Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WLAN Error: "The key is provided for me automatically" does not work

WLAN Error: "The key is provided for me automatically" does not work

Alan Hobley

I can connect to a wireless lan accesspoint successfully by using the proprietary Intel ProSet WLAN Utility.

When I shutdown this Intel Utility and use the built-in WinXP WLAN tool then I cannot connect.

moreover I found in the WLAN setup dialog a checkbox labelled
"The key is provided for me automatically"
which is currently enabled.

From whom is the key provided?

Is only the key or the Authentication and Encryption method provided as well?

Why does the connect not work? Keep in mind that the hardware and general win drivers itself are ok
because I successfully connect through the Intel WLAN tool.

Al

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The LogOn of the Wireless has to be set according to the needs of the
source.
What ever it is set to right now probably does not match the Wireless source
and need to be changed to match it.
I can not tell you more since you did not provided and info about what and
how you suppose to connect to.
In general.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
it is Off)
MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
easily Spoofed).
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
-------------------
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
Setting Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
<http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Alan Hobley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49a6a198$0$31870$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
>I can connect to a wireless lan accesspoint successfully by using the
>proprietary Intel ProSet WLAN Utility.
>
> When I shutdown this Intel Utility and use the built-in WinXP WLAN tool
> then I cannot connect.
>
> moreover I found in the WLAN setup dialog a checkbox labelled
> "The key is provided for me automatically"
> which is currently enabled.
>
> From whom is the key provided?
>
> Is only the key or the Authentication and Encryption method provided as
> well?
>
> Why does the connect not work? Keep in mind that the hardware and general
> win drivers itself are ok
> because I successfully connect through the Intel WLAN tool.
>
> Al

neil

Perhaps the key is not provided automatically and you need to enter your
key. When security do you use WEP or WPA.
Neil
"Alan Hobley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49a6a198$0$31870$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
>I can connect to a wireless lan accesspoint successfully by using the
>proprietary Intel ProSet WLAN Utility.
>
> When I shutdown this Intel Utility and use the built-in WinXP WLAN tool
> then I cannot connect.
>
> moreover I found in the WLAN setup dialog a checkbox labelled
> "The key is provided for me automatically"
> which is currently enabled.
>
> From whom is the key provided?
>
> Is only the key or the Authentication and Encryption method provided as
> well?
>
> Why does the connect not work? Keep in mind that the hardware and general
> win drivers itself are ok
> because I successfully connect through the Intel WLAN tool.
>
> Al

John Wunderlich

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Alan Hobley) wrote in
news:49a6a198$0$31870$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net:

> I can connect to a wireless lan accesspoint successfully by using
> the proprietary Intel ProSet WLAN Utility.
>
> When I shutdown this Intel Utility and use the built-in WinXP WLAN
> tool then I cannot connect.
>
> moreover I found in the WLAN setup dialog a checkbox labelled
> "The key is provided for me automatically"
> which is currently enabled.
>
> From whom is the key provided?
>
> Is only the key or the Authentication and Encryption method
> provided as well?
>
> Why does the connect not work? Keep in mind that the hardware and
> general win drivers itself are ok because I successfully connect
> through the Intel WLAN tool.

A lot of details are missing.

In general, the Intel's WLAN software supports more encryption and
security methods than does the Windows tool. What version of XP do
you have? WinXP SP2 does not support WPA2 without a hotfix. SP3
will support WPA2. What kind of encryption is configured in your
router? Is this a home network or a business enterprise installation?
Some enterprise level encryption requires that you authenticate to a
central server which then enables access to the network.

HTH,
John