Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC Boot sequence question

PC Boot sequence question

olfart

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gobn18$sbp$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> ================================================== =========
>>> BIOS update - that's a thought...never having done such before..is the
>>> process straight forward or do I need to get my more knowledgeable buddy
>>> to assist?
>>> Another couple bits of information...
>>> 1.From the first Gigabyte BIOS display its not possible to action
>>> anything from there..tried Delete key to enter BIOS...Nothing.
>>> 2. Also, may or may not be relevant...but when using Power Options..and
>>> having pc go into standby after so many minutes..it seems to do that ok,
>>> screen off etc - except the fans don't stop - ...but then will it come
>>> out of standby?...no it won't!...tried mouse and all
>>> keys...nothing...only way is to reboot.
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> John
>> The process is straight forware provided:
>> 1 You get the 'precise' correct bios for your model and 'version' of
>> motherboard.
>> This is one situation where close is 'not' good enough, it must be letter
>> for letter, number for number, stroke for stroke etc accurate.
>> 2 You read the instructions again and again until you understand them
>> completely.
>> 3 You 'never' ever turn the PC off in mid update, ie best to run it from
>> a UPS in case of power cuts.
>> The average UPS should run long enough to cover a Bios update.
>>
>> I haven't done a Gigabyte for a while but it is (qualified) easier these
>> days than it used to be.

> ============================
> SUCCESS!!!!
>
> .......was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
> ...last throw....disconnected all devices..
> ...ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
> external hard
> drive....then switched on...all ok...
> ....reattached the devices one by one...
> ...and guess which was the culprit?
> ...the **** external hard drive!!
> ...unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard
> drive
> and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
> Thanks very much for your help!
> All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and how
> remedy.
> Thanks again,
> ===========

because Seagate is crap...along with most "special external drives" with
added crap like Free Agent, etc.
Try to format the Seagate and get any crap off of it that they might have
put on.

John Smith

"攸hw不f" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> John Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> pinched out a steaming pile

> system?

> the CPU

> don't

> bios

> your one.

> the

> buddy

> Options..and

> that ok,

> come
>>>>

>>> John
>>> The process is straight forware provided:
>>> 1 You get the 'precise' correct bios for your model and 'version' of
>>> motherboard.
>>> This is one situation where close is 'not' good enough, it must be

> letter
>>> for letter, number for number, stroke for stroke etc accurate.
>>> 2 You read the instructions again and again until you understand

> them
>>> completely.
>>> 3 You 'never' ever turn the PC off in mid update, ie best to run it

> from a
>>> UPS in case of power cuts.
>>> The average UPS should run long enough to cover a Bios update.
>>>
>>> I haven't done a Gigabyte for a while but it is (qualified) easier

> these
>>> days than it used to be.

>>============================
>>SUCCESS!!!!
>>
>>.......was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
>>...last throw....disconnected all devices..
>>...ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
>>external hard
>>drive....then switched on...all ok...
>>....reattached the devices one by one...
>>...and guess which was the culprit?
>>...the **** external hard drive!!
>>...unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard

> drive
>>and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
>>Thanks very much for your help!
>>All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and

> how to
>>remedy.
>>Thanks again,
>>===========
>>

> Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
> for a boot sector on that drive.
>
> FYI
> HTH
> HAND
>===============

Why would it do that since the bios tells to boot from one of the named
internal hard drives?

YourName

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gobn18$sbp$(E-Mail Removed):
<bunch'o'snippage>
> ============================
> SUCCESS!!!!
>
> .......was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
> ...last throw....disconnected all devices..
> ...ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
> external hard
> drive....then switched on...all ok...
> ....reattached the devices one by one...
> ...and guess which was the culprit?
> ...the **** external hard drive!!
> ...unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard
> drive and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
> Thanks very much for your help!
> All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and
> how to remedy.
> Thanks again,
> ===========

I personally do NOT like Seagate drives.;/

That is why there was a variety, until Seagate bought Western Digital, who
owns Maxtor. Yuk, that was a mouthful.

John Smith

"YourName" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9BC082EAF2BFFYourEmailYourEmailin@69.16.18 6.8...
> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gobn18$sbp$(E-Mail Removed):
> <bunch'o'snippage>
>> ============================
>> SUCCESS!!!!
>>
>> .......was just about to start the dreaded BIOS updating...
>> ...last throw....disconnected all devices..
>> ...ie 2 x hard drives, CD/DVD drive, printer, scanner, sound box and
>> external hard
>> drive....then switched on...all ok...
>> ....reattached the devices one by one...
>> ...and guess which was the culprit?
>> ...the **** external hard drive!!
>> ...unplugged the USB connected 500GB Seagate Free Agent external hard
>> drive and all ok ie no double bios execution!!..
>> Thanks very much for your help!
>> All I need to do now if determine why the Seagate is causing such and
>> how to remedy.
>> Thanks again,
>> ===========

> I personally do NOT like Seagate drives.;/
>
> That is why there was a variety, until Seagate bought Western Digital, who
> owns Maxtor. Yuk, that was a mouthful.

===============
But do you have any idea why/how the external hard drive would throw up this
double bios execution at boot up?

G. Morgan

攸hw不f wrote:

>Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
>for a boot sector on that drive.

Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in the
BIOS.

攸hw不f

G. Morgan wrote:
> 攸hw不f wrote:
>
>> Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
>> for a boot sector on that drive.

> Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in the
> BIOS.

Really? I usually resort to Magic 8 Ball...

--
http://www.palindeception.com/
http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

G. Morgan

攸hw不f wrote:

>G. Morgan wrote:
>> 攸hw不f wrote:
>>
>>> Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
>>> for a boot sector on that drive.

>> Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in the
>> BIOS.

>Really? I usually resort to Magic 8 Ball...

I remember having a similar weird problem with a box that wouldn't boot with
an external USB drive attached.

Evan Platt

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 02:10:41 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Very *much* so. You either get the *exact* right one or you end up with a
>doorstop - *completely* dead.

Or, you get a BIOS update that refuses to update if it's not the
correct update.

John Smith

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) alid...
> 攸hw不f wrote:
>
>>Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
>>for a boot sector on that drive.

> Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in
> the
> BIOS.

====================
Excellent. TVM. That did the trick.

G. Morgan

John Smith wrote:

>"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) valid...
>> 攸hw不f wrote:
>>
>>>Lucky you. You have a BIOS that can boot from USB drive. Its looking
>>>for a boot sector on that drive.

>> Not necessarily. I would advise the OP to look at "Legacy USB Support" in
>> the
>> BIOS.

>Excellent. TVM. That did the trick.

You're welcome. Sometimes that magic 8-ball is right.