Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for gear to connect digital coaxial to USB

Looking for gear to connect digital coaxial to USB

The Stone Crusher

I have an old Roland VS-880 which does not have an optical output, but it
does have a coxial digital output. I am trying to send the digital
recordings to my computer in digital format. Roland does not have any
equipment that can do that. Seems simple? Probably obscure.
Please help; point me to the equipment that can do this. I have already
spent hours on internet looking at abbreviations and letter names for
connectors . . . Help!

Goodwill,
Luke

Shel-hed

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:35:36 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an old Roland VS-880 which does not have an optical output, but it
>does have a coxial digital output. I am trying to send the digital
>recordings to my computer in digital format. Roland does not have any
>equipment that can do that. Seems simple? Probably obscure.
>Please help; point me to the equipment that can do this. I have already
>spent hours on internet looking at abbreviations and letter names for
>connectors . . . Help!
>
>Goodwill,
>Luke

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...x?ObjectId=481
links to
http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/...3/vsappgd2.pdf

Page 94-- Mix 8 Tracks To Stereo DAT - Digitally
"3.Make sure that your DAT machine is set to record from itís digital input (S/P
DIF)"

So my guess is to go to the spdif input of your sound card.

If you want more than stereo out, I doubt it can do it, but I don't know. There
are user groups mentioned in the other PDF files on that page.

PeeCee

"The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49a71941$0$20293$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an old Roland VS-880 which does not have an optical output, but it
>does have a coxial digital output. I am trying to send the digital
>recordings to my computer in digital format. Roland does not have any
>equipment that can do that. Seems simple? Probably obscure.
> Please help; point me to the equipment that can do this. I have already
> spent hours on internet looking at abbreviations and letter names for
> connectors . . . Help!
>
> Goodwill,
> Luke

Try this

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optica.../dp/B000I98ZQY

Best
Paul.

The Stone Crusher

Thank you but there isn't any information there, nor does Roland have any
products that can solve my problem. I already checked.

"Shel-hed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:35:36 -0500, "The Stone Crusher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have an old Roland VS-880 which does not have an optical output, but it
>>does have a coxial digital output. I am trying to send the digital
>>recordings to my computer in digital format. Roland does not have any
>>equipment that can do that. Seems simple? Probably obscure.
>>Please help; point me to the equipment that can do this. I have already
>>spent hours on internet looking at abbreviations and letter names for
>>connectors . . . Help!
>>
>>Goodwill,
>>Luke
>>

> http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...x?ObjectId=481
> links to
> http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/...3/vsappgd2.pdf
>

> Page 94-- Mix 8 Tracks To Stereo DAT - Digitally
> "3.Make sure that your DAT machine is set to record from itís digital
> input (S/P
> DIF)"
>
> So my guess is to go to the spdif input of your sound card.
>
> If you want more than stereo out, I doubt it can do it, but I don't know.
> There
> are user groups mentioned in the other PDF files on that page.

The Stone Crusher

Thank you for the reply, but the VS-880 does not have an optical output.
Hmmm, maybe my PC has an optical input. I'll have to checkThanks again.
..

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:go7li0$i0u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "The Stone Crusher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:49a71941$0$20293$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have an old Roland VS-880 which does not have an optical output, but it
>>does have a coxial digital output. I am trying to send the digital
>>recordings to my computer in digital format. Roland does not have any
>>equipment that can do that. Seems simple? Probably obscure.
>> Please help; point me to the equipment that can do this. I have already
>> spent hours on internet looking at abbreviations and letter names for
>> connectors . . . Help!
>>
>> Goodwill,
>> Luke
>>

> Try this
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optica.../dp/B000I98ZQY
>
> Best
> Paul.

Shel-hed

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:05:49 +1300, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sorry got it the wrong way round, try this one:
>http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Coaxia...5776133&sr=1-1
>Paul.

He wants to send it to USB. I missed that bit too, because
*it was in the subject, not the ****ing body!*