--
"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uQ%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ray and Dustin:
> Both of you made very good and valid points. Error messages and other
> computer related issues can be ambiguous at best to the casual end
> users -- and seasoned techs for that matter. However have you thought
> about how those casual end users find these newsgroups to begin with? A
> majority of issues presented in the newsgroups can be solved by viewing
> the top 10 results after "Googling" the problem. The effort it takes to
> find the newsgroup, word and post the question could be as "easy" as
> performing a quick search on your problem. To further my point; perform a
> search in the newsgroups for related or similar problems that others have
> experienced. But again that requires effort, not answers right?!?
> Do not misunderstand; I have been instructing, educating, and helping end
> users for 13 years. And I enjoy doing so. I educate my end users and the
> people that ask for help by asking them to, "help me help you." Instead of
> says, "It's broke... HELP!" or "It's not working correctly"; I ask them to
> show or tell me what not working looks like. I believe in education. And
> by educating the end user to "make an effort", I believe they can solve
> their problems with little or no effort.
>
> --
>
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>
> The Classroom Blog
>
> CertGuard Member
> The Stronghold for Excellence in I.T. Certification
> www.CertGuard.com
>

> "ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:10:33 +0000, Michael D. Alligood wrote:
>>
>> > I was reading the latest edition of TechNet Magazine that I received in
>> > the mail this week; when I came across an article that inadvertently
>> > associated itself with one of the issues that we run across in
>> > newsgroups consistently. This problem can be described in so many
>> > different ways by religious newsgroup participates like myself. What it
>> > boils down to is the very thing we preach day in and day out: Research
>> > and Hands-on Experience. It also touches on abandoning your
>> > preconceptions when comparing older technology to newer technology.
>> >

>> > You can find the article at:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...s/default.aspx.
>> > Enjoy.
>> >

>> > P.S. I also included this article with the Vista and XP newsgroups in
>> > hopes that individuals seeking help in those areas will read Mark's
>> > article and perform research and troubleshooting steps before posting
>> > their issues in newsgroups for others to "give them the answer."

>> That's fine, but a casual user should not have to "perform research and
>> troubleshooting steps before posting their issues in newsgroups".
>>

>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> >
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> >
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,

> [...]

Re: OT: TechNet Article Dustin Harper Microsoft Certification 0 03-31-2007 07:01 PM
Re: OT: TechNet Article Dustin Harper MCSE 0 03-31-2007 07:01 PM
Re: TechNet Article Kerry Brown Microsoft Certification 1 03-31-2007 06:56 PM
Re: TechNet Article Kerry Brown MCSE 1 03-31-2007 06:56 PM
FYI: April 2006 TechNet Cable Guy article on wireless connections in Windows Vista published Joseph Davies [MSFT] Wireless Networking 0 04-17-2006 09:01 PM

Advertisments