Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Silverlight - What is going on

Silverlight - What is going on

Lloyd Sheen

I posted a problem with install of Silverlight (have given up on attempting
to get the tools to work with VS 200. Finally got it to install on Vista.

Went to a couple of sites and all was well.

Ok , now I go to the MS site
http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvi...px?video=57010 and what does it
want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is installed.
Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I know there is
supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there and prompt the
user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!

Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.

LS

Lloyd Sheen

"Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I posted a problem with install of Silverlight (have given up on attempting
>to get the tools to work with VS 200. Finally got it to install on
>Vista.
>
> Went to a couple of sites and all was well.
>
> Ok , now I go to the MS site
> http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvi...px?video=57010 and what does it
> want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
> installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
> know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
> and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!
>

> Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
> programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.
>
> LS

More WTF!!

http://silverlight.net/showcase/

In IE I get a "X Install Silverlight" , "X" is for the fact that the image
is not found.

In Chrome I see the whole thing. Is it IE (just installed IE8 RC1
yesterday) or Silverlight.

LS

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

This is most likely an IE8 issue if you are seeing it in Chrome.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Blog:

| Think outside the box |
"Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OcVPT$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I posted a problem with install of Silverlight (have given up on
>>attempting to get the tools to work with VS 200. Finally got it to
>>install on Vista.
>>
>> Went to a couple of sites and all was well.
>>
>> Ok , now I go to the MS site
>> http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvi...px?video=57010 and what does it
>> want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
>> installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
>> know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
>> and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!
>>

>> Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
>> programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.
>>
>> LS

> More WTF!!
>
> http://silverlight.net/showcase/
>
> In IE I get a "X Install Silverlight" , "X" is for the fact that the image
> is not found.
>
> In Chrome I see the whole thing. Is it IE (just installed IE8 RC1
> yesterday) or Silverlight.
>
> LS

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Do you have the latest Silverlight bits? I do and I am not having any issues
with the video.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Blog:

| Think outside the box |
"Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I posted a problem with install of Silverlight (have given up on attempting
>to get the tools to work with VS 200. Finally got it to install on
>Vista.
>
> Went to a couple of sites and all was well.
>
> Ok , now I go to the MS site
> http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvi...px?video=57010 and what does it
> want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
> installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
> know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
> and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!
>

> Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
> programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.
>
> LS

Tom Walker

"Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OcVPT$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Ok , now I go to the MS site
>> http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvi...px?video=57010 and what does it
>> want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
>> installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
>> know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
>> and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!

Silverlight doesn't work in a 64-bit browser (and neither does Flash).
Might that be the problem?

Lloyd Sheen

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which image ? Trying now and the site works here. Also ok with the
> video... If you have really an image it could be a more general problem ?
>
> What if you try :
> - http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight...s/install.aspx
>
> It should display which version is installed (I installed version
> Silverlight 2 GDR 1 (2.0.40115.0))
>
> If you have a developer setup DON'T install from there.
> http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/ is likely preferred and in particular
> you have the new runtime installs... Have you followed all the steps
> (including VS 2008 SP1 as well as the Silverlight Tools and then the
> updated developer runtime ?)
>
> For now it worked well for me (or could it be a IE8 issue ? was IE8
> installed before or after Silvelight ?)
>
> --
> Patrice
>

> "Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
> OcVPT$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I posted a problem with install of Silverlight (have given up on
>>>attempting to get the tools to work with VS 200. Finally got it to
>>>install on Vista.
>>>
>>> Went to a couple of sites and all was well.
>>>
>>> Ok , now I go to the MS site
>>> http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvi...px?video=57010 and what does
>>> it want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
>>> installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
>>> know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
>>> and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!
>>>

>>> Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
>>> programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.
>>>
>>> LS

>> More WTF!!
>>
>> http://silverlight.net/showcase/
>>
>> In IE I get a "X Install Silverlight" , "X" is for the fact that the
>> image is not found.
>>
>> In Chrome I see the whole thing. Is it IE (just installed IE8 RC1
>> yesterday) or Silverlight.
>>
>> LS

The image is the "X" shown when an image is not available (tried in several
browsers). If I go to a site with Silverlight it now works. The stupid MS
site for Silverlight does not. It does not think it is installed.

I go to the site http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight...s/install.aspx
and it indicates an install is necessary (if the Install shows when that
condition exists). In the Silverlight gallery I go to one of the sites :
http://amegas.org/index.php and it works. The about which is brought up
shows version 2.0.40115.0

I have assume that since it works on some sites MS has no idea of how to
detect it. I guess it is good that people other than MS can make it work.
All in all it is a very confusing and not at all professional.

LS

Lloyd Sheen

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which image ? Trying now and the site works here. Also ok with the
> video... If you have really an image it could be a more general problem ?
>
> What if you try :
> - http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight...s/install.aspx
>
> It should display which version is installed (I installed version
> Silverlight 2 GDR 1 (2.0.40115.0))
>
> If you have a developer setup DON'T install from there.
> http://silverlight.net/GetStarted/ is likely preferred and in particular
> you have the new runtime installs... Have you followed all the steps
> (including VS 2008 SP1 as well as the Silverlight Tools and then the
> updated developer runtime ?)
>
> For now it worked well for me (or could it be a IE8 issue ? was IE8
> installed before or after Silvelight ?)
>
> --
> Patrice
>

> "Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
> OcVPT$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I posted a problem with install of Silverlight (have given up on
>>>attempting to get the tools to work with VS 200. Finally got it to
>>>install on Vista.
>>>
>>> Went to a couple of sites and all was well.
>>>
>>> Ok , now I go to the MS site
>>> http://silverlight.net/learn/learnvi...px?video=57010 and what does
>>> it want me to do???? Install Silverlight. So what gives??? It is
>>> installed. Is this just about the stupidest piece of software ever??? I
>>> know there is supposed to be a way to determine if the software is there
>>> and prompt the user to install. IT IS INSTALLED!!!
>>>

>>> Is there anyone who can help with this. After nearly 40 years of
>>> programming experience this takes the cake. Adobe don't worry.
>>>
>>> LS

>> More WTF!!
>>
>> http://silverlight.net/showcase/
>>
>> In IE I get a "X Install Silverlight" , "X" is for the fact that the
>> image is not found.
>>
>> In Chrome I see the whole thing. Is it IE (just installed IE8 RC1
>> yesterday) or Silverlight.
>>
>> LS

Patrice,

The bottom line seems to be that sites other than MS seem to work fine
for example http://www.smoothhd.com/. If I go to the home page of MS I get
the "Experience this is Silverlight - Download...." jpg.

I found other sites that would not recognize Silverlight but not many.
Just MS. MS does not recognize its own software. How pathetic.

LS