Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > What's the most powerful html editor for web developer.

What's the most powerful html editor for web developer.

Hongyi Zhao

Hi all,

AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
and recommend us the most powerful of them?

--
..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.

rf

Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
> for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
> comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
> and recommend us the most powerful of them?

That would be a lot of work

richard

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:47:00 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
>for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
>comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
>and recommend us the most powerful of them?

Notepad.
It never tells you you can't do this or that.

Raymond Schmit

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:45:14 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:47:00 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
>>for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
>>comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
>>and recommend us the most powerful of them?

>Notepad.
>It never tells you you can't do this or that.

For me, it's Notepad++ because he is able to do a replace string on a
group of files. Pretty usefull when you want a same change on all
pages of your website. (Anyway, i used more often PFE)

Joy Beeson

PC-Write.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Ari Heino

wayne kirjoitti seuraavasti:
> gedit color formats your text when a file has an
> html extension.

Which every reasonable text editor does. For zillion of languages.
Clip libraries are handy. You can download them to TextPad at least. You
can double click a text clip from the library and it will paste into
your code. Css clip libraries with all possible attributes are
especially nice.

--
Ari
http://users.utu.fi/athein/

Peter Anderson

Ari Heino wrote:
> wayne kirjoitti seuraavasti:
>> gedit color formats your text when a file has an html extension.

> Which every reasonable text editor does. For zillion of languages.
> Clip libraries are handy. You can download them to TextPad at least. You
> can double click a text clip from the library and it will paste into
> your code. Css clip libraries with all possible attributes are
> especially nice.

TextPad and EditPlus ( http://www.editplus.com/index.html ) are very
similar; both have a great feature called Clip Libraries (EditPlus
terminology) that work much the same way and are equally easy to create.

Clip Libraries are composed of clips of text that appear in a panel to
the left of the main editor window. Clips can be for any purpose you
choose; I have one called "normal.html" which is a pun on Microsoft
Word's "normal.doc" and which I use for all my word processing needs (I
create HTML documents rather than proprietary file formats). The
following is an excerpt from "normal.html":

#T=Non-breaking space
&nbsp;
#T=… Ellipses
&hellip;
#T=Comment
<!-- ^! -->
#T=Paragraph
#T=Line break
#T=Heading 1
<h1>^!</h1>
#T=Horizontal Rule
<hr>
#T=Page break (before)
style="page-break-before: always;"
#T=Ordered list
<ol>
<li>^!</li>
<li></li>
</ol>

#T= is a clip heading; double clicking on a clip heading inserts the
following text into the editor window at the current cursor position.

^! is the cursor position AFTER the clip has been inserted.

Clip Libraries make HTML and CSS coding very productive. I also use
Clip Libraries for Python, PHP and ooRexx coding.

These are VERY GOOD text editors (but they are not free).

Regards,
Peter
--
*Peter Anderson*
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to

richard

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:31:09 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Raymond
Schmit) wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:45:14 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:47:00 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
>>>for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
>>>comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
>>>and recommend us the most powerful of them?

>>Notepad.
>>It never tells you you can't do this or that.

>For me, it's Notepad++ because he is able to do a replace string on a
>group of files. Pretty usefull when you want a same change on all
>pages of your website. (Anyway, i used more often PFE)

Notetab can do the same thing.

Nik Coughlin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:31:09 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Raymond
> Schmit) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:45:14 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>>>Notepad.
>>>It never tells you you can't do this or that.

>>For me, it's Notepad++ because he is able to do a replace string on a
>>group of files. Pretty usefull when you want a same change on all
>>pages of your website. (Anyway, i used more often PFE)

> Notetab can do the same thing.

But Notepad++ is just so much nicer to use

David Segall

Hongyi Zhao <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
>for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
>comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
>and recommend us the most powerful of them?

No one can do that. First there is a problem with defining an HTML
editor. There are contributors to this group who believe that any text
editor is an HTML editor.

Others, like me, believe that an HTML editor should "understand" HTML
and CSS and present different views of a page on demand. That is, they
should allow you to alter the code in the code view, add or change
visual elements in the WYSIWYG view and add or change properties in
the CSS view.

Between those are the editors that can just colour code the source or
guess what elements you might want next and provide an explanation of
what the element does.

Even if you manage to define an "HTML editor" no one can use the
latest version of all the qualified candidates in order to provide you
with the "most powerful". I have often thought that a suitably
structured Wiki that includes a comparative list of features would a
valuable tool.

Oh, and the answer to your underlying question is Dreamweaver