Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bios info - where is it?

Bios info - where is it?

Brian Smith

Silly question...where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...I'd like
to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be able to
compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers web.

Iapetus

Brian Smith wrote:
> Silly question...

It is.

> where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...

What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

> I'd like
> to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be able to
> compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers web.

If it is different why would you need to update it? If it's not done
properly, and by the sound of it you're not that computer literate,
you'll end up with a very big paperweight.

Brian Smith

"Iapetus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:go8tks$4um$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brian Smith wrote:
>> Silly question...

> It is.

Cheers

>> where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...

> What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

XP

>> I'd like to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be
>> able to compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers
>> web.

> If it is different why would you need to update it?

Cos I have a prob at the mo and the latest update might sort it.

>If it's not done properly, and by the sound of it you're not that computer
>literate,

That's right.

> you'll end up with a very big paperweight.

After the further advice you may provide hopefully not

======

Iapetus

Brian Smith wrote:
> "Iapetus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:go8tks$4um$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Brian Smith wrote:
>>> Silly question...

>> It is.

> Cheers
>>> where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...

>> What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

> XP

That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

Desk Rabbit

Brian Smith wrote:
> "Iapetus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:go8tks$4um$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Brian Smith wrote:
>>> Silly question...

>> It is.

> Cheers
>>> where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...

>> What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

> XP

ROFL!!!!!!

Thanks that was soooooo funny!

>>> I'd like to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be
>>> able to compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers
>>> web.

>> If it is different why would you need to update it?

> Cos I have a prob at the mo and the latest update might sort it.

God forbid you might tell us what the problem is so that we might be
able to help you!

>> If it's not done properly, and by the sound of it you're not that computer
>> literate,

> That's right.

Can't argue with that.

>> you'll end up with a very big paperweight.

> After the further advice you may provide hopefully not

You'll have to volunteer a bit more information. Lets start with:-

Make and model of computer hardware:

Full operating system version and service packs applied:

Detailed description of the problem:

Detailed description of what you have tried so far:

Brian Smith

"Iapetus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:go8ud8$5g5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brian Smith wrote:
>> "Iapetus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:go8tks$4um$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It is.

>> Cheers
>>> What PC? Are we supposed to be able to see it from here?

>> XP
>>

> That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

============
pc is a mongrel....Gigabyte motherboard

Brian Smith

"Van Chocstraw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Brian Smith wrote:
>> Silly question...where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...I'd
>> like to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be able
>> to compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers web.

> Get BIOS Agent 3.61 from Download.com. Do you ever Google anything?
>

> --
> <<//--------------------\\>>
> Van Chocstraw
> >>\\--------------------//<<

=============
TVM

Mike Easter

Brian Smith wrote:
> where to find the current BIOS info from my pc?...I'd
> like to find the name, reference or whatever, and date...and then be
> able to compare with the latest available on the motherboard suppliers
> web.

Your question as you have stated it implies that you would be inclined to
update your BIOS if there were a later version for your mobo -- and the
absence of additional background information implies that you might not be
having any kind of problem that would indicate that you *should* update
your BIOS.

Thus, the overall 'theme' (of what you've said) here is that you are
thinking about doing something which you shouldn't be doing.

BIOS agent is an efficient way to get info on your bios and its
upgradability, but you probably shouldn't be using the information unless
you have a genuine and specific problem which is specifically addressed by
the upgrade, which is generally unlikely.

You /should/ know a lot about your computer's hardware; and you can get
that kind of information from software such as Belarc Advisor, Everest, &
SIW.

A feature of bios agent is that it doesn't need to be installed.

--
Mike Easter

Aardvark

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:56:31 +0000, Brian Smith wrote:

> "Iapetus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:go8ud8$5g5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Brian Smith wrote:
>>> "Iapetus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:go8tks$4um$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> XP
>>>

>> That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

> ============
> pc is a mongrel....Gigabyte motherboard

Got a real aversion to giving relevant details, don't you?

Iapetus

Brian Smith wrote:
> "Iapetus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:go8ud8$5g5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Brian Smith wrote:
>>> "Iapetus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:go8tks$4um$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Cheers
>>> XP
>>>

>> That's the Operating System, not the make of your PC/motherboard..!

> pc is a mongrel....Gigabyte motherboard

Read this page before you think about doing anything, it's complicated
for the uninitiated.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

But I would STRONGLY recommend you hold off the update until you try
other things to sort your problem out, BIOS updates are usually a last
resort.

Post what problems you are having and it could be sorted without a flash.